iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pin Oak

Started by vet, February 08, 2006, 03:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vet

I have had several Red Oak trees cut into lumber over the last 10 years.  I have access to a large Pin Oak tree and was wondering how it stacks up to Red Oak.  If it is quality lumber I will take the trouble to haul it to my sawyer.  I am sure some of you have had experience with it.  Around here I keep getting the story "a friend of a friend of a friend says Pin Oak isn't any good for furniture wood"  This is a quality log and very hard for me to see it turned into firewood.
Dave
Just a part time woodworker

footer

I have heard the same thing, But I have sawn some,2-3,000 BDFT, with good results. Pin oak is red oak, and the wood looks just like northern red oak. It does have a tendancy to stink, but you don't notice it much when dry. If it is a good log, then I would saw it up!

vet

Footer,
thanks for the reply.  I have been reading the forum for several years and knew someone would have experience with Pin Oak.  This tree is 30 inches at the base and 20 ft to the first branch so I think I can get two 8 ft logs and about 500 bd ft for real cheap.  If nothing else I can use it for drawer sides, etc.
Thanks again,
Dave

beenthere

vet
No better time than now to check it out.  I've heard overall, pin oak doesn't have the quality that red oak has, but that doesn't mean there are not any good quality pin oak. Never know for sure til you open it up. Pin oak is known to hold onto its lower branches longer, be they alive or just hang on and dead. These branches make for lousy lumber quality.
If someone has cleaned up the limbs on the 'bole' of the tree years ago, then likely there is good quality wood laid down over the years, and you will get some high grade from the logs.
We'd be interested in hearing what you find out when you get it sawn into lumber.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

vet

beenthere,
I will let you know how it comes out.  I think I am going to get the time this weekend to get it to my sawyer.  I usually gets right on it.
Dave

ksu_chainsaw

Pin oak makes real good "rustic" furniture and paneling.  Since most logs have the knots in them from the branches, it looks like the lumber has been used, or similar to the rustic pine paneling.

Charles

flip

BLECH!!  I cut some up for display stands a few weeks ago and put the fans to it to get it a little less stinky :(  YUCK  Who here called it vomit wood and pissoak was 110% correct. 

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

vet

Charles,
I have never met you but you are already my friend.  I am a KSU alumni and follow the Cats as best I can out in Illini country.  Looking forward to next football season. 
Dave

Ron Wenrich

I have cut well over a couple 100 Mbf of that stuff.  The color is more brown than red, and there are often black streaks in it.  I don't think the grain is as pronounced as it is on the other oaks.

There are several problems with pin oak.  All the knots, and most of them aren't sound.  The smell is usually caused by bacteria in the wood.  That bacteria leads to shake, and shake is very prevalent in pin oak.  

Out of all the pin oak I have sawn, very little was grade quality.  Most goes into ties and pallets.  

If its a yard tree, then there is also the problem of trash metal.  A yard tree may be a little better quality due to the better growing site.  In the forest, pin oak usually grows in swampy, pooly drained areas.  

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

GlennG

Pin Oak is also very hard, dulls blades quick and cuts slooowwwwww.  But if it were free and in need of wood I`d cut it, at the least you`d find out if it was worth your while. You gotta try every wood once to build knowledge.

Glenn

Part_Timer

Vet

I have q sawn several of them and have sold every bf.  I have a standing order for 500bf of it when I get it cut.  I have 2 customers that make rustic cabinets and side tables out of it.

Yes it stinks but I get $1.25 per bf green.  To me it smells so sweet.

I'll try and find marty's pictures of the side table he made.

Hay Marty stop lurking around and regester and get you pictures on here.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Part_Timer

Vet

I can't fine marty's pictures.  Give me a day or 3 to see if I can get him to resend them.  Sorry

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

HOGFARMER

A lot of pin oak is used in our part of the country.  I used it to build a corn crib quite a while ago.  It has held up well.  I have also seen it used for floors.  I have seen some that is of poor quality and some that was very nice.
Manual LT-30

vet

Part Timer,
That sweet smell reminds me of when I was in 8th grade I started milking cows for the neighbor 2 1/2 miles down the road.  I would come home after milking and all my sisters would say how bad I stunk and my dad would say that is the sweet smell of money.  I would appreciate a picture if you can find it.  Where's Marty when you need him?
Dave

MGHGrand

ok you caught me lurking, Tom I tried to upload picutres but mine are  in Jpeg and the site won't allow for that.  I will just email them to you.

Part_Timer

MARTY!!!!!!!!!

Great to see ya here.  Just sent em to me and I'll fix em for ya.  Next time your up here I'll show ya how to do it.  Jpeg isn't the problem.  I'll explain next drop off at work.

Have a good weekend

Tom

Just wait till ya see this side table.  It may start a stinky oak furniture trend.  :D :D :D
Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

Kirk_Allen

I have q-sawn quite a bit of Pin Oak with good results.  I have about 200 bf of q-sawn on hand if anyone is looking for some  ;D

woodnut

I had to go out and smell the pin oak I had, especially after flip said '' belch''. It had a smell but was'nt  belch, if you ask me. The red oak I had ,had no smell compared to the pin oak. I always thought I'd use it to trim out a window. I think a lot and do a little. No wife pushin-inspirin me. The boards were from a branch-I know a no no, and they did have some small notty spots. I'd probably use it and see if it smells in the house before I'd cut any more boards. my 2 cents...

beenthere

About the smell.
Go back a few replies to Ron's 
Quote.............  The smell is usually caused by bacteria in the wood.  That bacteria leads to shake, and shake is very prevalent in pin oak. 

All the pin oak doesn't have that smell if it isn't infected with the bacteria. And, other than some associated color change, it doens't persist after the wood is dried, so it won't smell in the house if used there, from my understanding.   The infected wood is more difficult to dry as noted, and is separated from non-infected oak in some large drying operations.  In the 70's, there was some talk of training sniffer dogs to detect this infected oak in a mill just so it could be separated for kiln drying. Don't think that happened - yet  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

vet

The Pin Oak is cut and the first 8 ft. log looked very good with very few if any knots.  The second 8ft log I had cut into 2 1/2 inch slabs and it has a few visible knots.  I had the first log QS and can't see as much ray and fleck as the Red oak or White oak I have cut up in the past.  It doesn't smell bad to me, smells pretty much like all oak does.  I kind of like the Oak smell.  I jointed one surfgace of one board to get a better look at it and I like the color.  I can't wait for it to dry.  Thanks to all.  Dave

Part_Timer

Vet

I didn't forget about your pics.  Marty sent them to me friday but I wasn't there.  So here they are.

I cut all the pin oak I can get my hands on.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

getoverit

now that is a beautiful cabinet !!! good job !!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

vet

Part timer,
Beautiful matching of the boards.  That is the art of wood working, somthing that I am still working on.  If I can make something like that I will be glad I had the tree cut up.  Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Dave

Part_Timer

Vet

Marty does some unbelievable work.  I'll see if I can get him send me the pictures of his computer desk and mirror.

I'm going to try and get him some book matched hickory out of the next 2 or three logs.  I'm not sure what it will be for but I bet it's nice.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

Buzz-sawyer

Hi vet
I just noticed that you live in Jersey county?!?
That means you live within 30 minutes of me....let me know if ya wanna visit some time....jim Bius is a member here and also a county resident ;) :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!