iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ya know dinner's good when...

Started by asy, February 04, 2006, 04:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asy

It takes TWO PLATES per person to get it to the table...

Here's an overview of a table for 3 ppl (Brother-in-law Greg was over for dinner).

Here's just my dinner:

Pork hocks, with a side of smashed potatoes (that's mashed potato, with milk and butter in it, but cooked in the skin... yum), corn and broccoli.

Close up of the hocks:

these were cooked with a glaze of Sweet soy sauce, honey, paprika, garlic and herbs. And it was just delicious, all fally-aparty and sweeeeeet. the crackling cracked, and it was amazing.

Here's what was left over...

Here's andy after eating. I think he's lifting his arms up to make more room...

Oh, and in the jug was an butterscotch orange sauce for the meat. It was made from brown sugar and butter, all butterscotched up, then the juice of 2 oranges, and another orange chopped up. All reduced together on the stove, with just a splash of cointreau added. OOOOH WOW it was good.

So, Buck, Whaddayarekon? Can I use your oven if'n I come visit?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

MULE_MAN

Whoa !!! Now that's allot of food !!!!   :o  And I thought I was a big eater,
I think you got me beat, But it sure does look good !! smiley_biggrin01
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

woodbowl

Quote from: asy on February 04, 2006, 04:26:00 AM

Pork hocks, with a side of smashed potatoes (that's mashed potato, with milk and butter in it, but cooked in the skin... yum), corn and broccoli.

Asy, are you sure your not from the south east US?  :D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

sawguy21

I would say Andy has it pretty DanG good. WOW. Anybody ready to charter a flight to Brisbane? :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

asy

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 04, 2006, 09:35:46 AM
I would say Andy has it pretty DanG good. WOW. Anybody ready to charter a flight to Brisbane? :D :D :D

You come visit, and I'll promise to have that EXACT meal waiting for you the first evening in.

and I ALWAYS keep my promises.

Tom

Pork Hocks!   That's some "down home" Cookin'.  

We eat'em smoked and used for flavorin' a lot here.  Boil some smoked ham hocks till the bone is almost soft and then dump some rice in the pot.  Mmmm.  Makes really good flavored  rice with meat in it to serve with with the collard greens or turnip greens.  Ya gotta throw in a smoked pig knuckle with that too.

I never have had that butterscotch sauce stuff.   with brown sugar in it, it must be good.   "How sweet it is....!".

UNCLEBUCK

Oh asy I will take a picture of your new stove when it gets here this week and if you and andy ever make it this way why we going to have us a good feed while we watch crocodile dundee on the tube .  ;D  yum yum yum !  asy the chef  8)  I will fix you and andy  a norwegian delicacy called  spamollette or spamdu fromage or spam in a blanket . Take your pick  :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

asy

Quote from: UNCLEBUCK on February 05, 2006, 01:59:40 AM
Oh asy I will take a picture of your new stove when it gets here this week and if you and andy ever make it this way why we going to have us a good feed while we watch crocodile dundee on the tube .  ;D  yum yum yum !  asy the chef  8)  I will fix you and andy  a norwegian delicacy called  spamollette or spamdu fromage or spam in a blanket . Take your pick  :D

You betcha brass booties!

Have a piggy standing by!

Talk andy into it for me, willya?

etat

QuoteQuote from: asy on February 04, 2006, 03:26:00 AM

QuoteAsy, are you sure your not from the south east US? 

AGREED!  that gal has GOT to have some southern blood in her somewhere, well except for the fact that I didn't see no cornbread!    :D :D

Anyways,  no dang wonder Andy puts up with ya!!!!!!!!    :D :D :D

Heck Asy, you got my mouth WATERING!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

asy

Quote from: ctate on February 06, 2006, 04:18:02 PM

We were waiting for you to bring the Corn Bread....   Never showed up, we had to go on without it :(

And yeah, I suspect my cooking is why andy puts up with me...  :D

How's the oven photos going, Buck???

Don P

I've always wanted to visit that part of the world, I can almost understand what folks from down there are saying. Lookin better all the time, y'all down under DO live in houses and eat right too.

Just last night I was reading a 5 pager Dad sent at Michelle's request titled "Hog killing time" about his boyhood rememberances of that event back before freezers. Sounded really rough, they worked DanG hard and then pigged out, pigs knuckles, freshies, liver and lights stew with generous portions of collards, cracklin bread and catheads on the side. After that light lunch it was time to do the chitlin's and lard rendering then over to the neighbors a few days later to pay them back for the swapped labor by doing it all over again.

etat

A few years or so ago back I bought me a couple of hogs and fed em out until they got huge.  Got the kids involved and a couple of neighbors and we killed em, and dressed em out and boiled em and scraped em.  We cut em up and boiled out the lard in a big ole cast iron pot that was my great granddaddy's.  We also ground and seasoned the sausages and sugar cured the hams and the middling and the jowls.  We even hung and cured the sausages.  (didn't mess with the chitin's though).  Now them cracklings, they'd make a person eat enough of em to get a bellyache for sure.  It was a good day and I'm sure the kids, or I, will never forget it.  Truthfully I'd like to do it again sometimes. 
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Lori

Quote from: ctate on February 06, 2006, 06:25:12 PM
A few years or so ago back I bought me a couple of hogs and fed em out until they got huge.  Got the kids involved and a couple of neighbors and we killed em, and dressed em out and boiled em and scraped em.  We cut em up and boiled out the lard in a big ole cast iron pot that was my great granddaddy's.  We also ground and seasoned the sausages and sugar cured the hams and the middling and the jowls.  We even hung and cured the sausages.  

hey C..........didn't anyone ever tell you meats supposed to come wrapped in plastic? Sounds like an awful lot of work when theres a supermarket right down the road,why,  everythings ready and wrapped up real pretty with stickers on it and everything!............. ;) :D
We dont quit laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit laughing...

etat

Lori, you KNOW i've been trying to explain to you where real meat comes from.......... :D :D :D

Lori

Quote from: ctate on February 06, 2006, 08:51:29 PM
Lori, you KNOW i've been trying to explain to you where real meat comes from.......... :D :D :D

Funny............didn't hear any complaints about my roast pork dinner........or those porterhouse steaks......or the chicken parmesan............................not one word about it not being real meat.................
not  on your first helping...........or your second! ;D
We dont quit laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit laughing...

etat

well you done it now....... :D

mumbles to himself (dang stubborney city raised northern yankee women) 

Gotta admit though, it was some GOOD eating!   8) 8) 8)

Lori

Quote from: ctate on February 06, 2006, 09:07:13 PM

mumbles to himself (dang stubborney city raised northern yankee women) 

And DanG proud of it!!!!!!!!

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D :D Methinks you have that southern boy's number for sure. C, you don't stand a chance. :D :D :D

etat

nah, she's gonna fly down here  for five days around the end of this month and well, then I'll have HER in MY territory and I'm definately gonna  be teaching  her a few things about southern culture........ :) 

and.....I'm gonna wear my hat in my house if I want to........... :D :D :D

asy

Quote from: ctate on February 07, 2006, 12:04:41 AM
nah, she's gonna fly down here  for five days around the end of this month and well, then I'll have HER in MY territory and I'm definately gonna  be teaching  her a few things about southern culture........ :)

Oooh! Where ya gonna get the piggie from? Are ya gonna spend those 5 days showing her where real meat comes from???

Only if Lori lets ya!

Lori

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 06, 2006, 11:09:42 PM
:D :D :D :D :D Methinks you have that southern boy's number for sure. C, you don't stand a chance. :D :D :D

They say the way to a mans heart is through his stomach and I dont think the Mason-Dixon line changes that fact one bit!

That's true......I'm coming but I warn you, I'm bringing my northern ways with me..............and I might let you wear your hat, if you promise that we can skip the lesson on where 'real meat' comes from!

Quote from: asy on February 07, 2006, 02:52:13 AM

Only if Lori lets ya!

I bet we can negotiate a trade!

etat

I 'might' stand a better chance than ya think.............. :)

Lori

Thats a good way to look at it C...........you go with that...........     ;)

sawguy21

WooHoo, game on :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

asy

hehehe... 

come on roy, you come over here and sit by me.

We'll watch. And maybe run a book...  hehe

Lori

smart money is always on the women..........we have wiles you know! ;) :) :) :)

Thank You Sponsors!