iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New saw selection

Started by kenskip1, February 04, 2006, 07:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenskip1

Sometime, in the near future I have a plan to purchase a new saw. The last new one I bought was a Stihl 028WB back in 1985. I have been a Stihl man since. However, I have been hearing some good comments about the competion. I am looking for one in the Three cubic inch range. The Husky 350 looks promising however, I do not care for the plastic case. The 455 Rancher appears to be over weight also has a plastic case.. The possible saw would be a 353. I have my 041 with a 20 inch bar and this handles most heavy chores. The 028 is the good all around saw.
Has their been much of a change in saws since  I got my 028?
Will this 353 be able to handle an 18 bar with .325 pitch?
How would a man compair a Husky 55 with the new 353?
A 365 and above is more saw than I need or plan to spend. I value your opinions, Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

Mojo

Ken, I think the 359 is probably the best husqvarna in the 3 ci range. 3.9 hp is more than enough power to pull an 18 inch bar, the 353 will pull an 18 inch bar, but the 359 is ideal with an 18 inch bar - way more torque. Good luck

twistedtree

Check out the 346XP.  It's a pro saw with an alloy case (not plastic), and packs a great punch for it's size and weight.  They are about $395 to $460 depending on where you buy.

sawguy21

The newer saws are lighter and faster than your 028 yet very durable. What are you cutting? The 353 is a really nice unit with the 18" bar for softer woods. I especially like the 18" for limbing and bucking. My back is not getting any younger.
If harder woods are your thing, I would go for the 359. It handles 3/8 chain well and has the same power as the MS341. The MS361 has 1/2 hp more with the same weight as the MS341 and is really nice to use. Husky does not have a comparable model.
I really liked the 041 thirty years ago. Good power to weight ratio in their time but they are brutes compared to the new ones
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawTroll

Quote from: twistedtree on February 05, 2006, 06:33:28 PM
Check out the 346XP.  It's a pro saw with an alloy case (not plastic), and packs a great punch for it's size and weight.  They are about $395 to $460 depending on where you buy.
The 353 is exactly the same saw as the 346xp, except for the engine and the precense of a decomp valve on the 353.
The 55 is a much older and inferior design, but still a good saw.

All these saws are at their best with 15-16" bars, although Husky recommends up to 20".
If you want to use 18-20" bars regularly, you better move up to the 60cc class.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 05, 2006, 09:42:06 PM
... If harder woods are your thing, I would go for the 359. It handles 3/8 chain well and has the same power as the MS341. The MS361 has 1/2 hp more with the same weight as the MS341 and is really nice to use. Husky does not have a comparable model. ..
Most people will say that the 357xp compares quite well to the 361, even though the power rating is a bit lower.
Information collector.

ComputerUser

The 350 and 353 are both good saws from everything that I have heard.  I think that 18" would be the realistic maximum for that saw with .325 chain; I'd prefer to run a 15"/16" setup if it was my saw.  It sounds like you're looking for a lightweight saw for smaller tasks, so I would save my money and skip the 359 unless you really need the extra 1.5lbs and $130/$70, especially since you already have a bigger saw for big work.  I am of the mind that the 60cc saw is a class of saw that really doesn't make sense for most users in the US/Canada, unless they are a one-saw sort of person - bigger/heavier than a 50cc, not as much oomph as a 70cc+.  Folks over in Norway and such love the 60cc class, though, because so much of their commercial timber is only 15"-20", so a 70cc+ saw isn't necessary.

You may also want to consider a 5100 Dolmar, an excellent saw with 4hp, if you're OK with having a bit less dealer support.  Comparisons between this saw, the Stihl 260Pro and the Husqvarna 346, put this saw a bit ahead of both in hp and torque, and it is only a little bit heavier.  It features the best anti-vibe of any saw I've run, and maintanance/repair is really easy.  You should be able to pick one up for about $360 with a 16" b/c.

kenskip1

I would like to tthank those that have made a reply. I trend to drift towards the 353 with a 16 in. bc. The reason that I asked about the 55 is because I bought a used one. I like it! I will be doing light work and nothing really heavy with this saw. However, I want it to cut. That is why I will be getting a 16 in bc.  Thanks Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

hydro2

I have a 353 and cut a pile of wood each year for my outside woodstove. Nice light saw with ample power.
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

hydro2

I have an 18" bar and the saw has plenty of power.  Go for the 18" bar.
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

Alta

I think Id be more inclined to just keep the 028 running, maybe freshen it up with a new piston and cylinder if needed, rather than buy a new saw, that is if its not too beat in general. Just my .02 - I like the 028 for medium duty stuff and it can handle the chores you are planning just fine.  You can also find all the parts you need on Ebay at a fraction of the dealer price. Also I converted my 028 to 3/8 pitch (for about $7.50) & .063 20" bar (spare I had lying around) to run the same chain I run on my 044 for convenience.

cnl390

I am a relative novice with chainsaws and felling & limbing & bucking (but I'm picking up the terminology) and the members that have already answered your post have decades more knowledge than I.

But I do have a Husky 353 and can give you my take on the saw.

I find it not too heavy, well balanced and easy to handle.  And the compression release makes it sooo easy to start.

I have been using a 20" bar (although heading the advise of this forum I am installing a 16" bar) with both the Husky Low Vibe chain & Bailey's Woodsman Pro and both work very well.

I have felled , falled, I have cut down cedars up to 14" diameter and the saw went through them like a hot knife though warm butter.  I did learn, the hard way (pinched bar & bent chain), the true  meaning of leaving a hinge and using wedges.

I have also cut oaks to about 8" with the same results.

I know I am not as experienced and don't cut the big stuff like the others here, but I wanted to try and be some help.

sawguy21

Yer learnin'  :D :D :D That is how to climb the learning curve. Keep your eyes open and your head up.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Alta

thats funny - I had a couple firemen I work with on my property cutting some fire wood. They're great on a roof with a saw but a little green in the woods. So after I drove by and witnessed their initial cut on a 20" oak, I told them that after they got the saw unstuck to please dress the stump so no one would think I cut it like that. It wasnt much later that they were working together to get the saw untstuck, and they did indeed clean up the stump. And they got a nice full load of wood that day.  The learning curve......

SawTroll

Quote from: cnl390 on February 18, 2006, 10:21:37 AM
....... (although heading the advise of this forum I am installing a 16" bar) with both the Husky Low Vibe chain & Bailey's Woodsman Pro and both work very well.

Are those chain the narrow kerf varieties (95VP/H30 and 20NK)??

If so, do you notice any difference at all between them?
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!