iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crooked Cuts

Started by Qweaver, February 06, 2006, 09:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

Hi All,
I'm obviously doing something wrong when I sharpen.  My saws are leading off to the right after I sharpen.  I'm trying to be very aware of keeping the angle the same on both sides but I'm still getting a curved cut and always to the right.  Is this a common problem?
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

dutchman

If you have a worn bar (inside rail to much clearance)the chain can make an curved cut.
Need a bar tool to close to proper size.
Also if you have a small burr on the outside  of your bar it can cause
a curved cut. The bar should be deburred and ground square.

woodbeard

Also pay attention to how high the file is in regard to the top of the tooth. If you are filing too deep on one side, that side will cut more aggressively.

leweee

Make sure your chain gauge matches the bar ::)( Don't ask me how I know this) ;)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Kevin

The bar groove might be spread, the bottom of the chain worn and the bar rail is also likely worn.
Dressing a bar and putting the old chain back on will quickly wear the bar again.
The cutting teeth should also be the same length.
There is substantial care and maintenance to the bar and chain but most people neglect it .

Woodhog

Maybe you are filing one set of cutters shorter than the other???

I  to file the cutters that are easy to file with my right hand shorter than the other set that are facing the other way....the cutters should be the same length or it will cut in a circle...

Hope this makes sense...

thecfarm

To expend on what Woodhog said,if I take 3 strokes on one side I take 5 on the other side.This will keep it from "running" with me.I know what others will say,but I've been doing this for more than 20 years and the saw will go through the trees almost as good as a new chain. Now if I could get it back this way after hitting a rock.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!