iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alaskan sawmill question

Started by 9shooter, February 07, 2006, 11:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9shooter

I have an alaskan mill clone a friend built. It measures 36" or so. I just picked up a 385xp (yahoooo!!) so I can get 'rid' of my log pile. My question is; Should I get a 42" bar so I can max out the 36" mill or is that 6" too long? I'm grinding my teeth and whailing 'cause I won't be able to get a peterson until next year. :(
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

TinMan

I would use the smallest bar you can get away with on your size logs. Less chain more power. Unless you will be doin some big logs. Occasional use with a 42 should work fine though. ;D

Tracy

Raphael

I suppose that really depends on how big the logs in your pile are, I use 3 different lengths of bar.  Ideally you want to use the shortest chain that will make the cut, you'll mill faster and with less wear on the saw.  Also with the 42" bar you should have an auxiliary oiler (at the tip) if you aren't already equipped with one.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

9shooter

Thank's for the input, Naturaly the logs run all sizes. I'll have to rotate some of them to whittle them down. I got the saw with a 24" bar so I guess I'll get ripping chain for both bar lengths. It will be nice to clean up the yard. The place is starting to look like a hillbilly logging dump. I got  1 pile of cedar utility poles that measure 24" on the butt end. These were 80' untill a tornado shortened them up. I think they are going to provide me with the poles for the firewood lean-to. I'm getting tired of knocking the snow off the firewood.
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

Shawn

I bought the 385XP and alaskan like you back in Dec. I have the 36" blade and loving it. No problems except finding time and better weather here in Michigan. WOW, balmy 28 degrees tonight!
Shawn...
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

Snag

I have used my alaskan a ton, and when I started out I had the same thoughts going through my head.  I dind't have a bar that would max out my mill and thought I would be missing out on something.  When all was said and done, I use my 28" bar more than anything else.  I have the "big" bars, but they dont get much action.  Like mentioned above, use the smallest bar you can for the log you are sawing or you are just wasting hp.  Also, I always use an auxilary oiler.  It makes a HUGE difference.  It is a must for anything around 28" or bigger.   Just my 2c...  Hope it helps....

Thank You Sponsors!