iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Working on a new project

Started by Patty, February 05, 2006, 04:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

Ever have one of those projects you just can't seem to finish?  ::)  Well I am the master of unfinished projects! I drug out a quilt I started a few years ago....well actually it was more than a few....this quilt I began when I was pregnant with my first son, and he will be 27 years old this year. Geeeesh, my how time flies. Anyway I drug out the quilt, and it is a little faded and wrinkled now, I guess I know how it feels. The pattern is called Texas Star or something like that, and I used white satin, muslin, and bleached muslin fabric. The star is very subtle with just the different shades of white to set it off. It is really kinda pretty, and I would hate to think how many hours I have already put into the thing. But this time I am going to finish it!  8)

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

sprucebunny

I might be able to challange you in the unfinished project catagory, Patty ;D

It sounds like a real nice quilt and I hope you finish this time.

Usually I just go on to something else and seldom save unfinished things that long unless they are useable as is or expensive ::)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Paschale

Good for you, Patty...I know the curse of unfinished projects.  I've been planning on painting my dining room for about two years...and this weekend, I finally slapped the initial paint on the walls.

I've yet to build any furniture though...I've made some initial cuts on the table saw, but just can't seem to find the time to finish.  This spring though will see some furniture, by cracky!  
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Patty

I have the hand stitching left to do now. At least it will keep me toasty warm while I sew!

Joan, I would never have saved it this many years, but I had so much work into it, and I just couldn't bear to let it go. I am truley a pack rat. Just this month I started hauling clothes off to the salvation army. Some of those clothes were 15 years old, and still in perfectly good shape....they must have just shrunk a little over time I guess. ;D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Norm

Would you believe it took me 4 years to paint the upper level of windows because I'm such a slow painter.  :D

I'm not real crazy about heights so I put it off for as long as I could stand. Too cold to go outside so I drug the scaffolding in and started on the upper level. Darn scaffolding kept shaking while I was on the top deck, maybe had something to do with my knees shaking. ;D

Paul_H

Nice window! Is it South facing?

I'll bet the Winter sun would be great coming through into the room.

Patty,
that Texas Star reminds me of Lisa Simpson.  :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Minnesota_boy

My portable scaffold shakes just like Norm's does, until I beef it up a bit.  I like to use three 2x12s on the top to make it quit shaking.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

beenthere

Norm
That be a bit shakey when you get the 10' step ladder on the top there, (just hang on to the ladder).  Beautiful view and home.

Patty
Lots of quilt-makin around this house. Quilting machine in the living/dining room now as we don't normally heat the great room. Probably 4-5 quilts a month go through that machine. The machine is for the Church World Relief quilts (about 40 a year) and the grandkids quilts get sent out for more 'fancy' quilting.
That looks like a great pattern, and wish you luck in getting it finished (maybe for the grandchild? )  :)  It could happen someday!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

It does face the south Paul, we sit up on hill and overlook the valley south of us. The ridge in the distance is called Mormon ridge, it was where the trail for the Mormons heading to Utah went if I remember right.

MB I have the same as you, 2x12's on the top deck. Still feels like the whole thing is going to tip over when you reach up painting from it and no way am I putting a step ladder up there. :D

Patty

Paschale...at least you got started now. I hate to paint. If it were up to me, those windows would never get done. I painted some trim pieces for a couple other windows this mrning, and in 10 minutes I had paint all over my hands, my jeans, the brush handle, the table, my hair ....it was not a pretty sight. :D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

RichlandSawyer

Hi Patty,

My wife would be happy to put that on her quilting machine if you wanna take the easy way out.
We live straight south of you just outside des moines.
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

karl

To make some of my owner/helpers more comfortable on staging I have
1. decked it solid with planks/plywood below them
2. added pipe rail above if applicable
3. used ratchet (cargo)straps to X brace and tension the setups so "their knees" wobble less ;)
4. wired/strapped planks behind them so they have something to "touch" that feels secure.

Back when I was a young and more foolish fella and got nervous on high roofs we usta go for a "hydraulic lunch"- made the afternoon go better-I DO NOT recommend that approach- not everyone has a guardian angel as dedicated and efficient as I have. ::)

my philosophy is "if it can't be dipped or sprayed it don't need paint"
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

asy

Hey Patty, good for you!!!

I fixed up all the half finished projects around here when I moved into this house a year ago. Put them in a box and sent them to lifeline (charity).

The old ladies there went through them and took them all home (I know coz I sent them in with my motherinlaw).

By the way, what's with the use of the word 'drug' as the past tense of drag?  What happened to Dragged?

You Americans sure have a way of massacreing the language!!! 

IAIN BACK ME UP HERE!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

IMERC

Quote from: Norm_F. on February 05, 2006, 05:01:01 PM
Would you believe it took me 4 years to paint the upper level of windows because I'm such a slow painter.  :D

that is breakneck fast in my book...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

pigman

My wife is working on a quilt that she started 24 years ago when she was pregnant with our son. I suppose after having a son the mothers are a little slow in finishing a quilt. ::)  I am glad I build furniture as a hobby instead of making quilts. I don't think I could work on one project for over twenty years. I worked on my daughter's furniture over a period of eight months and I thought I was slow. ;D   
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Don_Papenburg

Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

UNCLEBUCK

Looks great Patty and dont poke your finger . Norm it sounds like you were stalling  :D , nice windows and paint job but I cant see the silo anywhere  ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

CHARLIE

Patty, that is a very nice looking quilt!  At least you had your priorities in order. You had time to work on the quilt when you were pregnant but once your son was born, he took priority over the quilt.  Now you have time again. I'm sure the quilt and it's story will be in your family for many, many years. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

Amatoors!  Yer all amatoors at this procrastination thing!  My old Pappy once got into hooking rugs. He started one, a partickly nice one, before I was born, and ain't finished it yet!! :o ::)  It is a fluffy white cat on a brilliant green background.  It is about 90% complete, but will probably never be finished. :'(  I don't know who will end up with it when he's gone, but you can bet your bippy it will be cherished by somebody! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

asy

AND WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

hehe

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

iain

BACK YOU UP, BACKYOU UP, GET A LIFE WOMAN,

AFTER ALL THE STICK I TOOK ABOUT NOT GETTING THINGS DONE AROUND MY HOUSE,

cept of course the wonderfull Dang

iain

iain

And the proper word in this tense would be dragded

pronounced drag-dead, but it dont matter none as it aint worth all that much, even on a triple letter

iain

Faron

Really pretty quilt, Patty.  My grandmother was a quilter among quilters.  I'd guess from the mid seventies through the nineties she made 40 or so quilts.  No one of them is the same.  All were quilted by hand.  I'd be afraid to guess how many she made in her lifetime.  When I think of her, she was often sitting cutting out a quilt, or putting one together, or quilting.  She is still with us, but her mind no longer will let her quilt.  I never know how much those days meant to me until they were gone.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Patty

Thank you so much for the offer Richland, but I think I need to finish this one myself. I didn't realize you were so close to us. How are you coming on your mill?  Des Moines has grown so much since we lived there. We moved away  in 1985, when our oldest started school, I hardly recognize the place anymore.

I was telling Norm I need to have one of those big quilters set up in the living room like Beenthere does. Our neighbor used to have hers set up in front of the living room window so she could watch the world go by as she sewed. I think that is a fine way to pass the hours. I made a couple comforters for Chritmas projects this year, and that put me in the mood to tackle this quilt again.

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

katie-did

Patty- that is a beautiful quilt I love simple colored quilts! I would live to have one that is just one solid color would not even have to be pieced together I just love the needle work of the quilting. But, you got further then me I have never finished a top to even think of quilting. I just have to may hobbies to put to much dedication on one thing like a quilt.
I had a friend ask me exactly what all I did and it ended up filling up a half a page. Now you are talking about unfinished projects and I think I would have at least a quarter of a page of unfinished project for each of my hobbies. None of them are more then 10years old but the quantity is large. Good luck on getting the quilting done.
Do you have a big floor frame or are you going to do it by hoop? Cotton or ply batting? I love the weight of the cotton but I like a heavy blanket. I can't what to see the finished pictures. Make sure to take a close up of the quilting.
Love your view just would hate to clean them widows.
Katie-did
Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

sawguy21

Tell ya what DanG, you come up here and finish my projects and I'll come down and finish yours. :D :D :D Mom was active in a quilting guild for quite a few years. My sister and I each have two that  are real treasures. BTW, what is the best way to wash them? I am reluctant to use the machine.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Right Patty. Here's the machine (not the $12k long-arm, but a workable one nonetheless) in the 'dining' room (now quilting room :) ). This quilt one of several baby quilts to be donated to a local 'Lucas' program for small quilts for police and fire rescue, as I understand.

Here is where it usually resides, but we don't always heat this 24 x 30' room in the winter except party times (maybe once a week).

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

RichlandSawyer

Goodmorning Patty.

I understand completely. Kinda the principle of the thing. The mill would get done faster if i could figure out how to fit 36.5 hours into one day. Yesterday was the first day i've had off in 3 weeks and of course the game was on!! So today i'm headed for the shop to get those darn blade guides welded on. Before i have to go back to work. Night time electrical work pays extremely well but can really mess with a fellars funtime schedule.

RichlandSawyer

aka. Tony and Dee

P.S. Dee would like to know if you do a lot of sewing or if this is a onetime deal.
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

Patty

Tell Dee I am a "hobby Sewer" Well that sounds pretty awful, maybe I should go with "hobby seamstress"  :D   I really enjoy sewing. I started back in high school when my friend and I wanted a new outfit to wear every Saturday night for our dates. The only way to afford this was to sew our own. We started out buying 1 yard of fabric, and then cutting it in half. Each of us was able to sew a skirt from this 1/2 yard of fabric.  Yea, short would describe this skirt!  :o    Anywhooooo I proceeded to make all my own clothes through high school, and my mom made my winter coats. I even made my own prom dresses...but that is a whole other story for another day. Mom made my wedding dress and that was the last of my sewing for many years. Then I started making some dolls for my nieces, from remnants of my Grandma's doll making fabric.  I got away from sewing for many years after the boys were born, they weren't into the cutsey clothes like a little girl would like....and I do thank heaven for that!  :D When they got into college I made them comforters for their dorm beds, and some pajama bottoms that they still laugh about.
Then I got into sewing little dolls to give to hospitals for the little kids that came through their doors. That was fun. Now I sew just for pure pleasure. I still make the dolls for the hospitals, a few comforters for gifts, special Annie dolls for sprcial friends, and odds and ends. It keeps me occupied.

Beenthere, I have never seen such a device for a sewing machine. I thought you were using the big floor frame for hand quilting. Yours looks much faster.

Katy...thanks for the compliments.  :)  I have a small hoop, but it pretty much sucks for big quilts. I wish I had a big floor frame. Now I crawl around on the floor with a needle and thread. Not good! I actually try to do as much on my machine as possible. And by the way, who said anything about washing the windows? They still had the original Marvin stickers on them from when we installed them 4 years ago! I figure that is why God made rain, it was to wash the outside of windows. As for the insides, well they are on their own. "I don't do windows!" :D :D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

ely

i am a procrastinater and also a conusuer of quilts, not to mention a master of the english language and professional speller too. my grandmother was a quilter her whole life. she passed this last march 3 days after her birthday at 98 years.  my point was i have quilts made by her from variuos points in her life. at a younger age she had sewn with very tiny stitches and as she got older she lost sight in one eye completely then later the site in her good eye waned to near blindness, yet she continued to quilt. the later quilts some have stitches up to 3/4 of an inch long and not nearly straight. sometimes i laugh when i look at them and other times it brings tears to my eyes. she was a great lady and was always busy. thanks for making me think of her.

Patty

Someday I hope to be remembered fondly by my grandchildren.    Oh wait, first I need to HAVE grandchildren!  :-\
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

katie-did

Patty, thought that I would show you my toy I got last March.
I am also a hobbyist when it comes to sewing but now I have a machine that can do what ever I want it to.
I have always wanted a sewing machine that was smarter then me. :D Well that did not take much but I got one that was way smarter then me.
It is a Husquarna Viking Designer I that is a embroidery machine. (Hey guys it may be a sewing machine but at least I bought a good brand right? 8))

After I got it I had someone that wanted me to do some custom work for them so I bought the profession software that goes with it. You can take an image or a picture and digitize it so that you can embroider it. That is what took the machine way over my head. I still have not figured out all of the things that it can do but I have done some things with it. I made 12 bag camp chairs with the embroidery on the chair and bag, I made Part-Timer some custom shirt, I also made some shirts for his mother and I customized our camp chairs so that when we go to get together's everyone know who's chair they took. I still have a lot that I want to do but just have not found the time. To many other things to half start.
Here is some of the thing that I done:

Larry

Wow...I didn't even know they had machines for quilts.  My recollection was a big room with a frame and it was all done by hand.

Sorta got into a thing little over a year ago.  A senior lady asked me if I could make quilting blocks...she said nobody sold them anymore.  I didn't have a clue but she told me light, easily adjustable, and soft wood for the staples.  She gave me dimensions and I headed to the shop.  Figured basswood should work good so cranked out the first one.  Instant hit and I've made a bunch of em for no charge for a lota of ladies.

My reward is seeing the smile on there faces...and sometimes a bonus quilt. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

katie-did

Hey Patty I forgot to say you have that nice big work shop out there make your own Floor quilting frame. Grandma could not find one that she could handle putting up and taking down so she got the plans and had a guy make one for her that was light weight. I took him about 2 days to make it.

Oh & while Norm has that scafling sit up make him  ;D wash them windows and then you will be good for another 4 years. :D

beenthere

Patty
As far as a quilt frame goes, just leave the scaffold up and tie the quilt to it. Looks to me like it would hold a pretty good sized one at that.  :)

The quilting machine in my pic is called a Handiquilter, http://www.handiquilter.com/
This site will explain it better than I can.

south central Wisconsin

ScottAR

That embroidery machine brings back memories... I used to work at a screen printers/embroidery shop...  I did screen printing but occasionally I would help in the embroidery area doing gopher work...   They had a 15 head and a 12 head machines...  Pretty neat to watch  the hats and shirts move under the various machine heads.  27 sewing machines goin' at once is pretty loud though. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Roxie

Patty, the quilt is gorgeous!  I have a quilt that I've been working on since 1980 too....every stitch is done by hand.  Mine is the 50 State Flags.  About every five years, I do another flag...so at this rate, I'll be finished in 2230!
Perhaps, I should step up the pace!   ::)
Say when

Norm

Quote from: katie-did on February 06, 2006, 10:12:59 PMOh & while Norm has that scafling sit up make him  ;D wash them windows and then you will be good for another 4 years. :D

Oh sure give the poor defenseless husband some more high wire work. :D

katie-did

Quote from: Norm_F. on February 07, 2006, 07:05:53 AM
Oh sure give the poor defenseless husband some more high wire work. :D
Norm you sound like Part Timer. Our living room has a 13'8" ceiling. He painted it 10 years ago and it is not that great of a job because the ladder we have is not real sturdy. I want it painted again because if you turn the top light on you can see all the spots that are thin. Every time I bring it up he wants to put something up there so he never has to do it again. Patty did we marry men or mice smiley_headscratch? They will go out and kill a  smiley_turkey_dancing dangerous  animal smiley_monkeyfight but will not climb up somewhere a little high. :D Oh well I guess the next person can do it cause I am not climbing up there.   ;D

Quote from: ScottAR on February 07, 2006, 01:21:36 AM
That embroidery machine brings back memories... I used to work at a screen printers/embroidery shop... I did screen printing but occasionally I would help in the embroidery area doing gopher work... They had a 15 head and a 12 head machines... Pretty neat to watch the hats and shirts move under the various machine heads. 27 sewing machines goin' at once is pretty loud though.
Sometimes I wish I had one of them machine so I could do hats and small things but I really enjoy my machine. If I have the machine going my son says there is a ghost smiley_skull in the house because it just goes at it and dose its thing till I have to change colors.

highpockets

I can see Jeff and Tom together trying to put a sawing machine on their sawmills. 
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Don_Papenburg

Kati did , Patti ,  have you never seen them teliscoping handles  that screw into paint rollers / squeeges  ?  you can paint and wash windows from the safety  of the floor .  Er they make good gifts also .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Patty

Thanks for the helpful tip there Don; ::)  but really, I am ok with not washing them at all!  ;D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Murf

Norm, a couple of those canvass strap type load binder thingey's will do wonders for tightening up scaffolding.

Use the straps to form cross-braces and cinch them up a little. The steelX-braces they give you with the end frames allow too much motion because of the play between the holes and the pins, this gets multiplied by the number of joints.

Generally 2 straps per side from as high as you can get, to the bottom corners will really snug it up.  ;)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Thank You Sponsors!