iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PTO Portable sawmills

Started by ironmule2004, January 29, 2006, 11:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironmule2004

Anyone know of any PTO powered sawmills or plans for one that will run off of a tractor?  I assume that the saw will need to be fixed w/ the log traveling on a carriage.  I have 2 70hp tractors 1 of which needs some extra exercise.  I hate to mess with an engine on something if I don't have too.

IronMule

Dan_Shade

some circle saws are setup that way, the one my grandfather had, a frick, is still used by my uncles running it off of a PTO.

portability isn't too good with a circle saw, though.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Coon

My neighbour has one that used to be portable.  The mill frame is made out of wood and has a stell track and carriage.  Other than that the only other steel on the mill is the roller drum for the cable and the PTO system and hydraulic valve for advancing the carriage.  The mill was originally built and set down on big timbers for sawing.  To move it you simply jacked it off of the timbers and rolled the axle under the mill to a specific location.  Then all you had to do was use a couple of chains and load binders so the axle didn't move when you pulled it.  Sounds easier than it actually is tho. 
  The mill is now in its finall resting place.  It's old and in need of some major rebuilding.  We have had to replace on of the major beams this past summer along with a whole bunch of other little things.  Got it cutting fairly good now but shut it down for the winter as it needs a set of new teeth and the new location constantly blows in with snow from the northeast in which our prevailing winds are from.
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

BBK

Try looking  at the mills in this link. There is a page full of the smaller PTO Mills. Most are or can be made portable.

http://www.sawmill-exchange.com/
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

Bibbyman

TimberKing made them for years but quit in1998.  They built the Belsaw.  Ass BBK noted,  a lot of them can be found on the Sawmill exchang.

About TimberKing
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

isassi

Go on E-bay and search "sawmill" and you will find one right now...asking first bid $1000, no takers.

slowzuki

Karasaw I think is the name of a european one, it has been talked about before on here.  High production type machine and portable.  All kinds of feed options for it.

jerry-m

joasis,

Can you give the item number for the pto sawmill on e bay, I looked and can't find it ???

Thanks, Jerry
Jerry

thurlow

There was one sitting in the weeds about 20 miles from me a couple of years ago.  Home-made with axle from a big truck under it, though the tires were toast.  Tracks were some really "serious" I-beams.  Had a 52 inch blade, as I recall.  Was set up for (absent) dedicated power unit, but probably could be changed over to PTO power pretty easily.  Was about 45 ft long and was portable, but I think you'd have to have something better than a half-ton pickup to move it.  I looked at it and was intrigued, because it would saw a much longer log than my M-14.  He'd been offered $500 from somebody who was gonna salvage it for the metal, but he didn't want to see it cut up.  It's about 60 miles North of Memphis;  don't know if it's still there, but I can check, if you're interested................
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

isassi

Item #7584491550 or search "saw mill" and...there is only 13 hours remaining in the auction, and it is in Hilton, NY. If that doesn't work, try the sawmillexchange.com and call Brian..a really nice guy, and he can steer you to a few mills, 2000 to 3000 range..or heck, I will sell you mine so I can buy a bandmill.... :D   Good luck.

jerry-m

This is Weird,    I typed in the ebay number to the circle mill and found it, but when I type in sawmill on ebay site it Does Not Come UP...

Anyway was just curious ;D

Thanks joasis for your time...  I have a foly belsaw and just insterested for possiable parts...
Jerry

Swede

http://www.kara.fi/eng/

Here is one. 70 Hp isn´t much, people I´ve talked to use 125-150 Hp tractors.

here is another;

http://www.laimet.fi/eng/main.html

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Thank You Sponsors!