iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwegian Door Lock for under 3.95$ each

Started by UNCLEBUCK, February 01, 2006, 01:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

Cant believe how much interior door accessories cost so I bought 20$ worth of home depot 1x3's and a pound of screws and went back to my shack and 5 hours later I mass produced all the handles and hardware for all my homemade doors . Its about as simple as one can get and its easily replaceable  :D

The doors costed 65$ each for the t&g knotty pine

Always trying to beat the system and save $$$

UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

asy

Wow Buck!

Looks fantastic!

DanG good thing I'm not in the USofA, or I'd have moved in with ya by now. The house is AMAZING!

One small point with respect to the door locks, they look like they can only be locked from the inside of a room, but can't be overriden from the outside? Is that right?

What happens if someone inside the room has an accident or a fall and is incapacitated and can't get to the door? Do you have lift-off hinges???

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

UNCLEBUCK

Then they have to stay in their room or until I can find the chainsaw  8) I better remove the locks  :D :D :D

asy

Quote from: UNCLEBUCK on February 01, 2006, 01:42:43 AM
Then they have to stay in their room or until I can find the chainsaw  8) I better remove the locks  :D :D :D

danG, don't remove them!!! they are far too cool!!!

UNCLEBUCK

Shacks almost done asy , I ordered all the appliances last week even a dishwasher just for you ! ;D  I will only remove the locks if some polish person is staying in that room !  :D :D

WH_Conley

Put a latch string on them, might not lock real good but they would stay shut.
Bill

asy

Quote from: UNCLEBUCK on February 01, 2006, 01:49:03 AM
Shacks almost done asy , I ordered all the appliances last week even a dishwasher just for you ! ;D  I will only remove the locks if some polish person is staying in that room !  :D :D

WOOHOO! am ON THE WAY!!!

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D :D :D Those doors look great. Knotty pine used to be considered waste wood here.  Sure not cheap any more.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Norm

Those turned out great UB! Patty and I were at one of the box stores here over the weekend looking at their interior and exterior doors. Wow are they ever expensive, no wonder we bought the el cheapos until Patty gets set up to make our own.

moosehunter

UB,
How 'bout a slot in the door with a dowel going thru the slot into the Latch? That way you could use it from both sides.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

asy

Quote from: moosehunter on February 01, 2006, 07:22:48 AM
UB,
How 'bout a slot in the door with a dowel going thru the slot into the Latch? That way you could use it from both sides.
mh

I was thinking just that, only I was gonna use the word 'pin' not 'dowel' but I'd started writing it.. hehe

rebocardo

Hey, that looks great.
I bet in a narrow hallway you would have a tough time kicking that door in.

Frankly, I am surprised you were able to find wood that nice at Home Depot. I wanted pressure treated wood for a trailer I am building and I gave up and just grabbed 5/4 p.t. decking because the pressure treated 2x lumber was so lousy. This way I only got 1/2 the defects because the wood was only 1/2 as thick   :D

One thing I do when remodeling a house is save the thrown away door locks as long as I can get a key. Then I bring them to Home Depot and have them rekeyed for my house for $5.

Patty

Lookin' good Buck!  8) 

Today Norm stacked the wood for our next door into the new shop. WoooHooo!   He cut a nice maple tree a few weeks ago and the wood is really beautiful. Just have to wait for it to dry out a bit before I can get started on it. It is all spalted with these really cool black veins running through it, I think it will make a really neat door for our master bedroom.

The door handles and such are SO expensive  :o. I really like what you did to remedy the situation Buck, pretty ingenious there! Ever since I was a very  little girl I always admired the door knobs at my aunt's house, I thought they were so cool and they felt good in my little hands.  ::) I found just these same knobs online and had to have them for my doors. Bladwin sells them. Anywhooooo.. Last year my mom sent me some cash for Christmas and then asked me what my plans were for it, she was not expecting to hear that I was buying the knobs for my doors!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

UNCLEBUCK

Thanks everybody , I was just stoopified adding up the cost for hinges and hardware and all the other miscellaneous so I found the big cast hinges in my dads private stash that he saved from gutting a building at the U OF M in the cities , he said they cost 150$ a piece so I got them free because I am bigger than he is  ;D  I changed the locks today and cut longer ones and put a peg in to slide with . Hopefully they will save my life someday if I need to run and hide and hear the fryin pans bouncing off in the hallway . Just thought it was so basic and cheap I had to show in case someone needs a quick idear ! I had to order this 2" t&g because all the lumberyards just had the green treated stuff for pole sheds . Nobody carried it in stock anywhere ! Well I guess I be done now and swept and mopped and waiting for appliances ,cheap name brand but new , looked at used and just couldnt go through with it . Thats a DanG good idea you got rebo for keeping the hardware . Patty you know the doors you will be making are about 2 grand each for used .  Doors by Patty , yes I can see that ! P&N Door Factory ! What you see here is so rough and simple but its the only way I know how . Thanks for the tip WH and moosehunter , its so wierd when I slide the lock I feel like I should be wearing a viking helmet !

Ianab

UB

Neat Job  :)

I must be from the same school  :D

I am re-decorating my kitchen and replacing the ugly purple cupboard doors with homemade solid wood ones that look similar to yours. Nice door handles for $10 each X 20 cupboards / drawer fronts  :o
I dont think so.  :D
This is the cupboards now, and a couple of the classy 70's vintage ones on the right. They are gone now, I'm sure you can see why.  For handles I routed a T shape out of a 2" x 1.5" board and cut it into 6" lenghts. A couple of coats of poly and a there is a stack of handles + $200 left in my pocket  ;)

I've still got to spring for magnet catches though  :(

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

UNCLEBUCK

That looks great Ian , boy I know exactly what youre sayin .  I got turned on to euro hinges and it has opened up a whole new world for me because I knew nothing about cabinet stuff a year ago , at home depot its 8 dollars for euro hinges and at www.grizzly.com its 1.98$ a pair for full lap or half lap .  I know you guys are like artists when you build stuff here so I like to see everyone chuckle when I toss my norwegian slop into the mix !  :D  What kind of a stain or sealer would you use on my doors ? I just want something so peanut butter and jelly sandwiches wont go stain the bare wood.  I got a ton of spar varnish in spray cans  ???

Ianab

QuoteWhat kind of a stain or sealer would you use on my doors ?

I'd go with normal polyurethane, light sand after the first coat or 2. The pine may look a bit more yellow after that, but if you use pine, let it look like pine  :D

Thats all I've finished the cypress with, it darkens a bit with time, but looks / feels good. Sharon had her kitchen profesionally finished with spray poly, it's very nice finish.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

brdmkr

I'll have to let my wife see those doors.  I think  they may be exactly what we are looking for.  Thanks for the post.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

iain

Nice doors and lock buckyboy 8)

Ian thems also looking good  8)

you boys must have brownie points to spare ::)

iain

asy

hmmmmmmmmmm  peanut butter and jam.......   yummmmmmmmm

Best eaten with mum's homemade apricot jam, by the way.

Oh, I discovered something.

Take a couple of pieces of thick wholegrain bread (preferably with poppyseed in the grain) and toast it.

Then cover thickly with Super Crunchy Peanut butter...

then...

Gently place a poached egg (with runny yolk) on top.

the eggie gets all peanutty, and it's just delicious.

Also poached egg and liverwurst is good, but now the woggy side of me is showing.

UNCLEBUCK

I got you a new stove too asy  ;D  cant wait for those prawns with maple syrup over them ,only trouble is around here all we got is "specks and taters" oh and toast !  :D

iain

Girl i aint to sure you are far enough away yet

iain :D

asy

Quote from: UNCLEBUCK on February 03, 2006, 02:28:08 AM
I got you a new stove too asy  ;D  cant wait for those prawns with maple syrup over them ,only trouble is around here all we got is "specks and taters" oh and toast !  :D

Ooooh!!!

I'm just about to do a post on what I cooked for dinner last night.

Have a look and tell me whether you think you could stand my cooking.

Thank You Sponsors!