iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The deadliest Catch

Started by Tillaway, February 08, 2006, 09:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tillaway

http://www.tillamookheadlightherald.com/news/story.cfm?story_no=5747

One of my co-workers was upset today... she new the owner pretty well.  I guess it was his first boat and it was not in the best of shape since it was all he could afford.  I guess it was his first season with it although he has fished crab since high school. 
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Frank_Pender

Yea, I heard that he was a very well liked fella.  He had spent hundreds of hours working on his boat in the Astoria area.  Logging and commercial fishing; the two most dangerous occupations there are. :'(
Frank Pender

logwalker

My father and I sport-fished out of Garibaldi for many years. In fact the last time we fished together was there about three years ago. He passed away just before Christmas at 84. He taught me most of what I know on that bar. I feel terrible when I hear about the brave souls that go down. I know how frightening and lonely it can be in those situations especially at night. Thanks Tillaway for bringing this up. I do enjoy reading the Oregon Boy's posts. I grew up ouside Portland. I am up in the San Juan Islands now. If you guys ever get up this way look us up. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

sawguy21

Sounds like inexperience plus a poorly equipped boat plus treacherous waters added up to a tragedy. Tough for everyone connected to them but like Frank says, commercial fishing ranks right up there with logging as the most dangerous professions. My heart goes out to the families and friends.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

logwalker

Well as to the treacherous there can be no doubt. But as to the inexperience or poorly equiped boat I didn't read anything int his post or in the newspaper article to suggest that. I do know, and tillaway would probally agree, that the bar at Garibaldi is badly silted in and waves can be breaking across it at almost anytime. A couple years ago a charter boat was lost there with about 9 lives lost. If the skipper has been fishing on that coast since high school he has seen plenty of green water, EH?
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Tillaway

In my opinion its the worst ocean bar on the west coast that still has regular commercial fishing traffic.  How the waves break there can only be described as a seething cauldron at low tide.  So far this winter the bar has killed four people.  It doesn't matter how new the boat is... one rogue wave and you are toast.  Another boat barely made it in as well that night.  I guess there was a serious pucker factor involved in that crossing.  I suspect the boat got in the bad spot on the sunken jetty and broached or pitch-poled.

The folks that fish here know the risks.  They spend allot of time tied to the dock waiting for the bar to settle down enough to get out... once you are out you may have to head for another port if the weather starts getting rough.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

sawguy21

logwalker, I picked up on the fact it was his first boat and not in the best of shape due to budget constraints. Was he an experienced skipper or had he spent his time as a deckhand? That is a nasty piece of real estate and not for the faint hearted.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

logwalker

I know a great old gal over in Prineville that fished Alaska with her husband now deceased. She told me a story about coming into Newport one night late and the bar was kicking up a little. The boat was a steel 200 footer in excellant condition. They jogged in place to get a feel for the sets and while doing so go caught nearly broadside by a rouge from the NW. Rolled the boat completely over into the mouth of the jetties. They self-righted and continued on in. The coast guard scrambled on someones call and met them under the bridge. The old gal had a fresh pot of coffe on and served them a cup when they came aboard. The funniest part was they found the margerine plate stuck to the light fixture in the galley. Judy McNabb. Husband was Buster. LW

D._Frederick

On the TV Wednesday, they were taking about the owner and captain of this boat, said that he called a friend about an hour before trying to cross the bar. 'Told the friend that this boat would be his death yet".

The news people interviewed a lady that has a house overlooking the jetty, said that she had to get up and looked out her living room window and saw bright lites on the end of the south jetty. Said that she saw flares then the lites going into the water. Said she called the Coast Guard.

I have gone over this bar close to a hundred times since 1964 and it always leaves a person with a dry mouth. It was pretty good bar when the South jetty was built and the North jetty made longer. The newspaper was saying that the jetty is now a 1000ft shorter.

The last years that I fished, I would go out of  Depot Bay, when you would go under hiway 101 bridge, you had about 300 ft to go and you were in the ocean. The is no bar there to fight.

Anyway, this poor guy bought an over the hill boat with a lot of problems and lost his life for about $1200 worth of craps.

logwalker

The best thing I can say about it is he was doing exactly what he wanted to be doing. I hope I'm right.

I've stopped and looked many times but never left out of Depot Bay. It looks Dang scary from the bridge. But boats use it nearly everyday and I can't remember hearing of a problem. What is the procedure for two boats meeting? I always wondered.

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Bad Bad news. I also crab commercially for the Blue Claw. D. Fred. the article said 1200 pounds and you mention $1200. I don't know about out there but in these parts I could get about $3000 for blue claw  crabs this time of year.
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

D._Frederick

When they started fishing for crab, they settled on a price of $1.30+ a lb. They had fresh crab in Safeway, for less than $ 3 per lb this past week. I haven't see any prices they are getting now. By the looks of some of the crab boats, it is apparent that they are not getting rich.

They did say 1200lbs and am sorry for my error.

Going out of Depot Bay a 6AM is never a problem, every body is going that way. Coming in you get on the CB and inform other boats of incoming traffic. If you are going in or out on low tide, it is tight, maybe about 50ft. You just hope that the CG in not going out at full throttle.

sawmill_john

It's serious business, I know when me and my buddies go fishing at Tillamook bay we don't screw around, I've seen boats flip over on a good flat day.  All it takes is being in the right place at the wrong time,  here's a picture from October the bar was closed and the jaws were danG rough, we managed to pull a 24 pounder out by the tower, but didn't feel like spending all morning bobbing like a cork. 
I don't do well in lumpy water, some would call me a puker, and I would agree.   

I always hate to hear about boats going down but if your on a boat you have to realize thats if a possiblity, you can only prepare for so much. 
What ever the reason or cause it still hurts.

Dana

Is this the same bar Field and Stream magazine did an article on several years ago? The article was about a charter fishing boat that capsized off a bar. Most of the people on board didn't survive.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Deadwood

My heart goes out to the family...

Growing up here in Maine we have a lot of commercial fishing going on (I lobster part time myself) and we have a lot of vessels that go down. A few years ago we had a Russian Freighter split a scollop dragger right in half...it never even stopped...only the Captain survived. We just found out last week they dropped all charges against the vessel because dealing with the extridiction from Russia would have been too tough.

I graduated in 1992 and so far 10 of my school mates have been killed in fishing accidents. My ex-wife was a commercial fisherman, my Brother-in-Law is a CF and so are many, many of my friends. It's a tough profession to say the least.

On my website I have a story about the Candy B II that went down. All four people were friends/ family. (The oldest was 38 and the youngest was 17). Too bad.

As I said, my heart goes out to the families!

Candy B II

Thank You Sponsors!