iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

moving a Circle mill

Started by shopteacher, February 05, 2006, 12:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shopteacher

Can anyone give me an idea what it takes to move a Corley mill. I've been watching one on Ebay and it ends today.  I live about 200 mile away and the bidder is required to have it moved by the 28th.  How big of a truck would it take to haul it in one trip? Anyone here interested in hauling it for a fee?  It's located near Athens, Ohio and I live 20 mile east of Washington, Pa. Right off interstate 70.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Jeff

Depends on the mill but if its like greg's mill yer going to need a 40 foot trailer to haul it and if its set up, to get it yer going to need lots of wrenches and hammera and jacks, probably torches and almost certainly a fork lift.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

shopteacher

Man Jeff, you sure put a damper on that idea.  However I'm not ready to conceed yet.  Any idea of what a truck and 40 ft. trailer would charge?  I could put some on my rollback but not enough to make a difference in the overall magnitude of the job.  I got the handtools and I believe there is a loader available.  Ebay # 7586759965 

Buzz-sawyer

Well ,
You dont have to use a 40 foot truck...
You can torch the rail sections at a convienent size and re build it.....but you would need something to lift and handle the husk, power unit and carriage with....I used a homemade boom truck....gin poles with a winch...... :) :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

shopteacher

Here is an answer to a question posted: The Dog Tracks are 34 in high, Head Block is 45 1/2 In wide, and the Carriage is 15 ft long. The Saw Box from the blade to the pully is 62 in and 90 in long. One engine is 63 in long and 40 in wide and the other is 7 ft by 4 ft. We have 4 sets of tracks that the carriage sits on and they do come apart. Two sets are 10 ft long, one set is 16 ft and the last set is 8 ft long. For a total of 44 feet of track. Also, we have been asked if someone local can help load the heavy equipment, and we do have someone, however his time is limited.

It appears the longest section of track are 16 ft. so they wouldn't need to be cut apart. What are dog tracks?

etat

I always thought that dog tracks was like when that new little dog of yours (congragulations by the way) gets outside after a rain and then gets back inside your house and walks across your floors and carpet leaving a trail of, and well, you get the picture!  :D

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

beenthere

"dog tracks" are likely the 'knees' that hold the dogs that hold the logs. The dogs slide up and down, and expect are being referred to as 'tracks'. Gives some idea of the height. 

That distance wouldn't be too far to make two or three trips, if you have the time. Seems most of the time would be 'dividing' it up into movable sections, and will depend on how many 'days' you can spend preparing and getting them ready to move. Do you have some time to do that?

Looks like a fun project. Hope it works out for you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

shopteacher

Charles, you're right about them dog tracks and this little guy can certainly make em. 

Beenthere that's what Ibeen thinking, but the time is short and working days and an upcoming trip to Pheonix, well you get  the picture.  The other thing is Feburary and you never know exactly what the weather

lord_kenwolf

if it was me moving that mill i would use a ramp truck.  it might take 2-3 trips but that would be the easyest way to do it.
when me and my dad brought our #1 lane home we used a very small trailer. it was 4 feet wide and 12 feet long.  and we used his mini van to haul it. it was a big load but we only had to go 35-40 miles. we used just 2 adjustable wrenches, 2 hammers, a couple jacks, some chain and a come-a-long.
if the husk is sepret from the track then it shouldnt be that hard to load onto a trailer or a ramp truck. do the husk first, then the carriage, then the track and engines at the same time. from the looks of the mill it would be very easy to load.

sawguyver

This might sound crazy but ....
I would raise the far end of the track to the hight of the trailer. then I would dissassemble the husk and place it on the carrige. Then I would winch everything up the track onto your trailer. last of all dissasemble the track. load and go.

shopteacher

Well I think from all the good advice I got here it sounds doable so I'm going to try and make her mine.  Wife asked how much I can get for the woodmizer if I buy this one. I told her nothing as I have no intention of selling the mizer unless it to buy another one.  She asks" what are you going to do with 2 sawmills"  and I reply "retire and play".

sawguyver

My circular mill is as much fun to modify and play with as it is to cut wood. Theres always something to improve on. Then there's the reward of being a little more efficient the next time you saw ::). You can spend alot of time dreaming up features. Always fun to do when your somewhere you don't want to be :D :D

highpockets

Boy, old bhlivestock was looking for the high bidder wasn't he.   I wouldn't mind having that.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

shopteacher

Ya, he was going at it hot and heavy.  Never know he still might be in the race and just laying low.

shopteacher

Anyone interested in giving circle saw lessons? ???

sawguyver

Congradulations ??? ???
Too new to give lessons but look forward to hearing more ;D smiley_bouncing_pinky

beenthere

Are you getting it even tho the reserve wasn't met? 

Great if you are, and I sure would like to be closer to help you move it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jpgreen

The auction is not a sale if the reserve wasn't met BUT I see no reason why the seller would not acept Shopteach's offer, because that's a good indication of what people will pay for the mill.

I would contact the seller, as they prolly will sell it at that price.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

shopteacher

I talked to the owner and got a second chance offer for the bid price. I accepted the off and now just got to get it home. Going to try and find a semi with a flat bed and if I have to I'll haul it on my rollback.  That would require a couple trips though and probably won't be cheaper than having it hauled and a lot less driving.  Just wish it wasn't February.

GF

Congrats on getting the mill.  Need to post photos as you assembly it back, might want to take some prior to diassembly just so you can refer back to during the reassembly process. 

Ron Wenrich

I have moved a couple of circle mills.  This one sounds like it is on wood.  The track comes off in sections, and isn't too heavy.  How long is the mandrel?  If its a short mandrel, I'd leave it on.  Long mandrels should be taken off, since they can get to be pretty heavy.

The heavy portion of your load is going to be the motors.  Load them up front.  Your carriage can be stacked up.  You may want to put the carriage on a set of track to help protect the wheels. 

Cost should probably be in the $2/mile range.  The fun starts when you try to set it up.  You won't need lessons sawing.  You know how to saw.  You just need lessons on circle saw sharpening.   ;)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

lord_kenwolf

congrats on getting the mill. i hope that you get it home ok. one thing to take note tho when taking it apart. remember how the cable is hooked up on the carriage and on the cable drum. when we took ours apart to bring it home we didnt notice how it was wraped and it took us a complete day to figure it out. we even had 2 other circle mills to look at, their wraps were compleatly different them ours.

Frank_Pender

Take lots of pictures of how things are put together.  It took four forty foot lowboy trips along with numerous trips with my F350, at the time and a 24' flatbed trailer.
Frank Pender

shopteacher

Gee Frank I sure hope it won't take that much to move this one.  I thought I'd lost it last night. I talked to the seller (and to make a long story short ) she told me she had an offer 2 hundred more than mine and wanted to know if I go any higher. Told her no and figured I probably lost the mill.  Thought a great deal about on the 40 min drive to work and resolved what will be will be.  About a half hour after geting to school I get a call on the cell and it was her.  She said the mill was mine and I could start to dismantle this weekend.  I'd  still have to locate a semi to try and haul it in one load, but will probably try and bring the motors back Sat. 
   Thanks for all the well wishes and will be needing support and info to try and get her back together and running.

Buzz-sawyer

Quote from: shopteacher on February 05, 2006, 06:11:44 PM

Well I think from all the good advice I got here it sounds doable so I'm going to try and make her mine.  Wife asked how much I can get for the woodmizer if I buy this one. I told her nothing as I have no intention of selling the mizer unless it to buy another one.  She asks" what are you going to do with 2 sawmills"  and I reply "retire and play".

Well this is just , good sound thinking 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!