iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who had 10 pak blades?

Started by Hbarker, January 29, 2006, 06:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hbarker

some where i saw a site that had 10 pak of band blades for 135.00
I  Must have been dreaming ::) . most seem to be  25 bux and up .
need 13.6  1 1/2 blades. for a 10 hp home made bandsaw mill

Tom

Welcome to the forum, Hbarker.   

I don't know where you saw that advertisement but blades are sold by several of our sponsors

Woodmizer created kind of a defacto standard years ago when their mills all used 13'2" blades.  It looks like a fellow could do real well when building a homebuilt if he paid attention to some of these little items.  There have been some more standards created in passing years by other manufacurers.  I'm sure that a blade length ordered in one of these sizes would be cheaper than something "off of the wall".   

Start with Menominee, over here on the left, and then enquire with the other manufacturer's sites.  They are all live links.   I found that mileage means a lot when ordering blades. UPS shipping can eat up all of your savings if you order form too far away. :)

MartyParsons

Hbarker,  Wood-Mizer has Double Hard blades that you can order custom length, If you are pricing we also have the Silver Tip blade. The Silver Tip blade has a softer Body than the Double Hard, same harden tip but the induction harding does not go as deep.
I assume you are using a combustion engine and not electric. .045 thick blade 1 1/4 wide 170" length would be $21.80 boxed price $ 22.89 if you purchase in units 10 or 15 blades ( Each) .This is Double Hard blade
.042 thick blade 1 1/4 wide 170" length  Silver Tip would be $16.73 Boxed 10 or 15 units  $ 17.57 Units or Each the same blade using Double Hard $20.07 and $21.07 each
The .042 blade is available in the 10 Degree tooth angle and the .045 is available with 4, 9, 10 degree angles ( Lower tooth angle denser wood)
Marty PA Wood-Mizer
Call Janet Myers at Indy for more Info.
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Hbarker

Great , Thanks for the fast replies, ;D

I have been reading and enjoying your forum for few months , waited till got my mill and cut a few boards to start posting, Great site fellas !!!

My mill is home made, allthough not by me, bought from a guy in antlers OK. ol fella makes and sells , said his brother makes the same one in  Alaska,
this was only one i could find had solid 2x6 20 foot track, mill has a 1.5 inch blade now should i only be runnin 1.25 ?

not sure if this should go on diff topic >> but wondered if yall ever seen a bandmill with the belt directly around the tire,, ?? instead of pully and shaft. this has good clutch,, belt around it and then strait around the iner most dip in the tread on the tire,, seems simple and works good.

Tom

That design with the belt around the pulley and used as a blade tire is fairly common on the smaller mills.

As far as whether you should be using 1 1/4 blades.   It seems to me that 1 1/2 is a lot of over kill for a small mill like that.   A lot of the choice of blade sizes comes from the width of the wheel that they ride upon.  Your manufacturer may have chosen that wide blade for a reason.  You might not need that wide of a blade but you'll have to test a narrower one to be sure.

FeltzE

I get my blades from a lennox dealer in charolette Nc for around $18.00 each boxes of 10 or more 1 1/2 inch woodmaster C's  13'2"

Eric

Thank You Sponsors!