iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Laser Levels

Started by fstedy, February 06, 2006, 07:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fstedy

Anyone tried to mount a laser level on their mill to help in lining up the first cuts on a log. I don't think it would be to hard to line it up with the blade but are they bright enough in daylight without some kind of beam detector.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

sprucebunny

This thread mentions laser levels and Toxedo_2000 says he got the idea on the FF so a search might net some more info.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=3553.msg223639#msg223639
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

TexasTimbers

The junk they sell at Home Scrapo and Lowest is junk in my book. The German-engineered (and made) Stabila line excels.
To answer your question, unless the laser is rated for outside use, you can't see the line. Even if it IS rated "exterior" on some of the junk they sell at the home fixer stores, you can barely see them.
I'm sure there are other suitable brands. I bought a Stabila cause I knew I could buy and count on it right out of the box. Every time.
A laser level is especially one of those You get what you pay for tools. Just my nickel.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

isassi

I don't know the specific site, but a company builds the laser devices used on saws and they have high power ones that would probably work on a bandmill in daylight. Kevjay is correct on the cheap lasers will not give you a clear line or point when the sun is out. For that matter, without a detector, our grade laser can't be seen unless it is dusk...

sawmill_john

The main problem with lasers is that in the sun light they wash out and so unless its dark they can be hard to see.  I have a cheapo one that works ok but if my sight starts going I won't be able to see it at all.  It's helpful on the first cut of the pass and to line up odd cuts.

9shooter

I guess them lasers would work real well in Michigan hey? :D :D (what sun)
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

BBTom

Woodmizer uses the lasers from http://www.cemarelectro.com They use a 15mw unit. 

I have a 30mw unit and it is quite a bit brighter, but still will wash out in sunlight.  I would be afraid to go much higher output due to safety concerns.  Don't want to blind any bystanders.. :-[
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

SPIKER

I Stopped by BBToms place tuesday and his laser is pretty nice even in daylight under the roof it is easy to see.  (I had my shades on so I couldn't get an eye full ;) ) lol

OH I'm BLIND  lol   anyhow had a good time at toms place & helped him for a bit on some of his cherry (too bad that BIG ole cherry log was nearly shot. :( 

Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

fstedy

8) 8) 8) Thanks for the advise  8) 8) 8)
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

TexasTimbers

BBTom I wasn't familiar with Cimarligne, thanks for posting the website it is impressive. But then I am a sucker for German engineering ::)
You think anything over 30mw is too dangerous? I haven't done much research into that area.
I have been thinking of setting up a rotary laser inside my shop to transpose a line over beams for square rule joinery, and making marks at the appropriate places for joints and housings so I don't have to snap chalk lines. The lasers I have for my construction needs would not fit the bill and I want 2 or more dedicated lasers up on the cieling for ths purpose anyway.
Any thoughts on this?
Thajks. Kevin.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Dan_Shade

it's really not "safe" to look at any power level laser, the power is concentrated, which is where the danger comes from.  It's best to set up where the laser beam will hit something at the end of your track.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

JP

I have used the $19.00 laser from Home depot for the last year. except for about 2 hrs in the morning with bright sunshine on the log it works fine/ see pic a

my laser

JP
Norwood lm2000,Newholland 30 hp tractor, log carrier/winch, log arch  JP

Thank You Sponsors!