iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Midwest log cabin species

Started by Faron, February 09, 2006, 07:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faron

A customer inquired yesterday about building a log cabin in southern Indiana.  His first question was what species to use.  I think the old cabins left around here are mostly white oak, but I would think that is out of the question for this project.  We have abundant tulip poplar here, ash, sweet gum, soft maple, among other species. Sassafras grows here, but it is difficult to find trees large enough for this that have solid hearts.  How about post oak?  If I remember correctly, that is a white oak species that has lots of pin knots.  Might that be a good choice?   I would think the ash, gum and soft maple would be out of the question due to insect concerns, and I question the poplar as well.  There is a little bit of what I think is Virginia pine here and there, too.  It has knots around the tree every three feet or so, but are still pretty sound.  I don't  know much about pine.  Any suggestions?  I tried search for the answer, but struck out.  Thanks, Faron
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Don P

White oak was the preferred tree the old timers seemed to use, at least around here they used smaller trees than you might think, usually about 10-12" tops.
I've also noticed that they used what they had, there are old time songs about the poplar cabin and I have one to repair at some point in the future. They do open up some big checks.
Your description sounds like white pine but it might just be the way I'm reading it  :). Virginia pine is pretty active while it dries, white pine pretty much just lays there. But I'm starting to set logs on what I think is a loblolly cabin next week, I can already see a couple logs that ain't gonna get it.

thedeeredude

They used whatever was on hand for log cabins.  Poplar, oak, chestnut, walnut, pine, beech.  Poplar and white oak are good choices I guess. 

Thank You Sponsors!