iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jokes on me on big white oak log i fetched the other day!

Started by Kelvin, January 29, 2006, 03:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Here's a photo of a log i picked up.  Funny story.  A friend of mine had told me about a couple of logs that "were too split up to be any good" that someone had offered to give him/me.  Well i had forgot about this when another friend said he found a guy that had a log too big to saw and would sell to me.  So i met the guy and offered him $100, which he thought was okay for 400 bd ft white oak.  Turns out my first friend saw the log and said "hey where did you get that from?"  I told him and he laughs and said i could have gotten the butt log to that, and another couple of those for free but i thought they were no good b/c of the crack in the bottom (shrinkage crack)  He had told me they were split all the way to the top.  Jokes on me!  $100 for the poor end of the stick, and just think i was happy with the deal for awhile.  Funny how perspectives can change.  Most of the time people tell me they have "perfect" logs and i go spend my time driving around looking at crap.  When some decent ones are offered, my buddy says they are no good, and i end up buying 1/4 of them later. 
By the way... where did the rest go?  "split real good" the fellow said.  Ugh!

Max sawdust

Thanks for the story ;)
Funny how that works.  Had the brother inlaw chop up a nice red oak log cause he needs firewood. >:(  I got a saw mill sitting a mile away :o  Have endless firewood I would have traded for the saw log.

One mans gold is big logs for firewood ??? ??? ??? ::) ::)  I have to think way way back long before I ever dreamed of makin a board to remember when I would have chopped up a saw log :'(
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

brdmkr

A friend stops me at church about a month ago.  Says, I thought about you yesterday.  I had a bunch of trees cut and hauled off.  There were a few pretty large cherries in there.   :o :o :o

I didn't know what to say.  I suppose he thought he would be imposing on me to come get them ???
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

DanG

Kelvin, I don't know what your religious views are, but according to mine, it is ok to lie in a situation like that.  Just tell your buddy that you got the log for free.  You'll still be miserable about it, but at least you can do so in private. ;) :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!