iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

We really should have a FF guide of terms.

Started by isassi, February 05, 2006, 10:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isassi

The more posts I read, the more I find how little I know. I was thinking maybe the FF members could contribute to create  a guide or reference of terms. For example, I I still do not know what "spalted" means. Took me awhile to figure out specific terms related to circle sawing and I have been around them for years. Why do they refer to the squared logs as cants? Why is the saw arbor support called a "husk"? Tom gave me a good one called "dote", the rot I encountered in a cedar log. I bet I'm not the olny one that may find such a guide useful. Perhaps as members see a term then don't know or want more info, they could post it and get an answer that would remain in the guide. Just an idea....thought I would toss it out and see if anyone else bit. ;)

Tom

We have a knowledge base where that kind of information is either available or is there for the recording.   If someone sees a term that requires an explanation, a post  asking for it would probably get the explanation.  Then you, as a member, can "submit it" and offer it to be installed in the Knowledge base by using the knowledge base submit function.  After review by admin, the information may be uploaded.

We've had this knowledge base for a long time, but nobody seems to take interest in it.  It is accessed by clicking on the "Forum Extras" button at the top right side of the Forum page.   :)

iain

You mean that is a link and not a disguise ;)

i think i may have to have a look

iain

iain

You should aslo note the importance of any subject matter to the forum members,
you can check the level of importance by clicking on the extras button, knowledge base, then how fast you get to the info you really want, and the number of sub headings (the most important being FOOD) anyone feel free to correct me here ;D

iain

beenthere

There is a glossary in the back of the Wood Handbook "Wood as an Engineering Material" that used to have a link in the forum extras. I don't find that link now.   Something about "Forestry Products Laboratory" (which should be changed to "Forest ......") but there seems to be no working link.   ???

This will link to it.

Forest Products Laboratory "Wood as an Engineering Material"
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Alot of folks on here that write management plans, including myself, have alot of forestry terms in a glossary of their plan template. Some of you that live in states or provinces with 'Woodlot Associations' have access to literature with alot of forestry terms. Even your local forest extensions have freebie booklets with terms, sometimes specific to your area.

I know the word dote or dotie wood as joasis speaks of, it's used here also. Some may just call it pocket rot, punk or but rot. Pocket or pencil rot is most commonly used to describe rot in northern white cedar here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sigidi

Here's the cat amongst the pidgeons.....

down here the rot in th emiddle of th elog is called 'pipe'.

A quick story, when I first got into milling the fella next door - an old cow cockie (an old farmer basically) came to me saying he had just put a tree down in his paddock, wanted to know how much to cut it up. I asked what size it was, he told me and then he said it's got a pipe in it. I'm confused as hell and tell him I 'aint cutting no tree with a bloody metal bar in it!!!  >:(

After that he edumacated me on what 'pipe' was  ;D :D

Great idea about a glossary/guide of terms, but ya may have trouble finding a single term for things, specially with you folkes almost having different countries over there ;)

Tom you're right about the knowledge base and it's lack of use, I looked at it before I got my sawmill and have never looked back, dunno if anything new has been put in.  :-[
Always willing to help - Allan

ely

SwampDonkey

Quote from: sigidi on February 06, 2006, 04:55:24 PM
down here the rot in th emiddle of th elog is called 'pipe'.

We also call them culvert logs ;D

Quote from: ely on February 06, 2006, 05:00:48 PM
i always thought it was spelled doady

Could be, but dote is a word (means to be insane or feable minded). But, that doesn't mean anything. Look up screefing in Webster's and see if they list it. ;D Screefing is using your foot to scrape off the duff down to mineral soil on a spot your planting a tree. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I am out of town right now but thinking about this and how we might come up with a user submitted glossary :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isassi

Ok...here is what I would like to know: Why is a husk called a husk? What does "spalted" mean referring to boards like maple? So does a slab off a mill with one edge straight a "flitch?" I figured out what DBH meant awhile back... ;D How about how a log scale stick works without having to digest a book to know. Useful common trees that ay surprise us (like my post on elm and mulberry).
     I know with any area of trade, there will be a ton of terms only associated within that trade, and I was merely suggesting one only for what we do with wood and sawmilling. I bet I am not the only one who would love to know more. And if some of you reading this think we have a lot of different terminology, you should try aviation,....like a whole new language... :P

Jeff

Doing a search and a little research at this link will answer almost any question you have...

LINK TO INFO ON SAWING>>LINK

isassi

Guess I will work on a list...and then as time permits, I will research and share with others. In aviation, we have an actual dictionary, with a simple one sentence explanation of terms. Of course, it does not contain enough information, but a student could use it to stay tuned in, without a textbook approach.  One point was (an the airplane guys will smile) was explaining the differences in overhauls....SMOH, STOH, SPOH, SMOHRE, and on and on...all these terms can confuse a novice, but say volumes to the experienced... :D I guess this topic was a bad idea and I apologize the admins for failing to fully explore the site before jumping in with a post... :P

Jeff

There really can be no guide better then experience. I gotta think that one needs to walk the walk in order to talk the talk, otherwise your just talking the talk so to speak. smiley_mad_crazy I sawed logs for 25 years and thought I knew it all. Turns out that until the last few years, I saw that I didnt know a whole lot more then how to use a machine to make round stuff square.

Having a quide and a glossary or even the forestry forum is all well and good, but they can only be support to getting out there and sawing wood and working with equipment or working with people or around people that know what you need to know. Heck, who knows, there is no rule that one cant invent thier own terms for the things they discover. Maybe those terms someday will become part of the list of words that should be in some "guide". Without the wish and the will of "getting out there"  A paper sawmill out of a wishbook and a written down list of words is really all one needs I guess.  What one wants to know may be far different then what one needs to know to be successful.

Thank You Sponsors!