iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you identify this tree only by the leaves?

Started by Mesquite Man, October 27, 2002, 07:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesquite Man

I would like to see if anyone can identify this tree only by the leaves.  This is not a contest and I do not know the answer.  It is a wild tree but I will tell you what part of the country after I have some suggestions so as to not bias your answer.  I have a suspicion as to what it is but wanted your opinion before I say.

Thanks

"Mesquite Man"
Curtis O. Seebeck
TimberKing 1220

Mesquite Man

"Mesquite Man"
Curtis O. Seebeck
TimberKing 1220

Bro. Noble

I'm guessing a member of the Hawthorne family.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

CHARLIE

My guess is that it's some sort of Hickory. I'll guess that it is a Shagbark Hickory. :P
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bro. Noble

I think both of you guys are wrong-------it's some kinda plum.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Mesquite Man

The answers are more varied than I thought!  This particular tree is located in the Edwards Plateau area of Texas at my deer lease near Kerrville, TX.  It is located on 1,000 acres and is not near any old homesteads or anything.

I was wondering if it could be Escarpment Black Cherry (Prunus serotina var. eximia )?  I can not find any place on the net that has a close up picture of this tree.  They are fairly uncommon and no one that I know can identify it.

I was out there today and was planning to take better pictures of the leaves and the bark but when I went to take the pictures I realized I didn't have a darn memory card in the camera!

Curtis
"Mesquite Man"
Curtis O. Seebeck
TimberKing 1220

Mesquite Man

What is the best way to positively identify this tree?  I guess I could cut it down and see what the wood looks like!  I would get in all kinds of crud from the property owner so that is out.

What are some other characteristics of Black Cherry?

Curtis
"Mesquite Man"
Curtis O. Seebeck
TimberKing 1220

Texas Ranger

Give a picture of the bark and leaves.  You may want to try and find a book called "Trees, Shrubs, and woody Vines of the Southwest" by Robert A. Vines, at the library.

CHARLIE

Well, it doesn't matter what book you look at, unless it tells you it's a hickory, it's wrong. Those are hickory leaves if I ever saw one ::)   Maybe it's a hybrid Cherry Hickory tree called a Hickerry or a Chickory. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Texas Ranger

Ah, senior momemt, Charlie?  Obviously not a hickberry, alcoholic beverage producers have eliminated them from the US.  Competititve to their product. :P

Noble_Ma

I looked in my National Audubon North American Trees field guide.  It does resemble a plum from what I can see.  A picture of the bark would tell all.  This is one of the best books I've seen to identify trees.  It has the bark, leaves ( green and after they turn), fruit and flowers.  I think I paid $15 for it.

LeeB

How big is it? Looks like a Mexican PLum. I have this kind of tree on my place. If I were home I could probably help out a little more. Go to the A&M web site and do a search on trees. They have a listing of all the native trees of Texas. MAy take a little while to go through all of them, but it is a good place to learn about what is in your area. Can't remember the web adress right now. Will be home in a week if you still don't have an answer. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I keep them handy. Ya never now when your goona need a field guide or a deleware prison hat. ;D

LeeB

The web adress for Texas A&M is tamu.org. Don't remeber what the actual site name is. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Noble_Ma

Jeff, I had to stop lending mine out.  I never get them back and I even have my name in the dam thing.  I think I've bought 3 so far.  They are great books.

Jeff

Good for you. I would not think of lending mine out any more then I would my underwear. ;D

Mine are right above me withing easy reach, and if I am going to the cabin or a different part of the state I always grab my eastern field guide to go with me. I hope to travel sometime west of the Mississippi then I'll throw in the western too.

Noble_Ma

Mine is the North American Trees one.  I never saw the East or West one??  Sounds like I need to take a ride to the book store.   I guess I learned the hard way with lending stuff.

smwwoody

If it was in Pennsylvania with flaky bark on it i would call it cherry but being in texas it might be some kind of mexican jumpen bean tree ;)
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Mesquite Man

OK guys,

I just got back from my hunting camp and I have more pictures of the tree in question.

one of the trunks

More leaves

closer picture of bark

Complete tree

The bark has a lot of moss on it and is a dark grey.  It is a 3 trunked tree that is about 25' tall total.  What do you think now?

"Mesquite Man"
Curtis O. Seebeck
TimberKing 1220

Mesquite Man

LeeB,

I have that site bookmarked and look at is quite often.  Unfortunately, they do not have all the trees in this area listed.  For example, they do not have the Escarpment Cherry that I originally thought this tree was.  They also do not have very good pictures of bark and such.  It is a good place to start, however.

Sitruc
"Mesquite Man"
Curtis O. Seebeck
TimberKing 1220

LeeB

Glad you had it bookmarked. The address I gave you was wrong anyway. Try the library. There are some pretty good books on Texas native trees. LeeB

Texas Ranger

Thank You Sponsors!