iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NOVA Jack skidding cone

Started by breese, February 08, 2006, 11:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

breese

Anybody have any experience with one of these?  I do some small scale logging with a farm tractor in upstate NY.  I thought one of these cones would save some rutting of my woods roads and maybe allow me to skid a little easier.
Also, any suggestions on homemade options, like a log sled or something like that.
Thanks for any advice.  Really enjoy the forums here.

beenthere

If you are not presently lifting the front end of the skidded log, then a cone will likely help a lot.
I at least lift the end of the log and just drag the tail because I don't want all the dirt in the bark (plus the rut in the woods and road). The cone works well too when pulling the log through the woods as it lessens the tendancy to hang up on roots and other trees. But it just guides the leading end of the log. The log can still sideswipe other trees and cause the bark to be damaged which is not good for the remaining stand. Some trees stay along the skid trail for just that purpose however.  :)

Personnaly, I wouldn't spend the $$ on a cone, but then I don't have the steep woods that I can't usually get close to the log with my tractor. If I was winching logs up a slope, then I'd have a cone for sure. Wouldn't like hauling it around however, and trying to keep track of it so it was available when needed.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

moosehunter

Breese,
I don't know about cones, just wanted to say Hi! I live about 1 hour from you. Hang around, you will find much good advise and a few laughs here :).
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

ksu_chainsaw

When I was cutting firewood in a small timber, I found an old truck hood, and used it to skid the logs out of the bottom of the ditch.  It was a whole lot cheaper, and if I broke it, I could just weld it back together.

Charles

slowzuki

VW Beetle hoods used to be popular 8)

Kevin

The problem with the cone is the size of the log is limited.

Dale Hatfield

I have worked with the Cone.
I think its best use is for gathering of pulp size trees from a thinning. or firewood removal (tops ) after logging.
The cone limits size of log but allows many firewood poles to be bunched and pulled.
I wouldnt buy the cone without the redirection open  face pulley.  Makes snaking a drag out much better than dragging it up  the sides of every tree in the woods.

Dale Hatfield
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Ron Scott

I've seen a lot of wood skidded with old car or truck hoods years back. ;)
~Ron

Swede

< http://www.skogma.de/shop/ > Art.-nr. 340 4111-00

Long time now since we talked about Domänsaxen  :D Have seen many on my milling tour the last year. More or less worn out.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=5237.0;all

We also have plastic cones, all worn out.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Coon

I have personally found these skidding cones to be almost useless.  Our woodlot is ver rough and we have alot of new growth coming in .  We have  found that the cone does considerable damage to the new growth and when it goes ever them it does sometimes break the little trees off.  You have little control of the direction of the cone when skidding as well.  In the winter cold, trail-side stumps do the cone no good.  The cones often crack when they come into contact with the frozen stumps.  Once cracked the cone does not last as it keeps traveling eventually breaking the cone in two.
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

3ridge

breese,
I don't know how it would work with a tractor, but I have a Nova Jack cone and pully I use with a fourwheeler to cut my firewood and couldn't be happier with it.  Takes up to 20" trees. I've had 16" logs in it.  It seems very durable and if and when I wear this one out I'll certinly buy anouther.
Dan.

Thank You Sponsors!