iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who said you can never have enough stickers?

Started by Troy, January 31, 2006, 08:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

I remember now... all of you!  I figured I had enough stickers to last me through six months of milling.  Not even close!  They do get used up faster than you might think.  So I get home a little early with about an hour of daylight left and head out to where I have my mill set up.  I started up the tractor and while it was warming up got the mill uncovered and added water to the tank.  Started the mill up and let the engine heat up while I found a 15" x 8' red oak log in the pile and forked it over on to the bunks.  I got the whole thing cut into stickers just as the engine sputtered on the last drops of gas in the tank and daylight faded away.  Perfect timing!  It was just as much fun cutting up a pile of stickers as it is milling a load of boards! 
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Dan_Shade

the fun of sawing up stickers will fade!

i was the same way, and I really don't even saw that much.  I think I saw Chet post once that he sawed up 6 trees one year for stickers....

I've probably already sawn up 2 or so for stickers.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

jpgreen

We've got a big cabinet shop in town, and I can get all the stickers I want cut for free !  8)

BUT!~!!  I meet with a logger today Troy, that has his own Kenworth semi truck and a big grapple and a pile of logs at his place.

He's real excited about working with me and my Wood-Mizer, but then he has two 60"  diameter old growth Doug Firs in his yard that are absolutely beautiful!!

HOW in the heeck am I gonna mil those? Just right OFF the bat I need a Peterson..  ::)........... :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

TinMan

Troy

I have been rippin down and planing stickers at night these past few days, trying top get ready for the arrival of the new mill. I will use em up quick ;D

Tracy

chet

Quote from: Dan_Shade on January 31, 2006, 08:39:05 PM
I think I saw Chet post once that he sawed up 6 trees one year for stickers....

And I used um all up too.   :o
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

getoverit

Looks like I'm not the only one that is smelling sticker sawdust :D

I've turned a BUNCH of old 2 by's into stickers, and still have a good many to go. I know I have over 200 of them, but I'm guessing that this will be a fraction of what I need.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Minnesota_boy

Most of the time during sawing season, that many stickers (200) won't last 2 days.  If I'm doing hardwoods and put the extra support in that I should, it might not last a day.  :o ::)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Radar67

I've been sawing hardwood stickers for a guy a couple towns over, cept he calls them slat strips and uses them in a chicken house. He ordered 800 this month and as Dan said, sawing stickers gets old real quick.

I usually try to get stickers out of flitches, building my stock as I go (not building too fast though, seem to use more than I cut) :D I did figure out the best way to store them though, stacked on a pallet.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ohsoloco

Stickers are something I never seem to think about until I'm almost out  ::)  Luckily I've been getting a lot of pine and spruce lately that I didn't have much of a use for, so I would saw up some of the nice, clear logs for stickers (usually the oddball lengths or shorts).  Picked up some large spruce this past fall, and one of the butt logs had a lot of taper in it...so much that I didn't want to try and mill a 12 footer out of it, so I cut off the 4-1/2 foot piece that had most of the taper in it to mill sticks out of. 

I've also been stacking mine on a pallet (stickered, of course  :D ) for at least a few weeks.  I'm short on tin right now, so they go uncovered.  After a nice spell of dry weather I put them in my shed up in the trusses to keep em nice and dry until I need them. 

I have a few hundred of them, but they'll go quick when I'm cutting 12 foot lumber, so I should think about making some more before I need them  ;)

woodmills1

Tomatoe stakes are a lot like cutting stickers but they pay the bills. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Onthesauk

The fellows at the barbershop yesterday were talking about an old local fellow who use to cut stickers for the big mill in town, had piles of them in his front yard.  A ember jumped out of the fireplace, caught a throw rug on fire and when his wife threw the rug out the front door it landed right on the stickers.  Apparently tried hauling pots of water from the kitchen until it was out of control and then called the fire department.  Nearly burned the house down.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

DanG

Onthesauk, that reminds me of an old aviation axiom; "The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire." :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Radar67

Did someone say stickers? You can see how I spent my day.  ;D

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

stumpy

I have a hardwood mill near me and they have switched to 8 foot stickers. I bought about 300 of there old 4 ffot stickers for $50.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

highpockets

We have an old hardwood drying and planing operation that closed due to the owner not paying the bank the 2 million he owed.  A friend of mine bought the property and it has goobs of sticking sticks. I bought 1,000 for $ 100.00.  Now I have to go back and load them. 

I wish some of you guys lived closer as there are a lot of sticks here. 
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Coon

For those of you guys that custom saw do you supply the stickers to the customer?  If so how much do you charge?  What do you charge the customer for sawing stickers for him?  I am really wondering because I don't really feel that I am getting a fair deal when I go to a custom sawing job to saw lumber and I have to waste my time sawing stickers.  It just slows the whole operation down.
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

ohsoloco

I've never had anyone ask me to saw stickers for them, but if I did I would probably charge by the hour to do so.  If someone asks me if I have some, I will let them take all of the leftovers from edging if they want them. 

Kirk_Allen

I devoted my last two cottonwood logs to stickers and wouldnt you know it ???  Used every last one of them today stacking the spalted maple 8) 8) 8) 8)

Put up just over 1000 bf of if and I am now officialy out of room in the drying barn :o :o

If a customer wants stickers I encourage them to have me cut them out of the hearts of what ever I am cutting for them.  Depending on the size of the job I include the stickers.  Big job that needs lots of them I will add a fee of $10-20 bucks. 

I have not had any problem with the customers on this issue and several have even prefered I dont cut them out of their log and they say they will get some pine at the box store and make there own.  They dont want ANY of there log wasted ;D

jpgreen

Kirk-

What size do you cut your stickers and do you do it all on your WM?

sawguy21

I have been here awhile and all along, I thought stickers were decals stuck to yer lumber sos ya  could sell it. ::) Are they used as sleepers on the drying racks?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Minnesota_boy

:D  Sorry, just couldn't help myself.  Sleepers go on the ground under the pile.  Stickers go between the layers of wood to keep an open air channel to help with drying.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kirk_Allen

jpgreen,
I cut them on the WM.  When I get the heart boxed on any white, or light colored wood I cut 1 1/2" boards out of the heart (1 1/2 x 6", 7" etc). Then I flip the boards vertical and cut 3/4" down each pass.  End up with great stickers that are 1 1/2 wide and 3/4" thick   I probably could get by with less but the extra width makes the stacks of lumber LOOK good and appearence is everthing  ;D :D

flip

We lucked out.  My partner's brother was in charge of a kiln operation here in town that recently shut its doors.  We got kiln tracks and rollers, 2 racks of stickers 8' tall 6' wide 6' deep.  All for a bottle of Wild Turkey.  God I love finding deals like that :)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

jpgreen

Thanks Kirk... That's great.. smiley_beertoast

uh- may I ask how you dress whilst running your Wood-Mizer?...  :D

Thank You Sponsors!