iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carbide tipped saw chains

Started by Kevin Ginter, January 31, 2006, 03:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Ginter

I just picked up a new husky 575. With the mild winter we are having I am becoming frustrated with trying to cut through mud! It's hard to get a feel for it cause I can't keep it sharp! I was just looking for some thoughts about carbide tipped saw chains? Are they worth the cost, or just keep sharpening....      

Joseph

Yes, They are worth the cost.

I purchase mine direct from RAPCO Industries, they are the manfacture for most if not all carbide saw chain in the USA, they make the carbide chains for the STIHL Brand

Their URL is:

http://www.rapcoindustries.com

Regards

Joseph

"Equipment Should Never be an Excuse for Poor Performance. If You are Going to be a Professional, You Get the Correct Equipment, then the Only Excuse is Your Ability to Perform." ★ ℠ © ® ™

Kevin

Kevin, why can't you get the logs up off the ground or at least roll them with a cant hook or is the mud from skidding them?

slowzuki

I don't know anyone who uses carbide here except the firefighters for cutting into houses etc.  So no experience good or bad.

isassi

I use carbide teeth on my circle mill, why not on a chainsaw? The only issue I can see is getting it sharpened correctly, whick means you would probably want to do your own sharpening, since it will take a diamond wheel to do it. Just my 2 cents ;)

Ed

I found this at the Baileys web site.....

Cutting speed is significantly reduced when using this chain. Use a diamond grinding stone or wheel to sharpen. Please note that there is no warranty on this chain, and cutters will break and chip if impacted by hard objects.

Ed

crtreedude

We have a few trees here that you tend to have to use carbide on - nope, not the ones in the fence rows.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

OLD_ JD

Joseph How's about the rapco chain in hardwood  ???is it realy more slow ???I'm realy intereste to learn more about those chain,how often u have to fill it ???tel us more about it plz thank's :)
canadien forest ranger

Frickman

Once upon a time I had a hired hand who couldn't keep a saw out of the dirt, and couldn't file a chain. I got him a 3/8" pitch carbide chain. It cut slow, and the chain would grab and bounce, but it could saw dirt all day and not get dull. I took it in to the local saw shop once a week to be sharpened with a diamond wheel.

Some time after this employee left for greener pastures I used the chain to cut some air-dried locust fence posts. The hard, old wood knocked the carbide off half the cutters and the chain now adorns a wall.  :-[
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Kevin Ginter

Quote from: Kevin on January 31, 2006, 07:22:06 AM
Kevin, why can't you get the logs up off the ground or at least roll them with a cant hook or is the mud from skidding them?

I cut firewood, usually on the landing. Most of this winter the landings have been muddy and the gutters also aren't staying frozen.  After alot of research (thanks everyone;D), I have a carbide chain on order! I'll let ya know how things go! Thanks,  Kevin 

Blake22

I've got one on order from bailey's to saw stumps off ahead of my stump grinder. It sure would be nice to saw off 10-12 stumps vs 3-4 between sharpenings. But I'll have to see some proof for myself before I get too happy. There's some nasty stuff in a low stump cut.
Blake

Alta

Carbide is wonderful for stumps and very forgiving when you get too close to the dirt. Stays sharp and cuts fast enough with enough power behind it and proper sharpening. I have a diamond wheel for the purpose. I dont know how convenient it would be if I had to send it out for sharpening. There's a lot of different carbide chains avail but I think the best overall is the stihl Rapid Duro but at $20/foot  it adds up quick.

Thank You Sponsors!