iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price for logging

Started by Sawyerfortyish, February 05, 2006, 09:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

I just sighned a timber contract for about 900 trees. Half the farm is being sold it's some 600 acres I own the timber on the part being sold. They want to move up the closing date giving me about 6 months to cut and remove the timber. Theres no way I can do it in this time I knew that when I bought it. My cousin is a logger in PA and where he is theres no work at this time so I want to contract with him to cut and skid. He came and looked and wants to do it. So whats the best way thats fair to both of us to pay him without measuring every single log on the landing. When I cut timber I go up in the top higher than most for low grade and I pull a portion of firewood as well as loping the top down for neat job. This is how I told him I want it done. He does not have a skidder I do. But he was talking of getting a bigger skidder (rent or lease) to pull more at a time. He is used to being paid by the bdft on scribner scale. I bought this job on Doyle. I would like to pay him by the day/week but don't know what a fair price this way would be using my skidder. Or if he gets a skidder. He feels confident that he can finish the job in the time allowed. I also should add he has his own insurance so that is not an issue. There are many variables as to figuring out how to pay him. I have to take into consideration weather, machinery breakdown, distance of skid (about a mile for a portion of  trees) size of timber (all 17"dbh and larger) also his commute from home or lodging he is three hours away. Does anyone know whats a going rate for cutting and skidding for a day? How would some of you guys go about this?

TexasTimbers

Well I have very little experience from a logger/forestry standpoint but I do have alot of business experience, and this is a business deal.
All things considered, I would offer an hourly (although that offends some) or better yet since weather can affect a weekly rate I'd offer him a day rate you two can both agree on.
His motivation is that right now he has no work if I understand. He knows what he needs per day to meet his needs. You can offer to cover all his  expenses plus a day rate. Your job is to find out what that figure is and see if it's at or below what you can pay and still have this business transaction make sense for you.
You aren't in the business of charity but you don't want to take advantage of someone (although I doubt he'll let that happen) and compromise your integrity. He might not even consider doing it any way other than what he's used to,but then again he might like the idea. You also have to consider, if he does take a day rate, is he the type of person that would "milk" a job? You might add that you'll have to hold him to the number of days which he says he can finish the job, and if it goes over that unless weather etc. then of course he'll still have to finish it but without further pay. There's the motivation to not milk it.
Soooooooo it's negotiation time ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

dewwood

In this area most logging is done by the 1000 bd ft when done on a contract basis.  It is so much to cut and so much to skid to the landing and usually buck up, if trucking is involved that also is so much a 1000.  It is not too difficult to come up with the footage figures and I am sure you will want this information anyway.  As far as the skidder is concerned if he uses your skidder then just rent it to him or make an adjustment in the pay per 1000 for the skidding.  A mile long skid sounds like a pretty long one, is there anyway to make it shorter(another landing)?

Hope it works out for both of you.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Sawyerfortyish

On making a closer landing i'm looking into it right now but because theres no frost in the ground and with all the rain we've had I kind of don't think it gonna happen. My cousin had thought of putting a landing in the middle of the woods until he seen the job. It's uphill all the way from where the landing is going to be.I'm in the process of building a new picker truck and it aint going to be drug into the woods by no skidder.
  I think the best way for me is a day rate. My cousin is a real worker and I'm told that he's hard to keep up with in the woods. I'm not worried about him milking the job he's not that type. I guess I need to find out what kind of figure he's looking for and see if it works for me.

ely

it may not help you much or at all. i was looking into this earlier and heard back from a man that cuts and skids for his work. he said he generally gets 3.50 a ton for his cutting and skidding. this is in se okla. so if he skids out 100 ton a day he makes 350$. not sure what that would be bdft wise

OLD_ JD

I was waiting to see what kind of advice you will receive here  Sawyerfortyish ... :-[..I  will try to help if I can ;)..i will suggested u to go by hour's wage and add some log and firewood bonus at the end of the contract, that should be a good compromise between a good job done by hour's rate and a stump fee job who they just harvest the best wood ,only my 2 cent's hope that can help  JD
canadien forest ranger

Ed_K

I charge by the bf, anywhere from $80 - $150 depending on how tough and lenght of skid. If the land owner wants everything down to 2" hauled its by the hr.
I like Old JD s advice for your job needs. Its a real resonable idea.
Ed K

OLD_ JD

By keeping a low hour's wage + some bonus it can make at my advise the best  reasonable offer so far... ::) ...we all know them it's only when the job is done then you really find out "how much you made"  ;) from there you can adjust your bonus
canadien forest ranger

Thank You Sponsors!