iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quarter sawing my "joke's on me" log

Started by Kelvin, January 30, 2006, 08:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Howdy all,
Now that i figured out how to post some photos better do it a couple of times 'fore i forget.  Here is the inside of that oak log i got the other day.  There is quite a bit a junk in the center, but there is some nice figure in the rest of it.  Its sure is like finding buried treasure or panning for gold.  Sometimes you open it up and find something, other times its just junk.  THis is the best part of milling for me.  Trying to make every piece superior figure just like this.  Kinda makes me think of a jeweler chipping out a diamond from the rough.  Nature put it all in there, and if you're careful you can make the beauty show.  Its the most rewarding type of sawing.  Lots of thinking in 3-D.

getoverit

Beautiful grain in the wood Kelvin !

Keep the pics rolling, I'm enjoying every bit of this :)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

woodbowl

That is some nice ray flecks Kelvin. Did you saw all the way down or turn the cant on every other board? I'm finding out that there are several ways to quarter saw that I haven't tried yet.  ???
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Kelvin

The only market that i've found is for real nice figure, so i waste a lot of wood making sure every piece is perfect.  I saw until the figure starts looking unacceptable and change the angle.  I usually only have to do this once, but instead of 25% real good, 25% okay, and 50% rift, we get more like 80-90% real good figure.  I figure the board foot sales price of prime figure makes up for any loss in the rift sawn possiblities.  I can't sell the rift.

Thank You Sponsors!