iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mobile Dimension

Started by Paul_H, October 24, 2002, 11:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

I've read on other forums,that MD's are pretty well good only for cutting 2x4,2x6 lumber.And while they are excellent for doing so,they can efficiently do much more.

12x12 posts supporting a 12x16 beam

6x6 supporting 6x12 beams

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Paul_H

These octaposts were cut on the MD using a simple jig.They are 6x6,but bigger is fine.We ran a pile of them through,and averaged under 4 minutes per post.

The tapered post is one of three we cut for a customer,using a jig that we made for angled cuts.The post is a 10x10 x 52" tapered in 2 1/2" each side

Frank_Pender

When you get here in November, I want you to show me how to do that.  Please?  Nice looking job, Paul.  We are only limited by our imaginations.   Some saws cut with circles and some with bands.   It all depends on the tune we want or need to hear or see. 8)
Frank Pender

Noble_Ma

About 15 years ago, I had a local guy come out to my place and mill up some Eastern white pine I had cut off my land.  He had a MD mill.  There must have been fifteen or more of my neighbors that watched and just about fell over each other to help.  That's when I got the "bug" to own my own mill.  He was able to cut whatever I wanted from 8X8 posts to 1" boards.  I'm not sure what model he had?  The lumber was cut very accurate and dryed nice and straight.  I would have bought one if they weren't so expensive.  I'd still like to pick up a used one some day.  I think a MD would be my choice over a swing mill if I had the extra money to buy another mill.  

Paul_H

Frank,
Amen to that.I'll dig out the jigs and take a picture.Octapost jig is just a V trough that clamps in the dogs parallel to the edger.It takes a good five minutes to set up,then it's quick.

Noble_Ma,
Our MD is a 1979, model 127.  We paid around $9000 US for it in mid May,and have cut about 100 Mbf so far.

As far as service,Mobile would be right up there with Woodmizer.If I have any questions,or problems they will help sort it out.If we need a part right now,they will help cross reference to a local parts store.(Mobile's parts are less expensive)I was ordering new teeth and shanks a few weeks ago,and was talking to a guy named Ron.He didn't have the better shanks in stock that I wanted,so he shipped the teeth right away,and then shipped the shanks free of charge when they came in.He made a couple of follow up calls to let me know they were on the way and wanting to make sure everything was fine.

I found out from Sawmill John later,that Ron is the owner.

Paul_H

Paul_H

This Douglas fir beam is 16' across,13" thick and 24" on the wide end.  The inside curve was cut with our Alaskan mill,then we leveled the log on the MD,squared it up and made the second face(top).Then we finished it up with the Alaskan mill while still dogged on the mill.
It could have been finished by the MD,but I really didn't feel like flipping it over.

Jeff

Paul what was that beam used for? do we get to see a picture of it in place?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paul_H

Jeff,
I just took that picture today.The beam was cut a few weeks ago,and I moved it closer to town so it's easier to show.There is a lot of high end housing construction in the Whistler ski resort 25 min South of here and they like the funky stuff.

A guy I know,who works construction in Whistler came and had a look today,and took a bunch of business cards.He liked what he saw,and is going to pass them on.He told me not to be in a big hurry to sell it cheap.

When it sells,I'll follow it's progress and post pictures 8)

This log was in our firewood stack because of crook,now we're looking for them in the bush

Noble_Ma

Paul_H,

You should send that picture to the folks at Fine Home Building.  I'm sure they could find a builder who would find a home for that beauty.  

Paul_H

Noble_Ma,
I want to advertise it on the web,but I don't know how much to ask,or where to post.Does Fine Home Building have a website?

Noble_Ma

Paul_H,

Try this one, http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/index.asp  I used to subscribe to this magizine when I was in the building business.  They feature all types of houses from around the country.  You might try writing to them and see what that gets you.

Paul_H

Noble_Ma,
Thank you very much.

I read a while back where Ron Wenrich talked about how loggers thought that mills could magically straighten out the lumber in crooked logs.When I read that I had to laugh because that's exactly what I thought, till we got the mill :-[

It was an article in the June/July Sawmill&Woodlot magazine that made me look at the crooked logs differently.

Noble_Ma

You got me thinking too.  I've been trying to get my brother-in-law to buy an Alaskan mill but now I'll have to think of buying one myself.  Now when is father's day ;D

Don P

I did some work for an old timer at home  (40 year shingles on the house of a 78 year old...they have good genes) He built a few moon bridges out of stuff like that over small branches on their place.
I saw some gable fascias on a cabin one time that I really liked, they were straight on the roof edge and natural edged and quite curved on the lower edge.
Research cruck framed timber framing, the earliest style. That is the type timber they sought out.

Frank_Pender

Paul, when you come down next month, bring a truck and trailer.  I will load you up with table slabs, etc. I will load up too and head back for the ski resort.  I'll bet that we could really make the trip pay, with interest. 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Paul_H

DonP,
Now,how are we going to get it through the planer :D

Hey Frank,I'll take a bunch of pictures of your slabs and show them around,anybody with a mill round here is pretty closed mouth about what they do and who are their customers.That's why I like this forum,nobody minds helping out each other.

Your slabber would really shine for this kind of thing.

Noble Ma,
The Alaska mills are fairly inexpensive,mine was given to me.They leave a smooth finish,I was suprised.

Paul_H

I went by the customers place,that bought the tapered posts.The house is still unfinished,but looking good.The pillar below the post will be finished in stone.

A view of the main saw & edger.Oversized beams are mainly sawn with the edger,then turned.

sawmill_john

8)
Looking Good Paul, keep up the good work.  There's nothing like a good reputation to snow ball business.  Let us know if we can help.   When you come down to see Frank stop by and say Hi!  We've got some new hats.

Another thing the MDS is great for are corner boards, it takes a little figuring the first couple times but after you make a few, its easy, I've replaced about half of the ones on my house, before I painted.

john :)

Fla._Deadheader

Hi guys. Question for you MD owners. If you have the VW engine, is the standard air shroud still on the engine or is it not covered with an air shroud at all? Need some info so I can mount my engine. Thanks, Harold
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Paul_H

Harold,
Mine has the shroud over the flywheel,and tin shrouds halfway around the heads.I can't say if that's stock VW or if they had more to them originally.I looked for any pictures of the engine,but didn't have any good shots.

How is the mill coming along?

Fla._Deadheader

Hi Paul. The engine I have has a fan mounted on the back of the Generator and to remove the generator, I will have to do away with the fan or mount a squirrel cage fan above each set of cylinders. Don't think I can do away with the fan no matter what ???

My mill is nearly finished. I tried to use several ideas from each of Woodmizers models on mine. I am waiting for the loader cylinders and should start laying out the mounting plates for the engine tomorrow. The technical stuff really takes time to get it right. I never went to engineering school ::).
All the wiring and hydraulics need to be installed, but, the cylinders and electric motors are all mounted except for the loader and log turner.

Running short of cash and have to get back to the river, REAL SOON :o. Thanks for the info, Harold
   First, it is ridiculed;

Paul_H

Harold,
hope to see the finished product soon.

This should be the last picture for awhile.It's a Red Cedar slab I gave to a woodworking friend of mine.He saves every scrap he can find.
I went there tonight and he showed me what he was making with it.A shelf for my house,supported by Birch limbs.I didn't expect it,but sure am pleased.

sawmill_john

Nice piece of cedar!  But you know I don't think I've seen a piece of wood I didn't like!  The different grains and colors just mezmerize me.  :o

Harold, MDS uses its own blower, I wasn't around when it was designed but we've been redesigning, and tring a few things to increase air flow.  The original VW shroud was designed very well, with the exception of the oil cooler which restricted the air on one side creating a heating problem on that side of the engine.  MDS blows air from the lower end of the engine UP around the cylinders and heads, this also blows hot air past the oil cooler kind of a "catch 22".  We later diverted air from the blower and blow it through the stock oil cooler, which works well.  Sawdust is a big problem for cooling, it plugs the cooling fins and can toast an engine in a short time.  Weekly attention is advised in all situations or early engine over haul is required.  The stock system should be sufficant it the intake doesn't suck in sawdust.  

john

Fla._Deadheader

That's a mighty fine hunk of cedar, Paul. Nice to have friends that appreciate you. Pics will be a while. We have to go swimmin with the Gators for a spell.

John, thanks for the info. If I could re-design the housing, I could reduce the height of the engine by 8 inches. I plan on replacing the air cleaner with a pancake dry filter type. The original is 4 inches above the air shroud.

I may mount the fan on the end of one bank of cylinders and use a dual chamber for directing it to each bank. I could run it with the belt that will run the 24 volt alternator.

We will have dive tanks on site and we have an attachment for a blowgun, that we use for inflating air-lift bouys. We WILL blow out the sawdust on a regular basis. Shouldn't be a lot of dust, as I plan on blowing it into a box trailer along with the slab mulch, NOT from the sinkers, but, from fresh logs that the owner wants milled for a new dock and new house for his wife.  Harold
   First, it is ridiculed;

sawmill_john

Hey Dan G, It was good talking the other day. I included an accessories list with your parts, if you have any questions let me know, they should arrive by the early part of next week.  The mill that you have is an early hydrostatic drive model, that might have some items that could be updated or may need to be looked at.  The nuetral ramp on those mills tended to bend making the final drive belt slip and wear at the operators end of the track, all so the sliding fork on the speed control angle develops wear that should be tightened up from time to time, both items can be replace with "new" items.  

john

DanG

Thanks, John. I enjoyed our little chat, as well. It was informative, as well as entertaining. I'll check the two points you mentioned, to see how they're holding up.

Hey, I was just thinking....whenever you go down to Frank's place, how about standing over him with a stick, and see if you can get him to post some pics of the slabber. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frank_Pender

I have shown two pictures earlier.   You want more.  I have taken them yet need to practice on sending.  I will work at getting a round 2 it.  I knwo what you want. You are after the detailed specs on building one. ;D
Frank Pender

Fla._Deadheader

Course he is, Frank. Anybody can BUY one. :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

Yeah! How about some close-ups of the attachment to the edger shaft?   ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frank_Pender

DanG, the best way to do that is cme and visit.  Paul is to be here some time this month.  I can fit you in some time in early December. 8)
Frank Pender

Frank_Pender

By oh boy, I sure killed the thread  3 years ago. :D
Frank Pender

Fla._Deadheader

But ya still don't post photos, Frank  ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

sawmill_john

You know what they say bought ol' dawgs!!!!!!!! :D

Frank_Pender

Let them sleep.? 8) 8) 8) 
Frank Pender

sawmill_john

I think it's more like " they're not dead, they just smell that way"

your pretty "trick"y aren't you Frank?

mometal77

Beautiful pictures it reminds me of another thread a few months ago a gentleman had pics of the japanese cutting un straight trees and making straight timberframe. 
bobby
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

oakiemac

Paul, Sawmill John, Frank and others,

I'd like to get a list with pictures if possible of what kind of jigs and other usefull things you guys have done with your MDs.
Stuff like the octogon gig and corner boards, I aslo saw somewhere but have since lost it on how to saw D shaped housing logs and logs that are cut flat on both sides without turnng the log. Anyother neat gadgets or tricks would be nice to see.
I have been trying to figure out a way to cut tapered boards for for siding.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

sawmill_john

Oakie some where I've got the 2 and 3 sided house log diagram, also I'm working on a tappered siding attachment for my mill when I get it done I'll send you some pictures.  Paul explained the octagon post jig.  I have thought that a jig kind of like a lathe with live centers and some kind of indexing feature would really be nice for hardwoods, where your tring to figure out which face to start with.  The corner boards are smiple, I draw up a diagram and post it, I've got them on my house where I had to replace the existing ones.

john

Paul_H

I finished putting the electric starter kit on my 127 this afternoon.The kit was well designed and the only problem I had was trying to remember where I put the 3/8 x 1/4 key for the flywheel.Never did find it so I had to head to town and get some keystock and start cutting and filing.

When my son Tom gets home,we'll throw the engine into the truck and take it out back to the mill.

The flywheel and pulley as well as the starter and alternator are new.The engine was a pull start before and had a Magneto instead of a distributor

I would like to fire it up tonight but haste makes waste,so...I'll take the time and do it right  :-\

I hope to be sawing tomorrow  8) 8)

Corley5

Looks good Paul 8) 8)  How many hours do you get out of that engine if it's well maintained ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

karl

Hey Paul-
8) 8) 8) 8) yer gonna like turnin' that key a whole bunch better'n windin' rope!
the part about it STARTIN' should be an improvement too!

I'm glad this thread got brought up again....

Happy sawdust makin'

karl
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

oakiemac

Paul, I know you explained the octogon jig but with my feeble mind I need pictures or a diagram if possible. Much appreciated.
BTW: I'm glad you will be sawing in the morning again. You'll like the electric start.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Paul_H

Okay,Oakie,no makin fun of my pencil crayon drawings  ;) I don't know how else to do it. I stayed between the lines good though eh?

It is just a trough with a couple of boards braced and spaced to fit your bunks and dogs.Once you set your edger to the height to suit you,it's just a matter of flipping the cant 3 more times.Then throw the next one in and away you go.

Tom and I got the engine mounted and I fired it up  8)
The flywheel needs to move in toward the engine ,just a smidgeon and I have to do something about the throttle linkage from the governor but other than that it's looking good.

Should be sawing around noon tomorrow.

Karl,

you're right of course,it's alot better  smiley_thumbsup

Paul_H

Quote from: Corley5 on January 26, 2006, 07:09:18 PM
  How many hours do you get out of that engine if it's well maintained ???

I'm not too sure what the average is.We had ours rebuilt about 2 years ago and according to the former owner,that was the first time.He used the mill quite a bit since he bought it in 1979 but certainly not on a full time basis.

Maybe on of the others here would know what is a good average on the engine hours.

Frank_Pender

If I were an art teacher, you just passed with flying color crayons. 8) 8)  Wou you fax me a copy or your drawing, please? 

I have just come up with an interesting idea in conjunction with your drawing and use thereof.  More later. 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Paul_H

DanG

Good going, Paul!  I was gonna tell ya about that governor adjustment, but I see you already found out about it. :D :D :D

Paul_H

Hey DanG,
is it just a matter of shortening the throttle linkage or is it a governor adjustment? The governor was raised up higher by a few inches in the modification so it must be out of whack.

woodbowl

Quote from: oakiemac on January 26, 2006, 12:30:41 PM

I have been trying to figure out a way to cut tapered boards for for siding.

oakiemac, a while back I had a customer insist that I cut him some siding on my LT40. I'm not sure how it would work on your MD, but I believe it could be done without a lot of hassle.  .......  We squared up the cant and tilted it on every other cut and let it rest on 2 plastic splitting wedges. The trick to getting each tapered board the same was to mark a line on the wedges so they would be in the same spot each time.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Frank_Pender

I just spoke with a friend about the siding idea with the Mobile Dimension Mill.  He has it figured out with some of my imput as well.  I will be meeting with him next week some time and discuss more of the details.   It will take some time to build what we need but it will work.  I already have all of the hydraulics that we discussed a few minutes ago on the land line. 8) 8) 8)

He also just installed a vertical digital readout dial indicator on his new MD model 128  and has cut down a great deal of time in dial setting by hand.  I will be viewing that as well next week. 8) 8) 8)

Paul I sent your drawing on to him as well for us to discuss next week.  We will put you high on the royalities list, probably a full partner.
Frank Pender

DanG

Paul, I don't remember the specifics off the top of my head, but there's a procedure in the manual.  First time I started mine after the rebuild, it ran wild.  Musta topped 10,000rpm in the first second!  I sez, HOLY POOP, sez I, or something to that effect! :o :o  Sez, "Maybe I better think about shuttin' this thing off!"  Well, I did shut it off, after cogitatin' about it for a nanosecond or so, and it's a good thing I did! That thing woulda probbly blowed up at 13 or 14k!  Right quick-like, I figgered out that you oughta disconnect the governor from the carburatin' device before you start up a fresh engine.

If ya don't have the manual, I'd be glad to get that little bit of it to ya in the mornin'.

Paul_H

DanG,
I'll check the papers that they sent me with the kit.My problem with the throttle was the opposite of yours.When I moved the lever to the full throttle position,it would only open the carb a little past an idle.

I'm going to do a little cogitatin' too  ;)

Frank_Pender

Listen, Paul, do not mix your verbs and adverbs. 8)

It is past my bedtime, Night. ;D
Frank Pender

DanG

Why would ya need to add verbs when you already got verbs? ???  Boy!  These English teacher types never cease to mysticate me! :o ::)

Paul, I'm thinkin' that you disconnect the rod from the governor to the carb, then start the engine.  Make sure the throttle is all the way down, and reconnect the rod with the engine idling.  I'll look it up in the morning to make sure.

oakiemac

Thanks Paul, I see that you start with a squared cant. I was thinking round log. Looks like it would work out good. I think a similar device could be built then "tipped" at a given angle so that you could cut beveled sideing.

sawmill_john

Paul, you will have to re-adjust the governor, there should have been a different linkage rod included with your kit, follow the instructions excatly and you won't have any trouoble.  Also I would drain and replace the oil in the governor, it's well worth the time and what little cost the small amount of oil is to extend the life of the governor, they aren't cheap!

john

Paul_H

oakie,
I'm never very high tech but the trough works well.We ran a bunch of 6x6's through and kept track of the average time it took to turn a 6x6 into a Octo.It was 45-50 seconds with a helper to place in the trough and stack afterwards.

Sawmilljohn,
I got her purring like a kitten now  8) It fires up right away and I borrowed a tachometer yesterday and double checked the max rpm (2400)
I advanced the timing by ear but will probably,maybe get a timing light one day soon.

I will take your advice on the oil change in the governor.

Thanks!

sawmill_john

Good deal Paul, use the same weight oil that you use in the engine. and every oil change check the oil level in the governor, it only takes the time to remove the plug. 

good sawing guys! :)

john

sawmill_john

Hey oakiemac! OK here is the run down on cutting corner boards.  There are some givens like sharp teeth, proper lead, proper step adjustment,  not to mention correct crossfeed calibration, and height adjustment.  But I'm going with the idea the mill is set up and working properly.

The goal is to make a corner board.  This is the size I've made before 1" thick x 3-3/4" x 3-3/4"

1. Drop 4" in total, including bottom edger kerf.
2. Advance mill to the right, untill a clear cut for the entire length of log can be achieved.
3. Make pass squaring off board.

4. Raise mill 1 1/4".
5. Advance mill to the right to cut a 2 7/16" thick board.
6. Make pass cutting out board.

7. Drop mill back down 1 1/4".
8. Advance mill to the right to cut 1" board.
9. Make pass to cut out corner board.

This is a little time consuming but they sure look good.  It sounds hard but after you make a few I think you'll be able to figure it out and you can make larger sizes if you use the large edger.  I've only made the 4" ones.

Later
John

oakiemac

Thanks John, looks like there are a lot of possibilities. I need to play around with some of this stuff when I get some time.

Frank_Pender

Paul, you have her purrrrring, how about some sawdust being made?
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!