iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Transplanting Black Cherry Tree's

Started by Treasures, March 01, 2006, 05:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treasures

Hi Folks, I have about 30 small Cherry Trees, around 1/4-3/8" in dia. These trees are about 1-1/2 - 2-1/2 feet tall. I marked them last fall and want to transplant in a better location on the other side of my property. I have not transplanted Cherry before. I would like to know is this a shallow rooted tree or is the taproot going to the center of the Earth, like Hickory. Thanks in advance for the help. Tim... :-\
Small Alaskan Mill, 310 Stihl, Solar kiln,and small 1 man cabinet shop.

SwampDonkey

I think a tree that size would have a root system similar to sugar maple. They don't have a deep tap root like oaks. I was actually thinking of transplanting a 1/2 dozen on the woodlot myself. I have a whole bunch of red and scarlet oaks that have to be transplanted as well.  I'm hoping they will take an a site that stays moist during the growing season, where there is also alot of humous. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dana

I transplanted some 2' sweet cherry last fall with no deep tap root. They all look to be in good condition. The same day I hand dug around a 3 foot Black Walnut to get a good root ball. Scooped it up with the tractor only to find that I had not much more than a broken tap root and a few fine roots. No dirt stayed on the roots. I planted it but don't have much hope for it's recovery. We will see this summer.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Treasures

Thanks for the fast replies. I also have some White ash trees about 4-6" in dia. that are only about 2-3' apart. What distance should I thin these out to.The area that they are in is about a 25'x10' rectangle. They self pruned and are about 20' tall. Thanks once again to everyone in advance.                   Tim. :)

jon12345

Instead of creating a certain spacing, you might want to remove trees with defect first and see where that leaves you.  Another thing to remember is trees on the edge if it is near a lawn or field will have more branches on one side and should probably be pruned to help balance them out.   

I have a stand similar to yours, I don't have exact measurements but they are all growing pretty close together so it is like NY Chainsaw Massacre out there :D  mine all range from about 1-12"  some are 6" away from one another, others are 6-7' apart.  Only ones I let stay are ones with good form and are healthy regardless of spacing. 
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SwampDonkey

We space hardwood about 6-7 as long as they are at least 15 feet and no more than 30 feet. Hardwood in the upper limit (20 + feet) should be left tight at 6 feet if the stem is under 4 inches. If the stems are real skinny, just do a  crown release of your best crop trees. Otherwise, the tip of the tree is going to do the toe touch in heavy wind, ice or wet snow.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Treasures

There is a wealth of knowledge here that I can easily obtain. I love this site 8). I will cull the poorly formed trees first. Then I will try to keep a 6-7 foot spacing as swampdonkey suggested. Thanks,Tim.

Thank You Sponsors!