iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl "RS" vs. Oregon "LP" Which is better for Firewood?

Started by outdoortype, February 05, 2006, 03:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoortype

I've been using an Oregon 73LG on my Husky.  Today I switched over to a STihl 35RS and it made a huge difference.  The Stilh RS cut much faster but a little rougher(more Vibration).  I've heard that the Oregon "LP" is superior to the "LG" but how does it stack up to Stihl's "RS" for non dusty, occasional frozen firewood?  The LP would allow me to use Husky's brilliant roller file guide.

sawguy21

The LG is a low kickback chain so the LP will be faster. The RS cuts a wider kerf and does vibrate more but Stihl claims the new RSC will be smoother.
I like the LP for felling and bucking but find it a little too agressive for limbing. My lighter 345 with the 95VP narrow kerf chain works well for that.r
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Max sawdust

Check out Bailey web site on the right of the screen.  They have every chain you can imagine. Make sure you feel comfortable with the increased risk of kickback if you switch chain. Sawguy21 gave you good advice.

I like the husky roller guides too.  If you look at old posts you will see a few on the subject.
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

SawTroll

Quote:
Quote from: outdoortype on February 05, 2006, 03:22:28 PM
"I've been using an Oregon 73LG on my Husky. Today I switched over to a STihl 35RS and it made a huge difference. The Stilh RS cut much faster but a little rougher(more Vibration). I've heard that the Oregon "LP" is superior to the "LG" but how does it stack up to Stihl's "RS" for non dusty, occasional frozen firewood? The LP would allow me to use Husky's brilliant roller file guide."

My vote goes to the RSC, with the LP as a very close runner-up. The difference is mainly the better stay-sharp of the RSC.
Both these are low-vibe chain, while the LG and RS is not.
Regular RS is now discontinued in 3/8", but some probably still is in the pipe-line.

The rollerguide can be used on Stihl chain with slight modifications. I use it on LP, RSC and RM with good result (I think).

Quote:
Quote from: sawguy21 on February 05, 2006, 09:49:14 PM
The LG is a low kickback chain so the LP will be faster. ...
In fact it is the LP that is a low kickback chain, as is the new Stihl RSC3, on which Stihl has copied that feature from the Oregon LP, VP etc.
The little ramp on the driver directly in front of the raked doesn't seem to slow cutting down much, if at all. 8)
Information collector.

beenthere

SawTroll
What mod's need to be done to get the rollerguide to work on the RSC (I have RS now, but suspect RSC for the next replacements if it is discontinued).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SawTroll

Quote from: beenthere on February 06, 2006, 11:46:36 AM
"SawTroll
What mod's need to be done to get the rollerguide to work on the RSC (I have RS now, but suspect RSC for the next replacements if it is discontinued). "

Read the posts by "Glens" in this tread.

Edit;
I have modified the blue bodied roller guide for 36RSC and RM chain, and I had to widen the slots that fit over the chain slightly. This was done in such a way that the "suggested" top-plate angle also were changed from 25 to about 30 degrees.
Information collector.

beenthere

Thanks for that connection. I may look at picking up the roller guide and see if it can be fitted to the Stihl chain. I don't have a problem with hand filing now, but more curious than anything as to how the roller guide would improve. It may just end up on the shelf like the Oregon guide that clamps on the bar, and the 'dremel' sharpeners that 'eat' teeth, and the sliding file/guide holders. 
I'll also pick up a single-tooth raker guide. Again, I don't have an issue with raker heights, but want to need to check it out.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Max sawdust

Quote from: beenthere on February 07, 2006, 11:27:54 AM
Thanks for that connection. I may look at picking up the roller guide and see if it can be fitted to the Stihl chain. I don't have a problem with hand filing now, but more curious than anything as to how the roller guide would improve. It may just end up on the shelf like the Oregon guide that clamps on the bar, and the 'dremel' sharpeners that 'eat' teeth, and the sliding file/guide holders. 
I'll also pick up a single-tooth raker guide. Again, I don't have an issue with raker heights, but want to need to check it out.  :)
:D :D :D :D
know what you mean. I think I tried every gadget on the market besides a bench grinder.
It is My Opinion tha the roller file is very good, at least on my husky chains, maybe these mods will work with your chains too
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Thank You Sponsors!