iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

can anybody help ???

Started by timberjack240, January 29, 2006, 07:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack240

i gotta do a research report on the history of loggin equipment. things like old saws and axes and the machinery and how it progressed. im havin a little trouble findin sites that have how it progressed so if anybody could help me out with some sites it wood be GREATLY apprieciated

sprucebunny

Vanatta Brothers Loggging has a bit of history and right here, on the Forestry Forum, is a thread of historical photos but I can't find it...maybe someone smarter will help ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

David_c

Like Sprucebunny said www.vannattabros.com is a wealth of info. But it mostly relates to westcoast logging. Google history logging or skidder there are many places with history. I have come across many differant sites. Try differant searches.

Coon

You could also probably talk to Jeff about some of those old drag saws and all of the other saws that he collects.  I am sure that Jeff would tell you a little about them, cuz you know how proud he is of owning them. :o ;D.  I would be too.  Hope this helps you out a bit.
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

hosslog

Patten Lumberman's  Museum
Patten Maine

Jeff

Most of the progression was pretty logical based on developing Technology. I would imagine if you were given photos of 25 different logging tools, you could pretty easily put them in sequential order. Some areas of course had different technology then others.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I would buy this book
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4607406458

I think I have bought a copy for all of the admins. You can get them for a few dollars but they are an amazing book, and it will be a primary reference for the type of information you need to gather.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Oregon Engineer

I was doing some recent searching for history on mechanized logging equipment and found this timeline on equipment, storms, logging equipment companies.

The timeline is soooooo big I had to print it on a 44" long drawing but you will be able to read the file and glean out the important facts.

http://www.panelworldmag.com/vserver/hb/items/timeline.pdf

leweee

Great pdf. Oregon Engineer 8) Thanks for sharing  ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Ron Scott

A good read  with many photos on the Evolution of Logging Machinery is the book; Tracks in the Forest by Ken Drushka and Hannu Konttinen.

The book was published by Timberjack in 1997 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Timberjack.
~Ron

timberjack240

thanks a lot guys i knew about vanatta bros i use them quite often  ;D actually i did sum thinkin today and i still have a similar report  8) so i m gonn a get that to help as well well back to the books  :P
again thanks a lot

RoadKill

Check out the February issue of Smithsonian magazine - they have an article about logging in your neck of the woods about a hundred years ago and some great old pictures of logging camps and trains.
Yah, born in da UP, but 20 yeahs heah neah Baahstin.

Thank You Sponsors!