iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mobile Dimension

Started by Paul_H, October 24, 2002, 11:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_Pender

I just spoke with a friend about the siding idea with the Mobile Dimension Mill.  He has it figured out with some of my imput as well.  I will be meeting with him next week some time and discuss more of the details.   It will take some time to build what we need but it will work.  I already have all of the hydraulics that we discussed a few minutes ago on the land line. 8) 8) 8)

He also just installed a vertical digital readout dial indicator on his new MD model 128  and has cut down a great deal of time in dial setting by hand.  I will be viewing that as well next week. 8) 8) 8)

Paul I sent your drawing on to him as well for us to discuss next week.  We will put you high on the royalities list, probably a full partner.
Frank Pender

DanG

Paul, I don't remember the specifics off the top of my head, but there's a procedure in the manual.  First time I started mine after the rebuild, it ran wild.  Musta topped 10,000rpm in the first second!  I sez, HOLY POOP, sez I, or something to that effect! :o :o  Sez, "Maybe I better think about shuttin' this thing off!"  Well, I did shut it off, after cogitatin' about it for a nanosecond or so, and it's a good thing I did! That thing woulda probbly blowed up at 13 or 14k!  Right quick-like, I figgered out that you oughta disconnect the governor from the carburatin' device before you start up a fresh engine.

If ya don't have the manual, I'd be glad to get that little bit of it to ya in the mornin'.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Paul_H

DanG,
I'll check the papers that they sent me with the kit.My problem with the throttle was the opposite of yours.When I moved the lever to the full throttle position,it would only open the carb a little past an idle.

I'm going to do a little cogitatin' too  ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Frank_Pender

Listen, Paul, do not mix your verbs and adverbs. 8)

It is past my bedtime, Night. ;D
Frank Pender

DanG

Why would ya need to add verbs when you already got verbs? ???  Boy!  These English teacher types never cease to mysticate me! :o ::)

Paul, I'm thinkin' that you disconnect the rod from the governor to the carb, then start the engine.  Make sure the throttle is all the way down, and reconnect the rod with the engine idling.  I'll look it up in the morning to make sure.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

oakiemac

Thanks Paul, I see that you start with a squared cant. I was thinking round log. Looks like it would work out good. I think a similar device could be built then "tipped" at a given angle so that you could cut beveled sideing.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

sawmill_john

Paul, you will have to re-adjust the governor, there should have been a different linkage rod included with your kit, follow the instructions excatly and you won't have any trouoble.  Also I would drain and replace the oil in the governor, it's well worth the time and what little cost the small amount of oil is to extend the life of the governor, they aren't cheap!

john

Paul_H

oakie,
I'm never very high tech but the trough works well.We ran a bunch of 6x6's through and kept track of the average time it took to turn a 6x6 into a Octo.It was 45-50 seconds with a helper to place in the trough and stack afterwards.

Sawmilljohn,
I got her purring like a kitten now  8) It fires up right away and I borrowed a tachometer yesterday and double checked the max rpm (2400)
I advanced the timing by ear but will probably,maybe get a timing light one day soon.

I will take your advice on the oil change in the governor.

Thanks!
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

sawmill_john

Good deal Paul, use the same weight oil that you use in the engine. and every oil change check the oil level in the governor, it only takes the time to remove the plug. 

good sawing guys! :)

john

sawmill_john

Hey oakiemac! OK here is the run down on cutting corner boards.  There are some givens like sharp teeth, proper lead, proper step adjustment,  not to mention correct crossfeed calibration, and height adjustment.  But I'm going with the idea the mill is set up and working properly.

The goal is to make a corner board.  This is the size I've made before 1" thick x 3-3/4" x 3-3/4"

1. Drop 4" in total, including bottom edger kerf.
2. Advance mill to the right, untill a clear cut for the entire length of log can be achieved.
3. Make pass squaring off board.

4. Raise mill 1 1/4".
5. Advance mill to the right to cut a 2 7/16" thick board.
6. Make pass cutting out board.

7. Drop mill back down 1 1/4".
8. Advance mill to the right to cut 1" board.
9. Make pass to cut out corner board.

This is a little time consuming but they sure look good.  It sounds hard but after you make a few I think you'll be able to figure it out and you can make larger sizes if you use the large edger.  I've only made the 4" ones.

Later
John

oakiemac

Thanks John, looks like there are a lot of possibilities. I need to play around with some of this stuff when I get some time.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Frank_Pender

Paul, you have her purrrrring, how about some sawdust being made?
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!