iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rusty saw blades

Started by JPM, February 03, 2006, 08:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPM

hi guys  i'm new on this board  but have been reading this this forum for over a year .I seem to remember
a post on rusty blades but seaching did not show it. So the question is , i have blades that have sat in the box  they came in but have got very very wet  and have rust in spots that is  heavy . Any ideas on removing it  thanks  J

IL Bull

I would run them on a saw with plenty of lube.  You may have to sharpen first,  but I would give them a try.
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

mike_van

The inside that runs against the wheels, I would wire brush, then run 'em. 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

WkndCutter

You can clean them up with a wire brush and some WD40.  I also use WD40 on the blades during storage.  Stuff works great and is easy to clean up.

Andy

FiremanEd

step 1: put one on the mill
step 2: load a log
step 3: make boards.  ;D  ;D

the "rusty surface" could be described as "increased blade/wheel traction", but it'll be gone by the end of the 1st log.

I'm sorry,,, the ***** *** kicked in....   but the above will work just fine.

Eddie
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Tom

I agree.

Run those suckers.   They will be bright and shiny in just a little bit.  :)

chet

JPM,
Tom knows all about dem rusty saw blades, just look at da picture of his truck today.  ;D

Sorry Tom couldn't resist.  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

jpgreen

Eeew..........  :D

I thought the blades I have out here looked bad..  ;D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Jeff

As far as I am concerned, Tom is about as authorative as you can get when it comes to making a bandmill cut.  One of his earliest tips to me was "quit trying to be so anal".   I'm just a rookie but saw good lumber thanks to Mr. Tom.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jpgreen

Soon as I get my mill done, so I can actually saw a log  :D , I need to go through all the rusty blades that came with it.

I don't know what I'm looking at yet, but it looks like many are still good... I think.  ??? :o

Dan_Shade

I have to agree with Jeff, i lucked into finding a bunch of tom's posts on sawing when I first got my saw, his methods make great sense, but I hadn't thought of them.  I'd have been just sawing up logs into little pieces rather than sawing lumber.

do a search on tom's posts, and he'll cut your learning curve by about 75% (that estimate is from an amature that still has a lot to learn).

i never worry about a rusty band, just don't cut yourself with it.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

iain

Chet you beat me to it dang you >:(

so i'll carry on as follows

Chet there aint no need to diss Tom like that, espec when you seem to know so little about blades your self,

its a bad sawyer that dont recognise OFBB's when you see em

iain

jpgreen

What's OFBB's  ???

Sumptin' tells me Tom can take care of any flack that be comin' his way..  :D

iain

Orignal Froridiean Brown Bands

iain

chet

I owe Tom a couple.  ;)  One time he burned me up,  :o 

Then another time he started da Chet joke thread.   ::) 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Tom

iain

It aint that funny Tomster, them OFBB's dont know where home is, they get every where, i even got a few of them here, maybe one day i'll post them back to you, but not untill they tell me how they got here >:(

iain

jpgreen

They reproduce then migrate?...  :o :o :o....................................... :D

JPM

they have  made it all the way to vt  ;D

ely

before i had a sharpener or an idea i would even have one. i threw all my dull blades on a truck bed for storage. one was even bent somehow ::) when i finally got my sharpener set up i thought i wonder if i can fix those i messed up. i had to put them on the mill and run them through a scrap log to clean them up but afterwords i put them all back into service.

Thank You Sponsors!