iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

i want to plant a "hedgerow" in the woods for a property boundary

Started by Dan_Shade, February 04, 2006, 06:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I want to put a fence up, and then plant hedges around this fence (actually probably on the back side of it).  I want it thick enough to give me plenty of privacy.  the catch is it has to run through the woods around my property, now on the property, there is a lot of holly and laurel with a few oaks and pines scattered around.

i originially thought maybe leyland cypress, but i don't want anything that gets over 20' tall (if I can avoid it), and I want to make sure it will grow under the trees and with the other brush.  as these trees/plants grow up, i'm planning on clearing out a lot of the pines and crappy oaks, along with some of the laurel and holly to open my lot up some.

any suggestions?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

How does eastern red cedar do in shade? People here use northern white cedar most often because it also gives winter privacy, it's slow growing and makes a good hedge when trimmed. Only thing is you might have deer troubles. Have you tried Rhododendron? It grows all over Virginia in the woods wild and is evergreen.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tony

The perfect hedge;

Privet Hedge   ;D :D ;D :D :o

Tony  8)

TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Dan_Shade

how thick can you plant rhododendren? how tall do they get?

funny part of these questions is I'm from WV, it's the state flower, and I know nothing about it!

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

Dan, I've seen them 12 feet tall up at Mountain Lake in Virginia. I'm not sure how close you can plant them, but they are very shade tolerant because they grow in the canopy of hardwood. Ask the folks at your local Forest Extension.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

I'll have to chase that down.  I want something that gets pretty tall in a short amount of time.

Is leyland cypress shade tolerant?

Ianab

Quotehow thick can you plant rhododendren? how tall do they get?

About a thousand different varieties rhodendron, they can grow 3ft or 30ft depending on the species. You can plant them fairly close, i.e. they can be formed into a formal type hedge. 

QuoteIs leyland cypress shade tolerant?

I think they want full light, but they will shade out everything else and 20ft is just a start for most of them  ::) Good if you want a BIG solid hedge, but they usually outgrow their welcome in a mixed setting.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dan_Shade

i'm leaning towards the rhododendron, i just need to find a strain that will grow tall in the local climate.

I don't want to have to trim them, though.  I'm pretty lazy, do they require "coersion"?

Phorester

If you don't want a hedge over 20 feet tall, you'll have to stay away from all native conifers and most exotics unless you can find a dwarf variety, which is hard to find in the conifer category.  And usually the dwarfs don't get much over 10 feet tall, probably less in the woods.  Rhododendron would be a good choice for a native species. Does well in the deep shade of a forest.  Nope, they don't need any pruning. Maybe a combination of them and holly?   It's good to use more than one species, so if an insect or disease decimates one species, the others will still be there to provide the screening effect.

Remember any tree planted in the woods will grow slower than in the open because of the reduced sunlight.

Tom

If it will grow in Maryland, Legustrum (privet) makes a good hedge and will grow in full sun or partial shade.  I has dense folage without having the creeping wood that gets a hedge out of bounds.  It can be controlled with pruning and mowing but requires little work.  It bears very small white flowers.

While it is considered invasive, it is still used for hedges.

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1070.htm

thurlow

Have you considered multi-flora rose?  Wouldn't plant it meself, but it's the ultimate privacy plant.........barrier to anything larger than a rabbit...............
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Dan_Shade

actually, i was considering planting multiflora rose, simply to keep the neighbors kids out of my woods!

hah, but no, i don't want that crap

Stephen_Wiley

Not a recommendation but a suggestion as I am not familar with your neck of the woods:

Osmanthus spp.
Yew or Hemlock -

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

getoverit

I'm with Tom on this one.... Legustrum is an EXCELLENT hedge, will grow to around 12 feet in height, you cant see through it, and is easy to root. Buy yourself a couple of plants, then as the year goes along, cut some cuttings off of it, dip it in root hormone, and stick them in the dirt. They root REAL easy and before you know it you will have a bunch of it.

The flowers are really fragrant, and if you have enough if it, it will really make your place smell nice in the spring. I know it will grow at over 3000 ft elevation in the NC mountains, so I'm fairly confident that it will also grow in Maryland. Heck, I dont know how long it would last , but I could overnight you enough to get you started if you cant find it locally.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

mike_van

Up here in Ct. Dan, the deer will eat everything, and I mean everything within 5' of the ground. Only exception i've found is the spruce, just too spiney for them.  Ceder, holly, juniper, hemlock, and especially arborvitae. I put a row of those in 25+ years ago, what a waste of money - what the deer didn't eat, the wet snows bend down to the ground.  I've been cutting a few out every year & replanting spruce.  Try to eat that you s.o.b.'s. 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

SwampDonkey

Mike, I hope you don't have a surplus of snow shoe hare. Nible, Nible Nible. They love spruce. :D

Sanford

I have been transplanting small [10-12 inch] eastern red cedars from my own property to form a hedgerow like you have discussed. So far all have made it by transplanting with a good rootball in place. My question is what kind of fertilizer would you recommend to maybe speed up the growth without shocking them. I was thinking something like 10-10- 10 or maybe hollytone like you use for azaleas. I have already started to thin out the over crowded pines that make up the woods around the edges of the property to get them more sunlight. Any suggestions??
Time and money will fix most anything, but I never have both at the same time!!!

SwampDonkey

Go easy on the fertilizer, but a handful of triple 10 would suffice for a 20 foot tall tree applied on the edge of the dripline. Any more than that is a waste, especially with NO3 leaching in rainfall through soil water and run-off.

Sanford

Thanks for the reply SwampDonkey! I am a new guy on the forum that has a lot of respect for the people  that do this for a living. Hands on experience is always the best. Sometimes the "experts" that offer you advise without you asking for it cause more harm than good.
Time and money will fix most anything, but I never have both at the same time!!!

SwampDonkey

Full sun and optimum growing space is what millions of acres of plantations and pre-commercial thinnings are getting. We have to ballance the sun and space to ensure decent quality also. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!