iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just a snapshot of my book layout in InDesign CS

Started by SwampDonkey, February 06, 2006, 12:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I used a screen capture because a couple pages in PDF format is almost 500 kb.   ::) Using InDesign CS for the layout work, it's an enhanced PageMaker.  ;)

This is the format I'm using (for now) for the 'Trees' section of my forestry handbook. The page size is approx 5.5 x 8.5, hopefully 250 pages or less. All the drawings and photos are my own. I have along way to go and I have been working at it in 'fits and starts'. ;D

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

That's great you are writing a book 8)

I was just thinking this morning that many identification books have short comings. One won't have a bark picture and the other lacks a flower picture , etc. .

Also it is enjoyable to know the uses of a species of wood. I like Peattie's "Natural History of trees" for the pleasant discriptions of habitat.

I can't wait to read it ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Up on the header of each 'Tree' page there is a depiction for modes of reproduction, fruit/seed shape and ripening time of year, as well as general leaf shape and autumn color. I will be trying to fit in flowers/fruit of each tree, but may need to do it in tabular form. Or in may be placed along the left/right margins. Not enough room on a page for everything. :D :D

My layout is continually evolving and may metamorph several times before I'm done. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mr Mom

When do you think you will be done??
     I like what you have so far.

Thanks Mr Mom

SwampDonkey

Stephen_Wiley

:) Can I have an autographed 1st copy?

I CAN, THANK YOU  8)  8)  8)
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

SPIKER

Hey swampdonkey:

looks great so far.  keep up the good work & let meknow if ya need a few ohotos of somethign inohio?   just attempting to get a NEW comnputer going today and already have a 5 meg digital photo collection but the dang thing was on the one that crashed & it won't boot but taking more shouldn't be a big problem.

SPIKER \
aka Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

SwampDonkey

Spiker, maybe you can contribute some hickory, oak and elm species for the Over wintering twig and tree ID thread. IM me and I can send you an email address to send them at. We need bark, twigs, buds.  The thread is locked and sicky posted near the top of the Tree ID board. ;)

My book/guide is about New Brunswick Forestry, something I am most familiar with. There is a tree section, but there are other forestry related topics to be included such as some of the not so common woodland flowers and some very popular ones. There will be sections on working near water, provincial log rules, silviculture, wildlife, recreation, economics, timber appraissal, some examples of best management practices, information on marketing boards...etc etc. My list grows as I brain storm. ;D :)

SwampDonkey

As most of you regulars know, I was busy with my thinning crew this season and no time to spend on the guide book, but things will soon resume when it gets too difficult to cruise the woods for more thinning for this coming summer. As I said earlier the format of my book is continuously evolving. There is a lot of forestry information scattered all over the place and there is some information that is 'obscured from view' from the public. It would be nice to pick up a guide book and have as much information as possible in a more concise form.

SPIKER

Hey Swampdonkey:

I got a NEW computer HP which has not been all that great and the HP camera I used back last fall was good then.   how ever the photo taker wasn't that great.
I have those digital photos, showing twigs ect. BUT now the dang camera has gone ka-bluie! ::) ?!?   I can send them for review but unfortuneatly the ones I took last fall didn't work out very well and were not all that great.   I may end up having to find and clean out my good ole 35 mm camera...   then scan high res film into system ..
   PM me if you want to see them in full 5 meg res.  I have dsl here so sending those files won't be so bad.

like I said before lots of oak, elm, hickory as well as scotch pine, maples (sugar silver red ect.)

Mark M

SwampDonkey

5 meg is toooo big on my little dial-up connection.  :D ;) And they won't be displayable on the forum. I did link some of your gallery images in the 'Overwintering Tree ID' thread. I could handle 200 kb photos, but it's just as easy for you to scale them and compress them for the forum as me. Give you some practice. ;)  Really all 5 meg gives you is a great big photo (pixel dimensions). You can take a 5 meg photo and scale it down without much quality loss, but to expand a 200 kb to a 5 meg photo causes it to go grainy. You knew that anyway.

PS: Did you know that there is a closeup function on your HP camera? On the digital display it shows an icon of a tulip for closeups. You can use the LCD display to get the proper distance for focus. Sometimes it takes several shots to get the right one.  ;D I have an older camera , the 618 and it's only 2.1 mega pixels I believe. Those cameras sure eat a lot of battery juice.  :o

SPIKER

Swampdpnkey:

Yep those suckers sure eat the batteries FAST.  I use the macro a LOT taking photos of stuff upclose, some reason this camera always says can't focus when you are trying to take macro pics... :( >:(   I have a bunch of pictures posted now on this free photo posting site.

We don't allow linking to off-site storage of pictures.
Please use the Forestry Forum Gallery.
admin

I have some photos posted there of trees & farm property, as well as other stuff.   I LIKE the way that thing works I been posting pics into there for a while it's free lots of storage and has tools that makes LINKS for you so all you have to do is copy and paste the info once created into there so the post on BBs has a thumbnail photo in there that will open in full scale .  so you get a preview of photos for say project work ect.

like these imigaes from there, (yes just an assortment.)  ALSO the site has a great free picture re-sizer that I totally forgot about, so I can make them any size & resolution...

X
X
X

ANYHOW those photos are just some misc pics, I planted 4 acres of sugar maples (2000 trees) and 2000 white pines as well as a ton others back 3 seasons now...  starting to grow nicely this year...

I'll try and put in some of the old shots that I have on there in lower res.   that way you can take a look see.

mark M

Thank You Sponsors!