iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Research Opportunities in Forestry

Started by BlaBla, January 29, 2006, 06:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlaBla

As many of you have probably witnessed by now, I'm looking into going to school to study forestry. As of now, I see myself liking a job most in the research side.

For the past few months, I've been under the impression that most research jobs exist in government or university jobs. Then, I was looking through a school's website and noticed that a private firm was hiring foresters for research purposes. How common is this? Are there research jobs available in the private sector?

And, what are the most rewarding jobs of the forestry career?

Ron Wenrich

Really big companies may have some research positions.  The small companies don't really have the cash to do research.  Usually, the private sector hires universities to do the research, through the use of grants.

Most rewarding job?  Depends on the individual.  Are you talking money or self satisfaction?  Many people find any job that is well done as being satisfying. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

beenthere

BlaBla
Good grades, and continued education are probably a key to those research positions. Getting a bachelor degree in something first, then into a masters program with some research connected, and then a doctorate program with research that supports the major professors' program. All this will get you published and likely noticed in the research arena, and from that possibly a research position if the need for continuing research is needed. Large companies like Weyerhausuer have research staffs, however when times are tough these people may be the first to be shown the door. Also, the Universities and Federal Gov't are potential places as well, but sometimes research funds are hard to come by, and the most important thing one does is learn to write grant applications that bring in money.
Along the way, there are likely jumping-off places where you can launch into a career that may not be research oriented.   There are professional (Society of American Foresters and Forest Products Society) and scientific societies (Soc. of Wood Science and Technology) that you can join that will give you exposure to others doing the type of work you can be interested in doing. A forestry education seems to be very broad (engineering, biology, geology, botany, zoology, math, statistics, economics, etc.) so you are almost qualified to be in a wide variety of jobs (maybe master of none, as the tool thread mentioned) but there will be numerous directions to go. Unlike majoring in just one of the mentioned fields. 
Main thing, is get started and study hard to keep high grades, which is an indication that you are learning a lot.  Good luck to you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dewwood

BlaBla,

Several good things mentioned above.  beenthere has put down a pretty good timeline of how to proceed through the educational process.  Some consider an undergraduate degree in a broader field such as biology to give them back up education if there are no forestry jobs avaiable when they enter the job market.  That also leaves your post graduate work to be done in your field of interest.  If you have the grades and some good recommendations there are assistantships available at most schools which will help with the cost your post graduate education.  Start by researching schools that have good programs and are well respected.  Put a plan in place and work toward that goal.  Apply to several of the schools that have good programs in your field and keep working on your plan and soon you will be looking at grad schools and then into the job market.

Best of luck,
Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

SwampDonkey

When bugboy ever gets moved and situated out there in Idaho he can answer this question. Leave him an IM, it may lie dormant for awhile until he gets settled out there.  I think the big move is today. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!