iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this a Corley

Started by sawguyver, February 05, 2006, 08:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguyver

After looking though hours of posts I think this might be a corley.
What do you think.

Paul_H

It sure appears to be in good working order.I'm looking forward to finding out what it is too.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Sawyerfortyish

Never seen a corley but ran an american for 16yrs and the set works and dog you have pictured look exactly like them. The saw guied looks a little differant but the belts and drives in the husk are the same Except I had babbit bearings. Be interesting to see what corley5 has to say if he jumps in.

sawguyver

Thanks sawyerfortyish.
I'm told it may be from around the 1920's maybe 30's

I'm thinking that the color of the husk might be a clue.

highpockets

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

BBK

Quote from: Sawyerfortyish on February 05, 2006, 11:04:45 PM
Never seen a corley but ran an american for 16yrs and the set works and dog you have pictured look exactly like them. The saw guied looks a little differant but the belts and drives in the husk are the same Except I had babbit bearings. Be interesting to see what corley5 has to say if he jumps in.

We've had 2 American mills, both dated from the 1930's. The set works is exactly like the American "Ideal setworks" on the # 1 & #2 sized mills. he Dogs also look like similar to the American. The guide is exactly like the one on the american #2 I am currently running. The only thing throwing me is the belt drive. The American mills used a "rocker"system with the "stick" tightening the belts rotating aroung the carriage drive shaft. This one looks different.
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

isassi

The husk is the frame assemble that has the saw arbor, and drive the cable drum, saw guides, ect. depending on equipment. I had to ask too Highpockets, when I was looking at mills, and I grew up around one, just never knew the terminology  ;D

Sawyerfortyish

BBK I seen what your talking about on the throttle handle as I call it. My handle was bolted to the swing frame that the small drive pullys are on the other end of. This one has a shaft comming from that frame and attaching to the throttle handle that is mounted on it's own pivit point
   The color of the husk is also the same as my origanal husk on my old american but I had to replace mine and painted it grey.

BBK

I'm womdering if this old mill has been helped out with some misc parts from others. I have heard of rebuilding Corley, American and Frick with each others parts. I know a lot of frick belt drive  and carriage parts will match well together.
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

sawguyver

I looked up American sawmill at OWWM and found no pictures but...
in there old publications section I found this.

the counter weights  look right.

heres a view of those counter weights

and a different angle. :D

The set works are also there described as  american set works with quick receder
so are the dogs. this catalog is dated 1923

sawguyver

A closer look shows a spacer welded on to the head blocks.

With this I could my last board to 1" :)

The catalog mentions mill sizes as Pony, No.1 or No.2. Is there any idea how to size this one ???

Just other fun pictures :)

Sawyerfortyish

Whats that white stuff on the ground in the last couple pictures  ???. That mill is a long ways from home it was made in Hackettstown N.J. about 15 minuets from me. I think it's older than you know. The American sawmill Co was bought out and moved south about 70yrs ago. I've seen more of these mills go for scrap than I've seen running. They are a good mill. The one I had used babbit bearings and was made sometime around 1910-15 I also had two other mills for parts. I still run across one here and there in the woods or in a pasture or behind a barn. Most all of the parts from any American mill will fit any model you can match the casting numbers.
That spacer on your headblock was usally welded there because a belly would wear in the headblock from heavy use and that was a quick fix.

sawguyver

Great info sawerfortyish :)
This is its second location. It was setup here in the early 50's. Before that it was only 60 miles from here.
The friction belts run really smooth and the reverse belt is original. She can come back really fast if you pull back hard.  The bull lever is really responsive, you really feel connected to the machine.
The bearings were probably changed in the 60's although there is no trace of the old ones in the mill. There are still a few babbit bearings though

This year will be the first winter its been used. Usually too much snow to be worth the effort.

Thank You Sponsors!