iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Different kinds of logs??

Started by patricia, February 02, 2006, 01:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patricia

Hi everybody. I'm a teacher of English working for a company of engineers. I've been asked how to say the name of a piece of wood once cut from the trees. They tell me it's not a log, that it is smaller. I wonder if someone could give me advice on this. I mean, if there is anyone who has the spare time to inform a "desperate" Spanish teacher of English. Thanks a lot.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.
Its a 'tree', if still standing. When felled and on the ground, 'logs' are cut from the tree. The logs are different lengths and different diameters.  Some times short sections are removed and referred to as 'bolts'. Maybe a 'veneer bolt' if going to a veneer mill, or a 'stave bolt' if going to a stave operation (when they made wood barrels).  There are a few other names too, but most of the time 'log' means a section of a tree after it is felled.

'Timber' is a name that can be confusing, as it refers to the stand of trees as in a forest. Also, when a log is sawn to a large size, it can be a four-sided 'timber', sometimes called a 'cant'.

There is a glossary at the back of the Wood Handbook seen here at
Wood as an Engineering Material
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Faron

This is just  a guess, and not knowing the details, maybe a foolish one.  Are you looking for "board"?  A "board" would be a piece of wood once it is sawed on all four edges.  "Lumber" would be more than one board, as in a stack of lumber.  A "cant" would be a log sawed flat on four sides, ready for further processing.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

sprucebunny

A piece of wood sawed to standard dimensions such as 2x4 or 2x6 are sometimes called 'studs' in the building trades.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

ely

firewood if you burn it in a stove or fireplace.

thecfarm

Patricia,welcome to the forum.Confused yet?The english language can be a hard one to understand.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

patricia

I really appreciate the quickest answers i got in my life! It's been a pleasure getting around here. Thanks ever so much to everybody. You've been of great help, thanks again.

IL Bull

How about slab?  That is the piece that still has the bark on one side and flat on the other.  Can be the first piece off the saw log but there are usually four of them per log.
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

OLD_ JD

canadien forest ranger

Thank You Sponsors!