iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OK- here it Tiz... Before

Started by jpgreen, February 06, 2006, 12:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logwalker

JP, Highpockets makes a good point about leakage. With the tank above th blade there is nothing to stop the flow. Most pumps do not have a shut off. I did use the same windshield washer pump for two years with good resulte. I think it was a NAPA universal. But you would need a solenoid valve in conjunction. When are we going to hear that Kawi purr? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

jpgreen

Yeah Joe.  I need to find a seloniod valve.  I found a pump in Graingers for $25.

I should have that Kawa meowing by mid week if I've got everthing I need here.

Going to Redding for more parts tomorrow..  8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

highpockets

Jp this solenoid valve I am using is a fuel switching valve.  It is about $35.00 It of course has three openings. One inlet and two outlets.  If you have the tank above the blade then that is all you need.  What I did was use the second outlet as a level gauge and system drain.  If there is no power on the solenoid, one outlet is common with the inlet.  I attached a piece of clear hose to this one.  I tied this hose above and along side the tank.  With no power I can see the fluid level in the tank.  When I  put the power on, the other outlet is common and lets water run to the blade.  Another good thing is that the level monitoring tube can be lowered to drain the system.  It's simple but I'm simple.   

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

jpgreen

THing is Dick I'm setting this up like the Woodmizer lube-mizer and I beleve these jets require pressure, cause they are real fine, small holes.

The gravity drip would not be enough, so I need to control a pump, with an on-off-monmentary on switch so I could choose to just give her a squirt when I needed, or full on.

highpockets

Well a mans got to do what a mans got to do.  Go for it big boy.   
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

tcsmpsi

So, tell me, jp...how's the saki two-banger running??

I'm here looking out at the loading dock now, and there still hasn't been any delivery.  I can only surmise that you must have gotten the little darlin' ginnin'.

Hmmmm??
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

jpgreen

Had things get in the way like gripperdog orders, and RAIN, and on and on. I've got to turn a reducer bushing for the rear of the old Woodmizer/Onan sheave to fit the Kawa.

Probaly start back up tomorrow, if it doesn't thunder and rain like it has been.  Nice and cool though..  :)

When it's all done, I'll have the exact parts numbers and info for anyone who wants to do this swap. It's going to be the cats meow..  8)  Kawa-Mizer!!!!!!

joelmar10

KAWA-BUNGA!!!!! smiley_clapping
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

Tom

I thought that was just part of the word, kowabungabuffalobob.   ??? :D

tcsmpsi

Oh yah, sure, jp....keep 'em coming.  It'll be alright.  When you figure there's just no other way around it, and you need that two-banger (my only extended experience with a kawasaki, was a few tens of thousands of miles on a 3-banger two stroke) broken in, we'll be right here.

I already got it figured out.  I figure it'll run a large tub real good, so I do all the laundry for a week in one load. 
8)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

highpockets

JP how long do you think it will be until sawing time?  It looks like an interesting project.  We got home so I may have to cut a few boards myself.  Did put on 3 gallons of Mahaw wine yesterday. 
Louisiana Country boy

jpgreen

Glad to hear you're back.  Sounds like you had fun.  Zeus missed you..  ;D

jpgreen

Weel I have a whole wack of KawaMizer pics to put up on the latest progress,
but I guess Jeff's refurbing the photo gallery.

What a great engine for a swap.  It fits great.  Plenty of room all around. Even the belt guard
bolts right inplace perfectly.

I've got the engine mounted, alternator, new control box mount fabricated and mounted,
debarker control mounted, new lift chain, new lift sprocket bearings, and jp clutch installed.

Changed oils in the gear box, and drive housing.

Now I pretty much have the switches and wiring, fuel, and change hydraulic oil/filter.

Then we'll see what happens when I fire her up, cut into a log and see what else could be wrong..  ;D ::)

tcsmpsi

Well, I am certainly glad to hear that you have the Kaw mounted.  As much as I was looking forward to it showing up on the dock, I really don't need another gas mouth to feed and maintain.   :D

As much as I might have lusted for the little Kaw, I've married myself up to this one lunger Kohler.  Thusfar, it has been quite disciplined and loyal.   ;D

And so, jp, is the new litter going to be adaptable? 

jpgreen

Adaptable?

You mean to a band saw?  Isn't that kinda like an interracial thing?..  :D

tcsmpsi

Don't be playing silly buggers with me.  You know very well that's what I mean.  ;D

Though, to do so may be interracial, to not do so would be discriminatory.

I am looking forward to seeing what you have come up with.

I'm looking for an 'easier' way for my wife to cinch up logs.  She does pretty well with cants, if there's not too much stress in them making them want to  twist a bit.   ;)

beenthere

QuoteAnd so, jp, is the new litter going to be adaptable? 

What ??   ???

Are they cute?  :)

Or is the question that the new litter is 'adoptable'?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jpgreen

Their adorable.

I mean how could they not be?... when you consider who's their daddy..  :D ;D

jpgreen

Quote from: tcsmpsi on August 15, 2006, 09:57:53 AM
Don't be playing silly buggers with me.  You know very well that's what I mean.  ;D

Though, to do so may be interracial, to not do so would be discriminatory.

I am looking forward to seeing what you have come up with.

I'm looking for an 'easier' way for my wife to cinch up logs.  She does pretty well with cants, if there's not too much stress in them making them want to  twist a bit.   ;)

Michael,

You know- I've got some sets of steel dogs that may work well for your mill. We should look into that.

On another note...

-edit- **I'm just kiddin'** someone may take this the wrong way..  :)

logwalker

Looking forward to those pictures JP, and the first cut.   8)  LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

tcsmpsi

I don't know what I'm going to do.  She's wanting to actually saw instead of just running dogs and handling wood.  Go figure.   ;D

But sure, let's take a look at what you have.

And, on the "tcsmpsi" thing, well...the FBI likes to be able to keep up with me easily and that's what they've always known me as on the internet.   :D  

michael

**it wouldn't have been this someone, jp**   ;)

tcsmpsi

jp,

The bunks on the mill would be pretty easy to adapt to.  They are simply 1/2" steel on edge.

jpgreen

More progress on my Kawa-Mizer swap..  8)   8)   8)

Actually, the engine swap is now done cept for the throttle cable, and being I'm a remote hillbilly I've got to make one.  Here are some pics so far on some of the steps to give an idea of what's involved.

First off- the Onan engine shaft had stepped down as it came out of the case, so I needed to make a spacer bushing to fill the gap in the rear of the pulley sheave for the Kawa shaft.  The Kawa main drive shaft is actually bigger in diameter than the Onan or Kohler for that matter, but it's milled down right as it comes out of the case. 

This bushing is a perfect press fit into the back of the sheave, then a snug "slide-on" to the Kawa shaft.

Pic above shows how I got my basic bolt pattern to drill for the Kawa base.

I scribed the engine base outline, then placed some manila file folder paper under the engine to get my hole pattern.  Placed the pattern on the Mizer, and re-measured, then drilled.  Then I took a cutting torch, and cut some slots so the engine could slide into the bracket.

First I set the engine on the Mizer with sheave installed.  Lined up the pulleys of the Mizer with the Kawa by clamping a straight edge to the Mizer drive pulleys and scribed the outline of the engine on the Mizer base.

I took advantage of some threaded holes on the side of the engine block and fabricated an angle bracket to help align the engine. The bracket also puts tension on the drive belt.  The side bolts pull the engine exactly where I want it, then locks it in place.  It's extra work, but I think it's well worth it.

Then I made the pattern as above, set it back on the base lined up with the scribed outlines and marked the holes to drill.  After I had the holes drilled I slotted them with a torch.

Fabricated this alternator bracket above.  Works great and is rock solid.  It's not going to stress crack and break like the 95 year Mizer design.. ::)

The belt guard fits, and I thought I was home free with that, till I found it hit the muffler when you disengaged the engine, so I have to cut bout an 1" off the bottom of the guard and re-weld it.. ;D

Here's a pic of the control for the debarker.  Didn't know where else to put it.

Don't have current pics but...

Now it's all rewired, plumbed for fuel, and runs great.  The Kawa is pretty darn quiet with a low throaty motorcycle engine sound.  I like that! ..;D

Delco Alt is charging nicely.  The debarked and hydraulics are working well. Same with the feed/lift systems far as I can tell at this point.

I rigged up a lube system that should work, but may need more fine tuning. redid the scales, and the mount for those. Found my drive housing is shot, so I need to order a new one from Woodmizer.  This one leaks, bearings are noisy, so I'm gonna try to run some STP in it for now.

I've got to lower the belt guard, make up a throttle cable, align the blade guides, and should be ready to throw a log up on her tomorrow.

More pics to come...  8)

jpgreen

Now where does that wire go?... ;D

Replaced drum, ignition, blade guide, with all new switches.  All connections soldered and sealed. 8)

Frank_Pender

Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!