iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Loader Completed with pictures.

Started by Chris Burchfield, January 29, 2006, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Burchfield

Dang, if great minds don't think alike. 3/16" wall X 4". Bout dropped my teeth when I saw Dang's in the threads. Still have to weld the tubes on the bottom for the slip pins for the trailer. Angle pieces are stops to contact the trailer floor. I figure to use a chain for the snatch block to be adjustable, high, low, side to side. It rained here all day. Too wet to log. No logs set aside to saw. Should complete fabrication of the Loader today. Should be much faster than the Parbuckle.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

jpgreen

Way to go Chris..  8) 8) 8) :) :) 8) 8) 8)

Keep those pics comin'!!  smiley_beertoast  smiley_beertoast smiley_beertoast

How bout' some 4x4 braces up in the inside corners tied with some kind of strong back material welded with short welds across the top of one side?  I say this cause I've seen a few where the top cross member bends after a porky log, and you know you're gonna be prone to want to push her on weight from time to time..  ;D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Part_Timer

Looks good Chris how much do you think you can pick?

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

DanG

Some gussets in the corners might be in order, depending on how strong your winch is, how strong your welds are, and how heavy the logs are.  The metal I used in mine didn't have enough backbone to handle what the winch would pull.  I did put gussets in the corners, but when I tried to pick up too much, the center of the upper horizontal sagged downward and the gussets pushed the verticals outward, causing the whole thing to buckle.  That's when I added the top to bottom gussets that reach to the center of the top piece.  That solved the strength problem, but limited the size of log I could load because of the smaller opening.  Chris, with the material you are using, I don't think you'll have that problem unless you're using one heck of a winch. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Chris Burchfield

I don't think it'll be a problem. Warren 9500TI winch. Trying to come up with the right material to make up 1 1/4" across the bottom of each leg. My Top Hat trailer uses 1 1/2" pins for the ramps. I have the pipe just need to make up the difference so each leg is well supported. I used the same material for the parbuckle ramps. 66" measured across the outside, 58" on the inside.

rbarshaw

Ok, I admit that I don't have a clue ;D here as to what or how this is to be used, how about a little more description/info? :P :P
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

getoverit

rbarshaw,

try THIS LINK to see the DanG-Deadheader log lifter.

I am in the process of building one myself, and it looks like Chris has the idea too. My only question to Chris is how he plans on getting the logs to lift since his lifter doesnt pivot? I am adapting the DanG-Deadheader method, but using 3" X 1/4 wall square tubing, and making an 8 feet pivoting "A" frame. Im planning on using a snatch block at the apex of the "A" to change the direction of the lift
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Chris Burchfield

Pipe for the pins will be at the bottom of the straight legs as you see it know. Pivot will occur as the frame is supported by the pins with chains securing travel off the end of the trailer to the rear and away. The cable through the snatch block say centered and down to the log, or chain to the log. I propose to incorporate a tag/bolt/? at a given distance from the log, that will not pass through the snatch block. At this point the frame will pivot at the pins lifting the log up and resting upon the trailer. The forward arms will contact the trailer as a stop point. In other words, "Quit with the winch already." Reverse or let out will lower the end of the log onto the trailer. You can then get another bite, or if enough is on the trailer, grab the far end and pull her forward. I know, difficult without pics. I already had it in my mind and working on it. I saw Dang's in the threads over the weekend and knew it would work. I found the metal I needed today to complete fabrication. Pics to follow, I know how we all love pics. Just took a little practice to my album then, insert code from the album to the post. "Proper size of course."
     This in itself is a little challenging for the inept computer user like me. The only reason I took typing is because my future wife was in the class. We've been married 27 years and raised two boys to men. One is now back home (in his room) with his wife. It's my understanding I'll be a grandpa in August. :-\  Jerry Clower said "Your kids will grow up and be gone. I've got new for ya, their coming back and bringing more with them." Aint it the truth.

getoverit

well, I wasnt going to do this yet, but what the heck  ;D

This is what I have so far. I'm building an "A" frame made out of 3" square tubing, with 1/4" walls. The apex of the frame is welded solid, and just under the apex I have cut a 3/4" chisel into pieces and wleded this as a hanger for the snatch block. The legs on the "A" frame are 8 feet long, and then there will be 6" "legs" welded onto this to act as pivot points. (see below)

The actual pivot will be made out of 2" X 4" channel iron, which should fit into the stake pockets on the rear of my trailer. This way, the whole assembly can be easily removed and I can haul tractors or cars on it as I do now. The 8000# winch will be mounted on the front of the trailer.

I have the same idea as you, by having some point on the cable or some sort of a stop in place so that the log is lifted onto the back of the trailer, then the cable let down so that the but of the log rests on the rear of the trailer. I plan on removing the cable from the "A frame and then just dragging it the rest of the way onto the trailer. Since I dont forsee having more then one or two logs at a time, this should work fine for what I need.  Hope this gives you some ideas !  Keep the pics rolling :)

DanG

You guys have got it going on! 8) 8)  I just gotta say one thing.  You do not need a snatch block to lift the log!  It will only cause you trouble.  You see, when you pull your rig forward with the winch, it changes the angles and the snatch block starts to crawl forward on the cable, bringing the arch with it.  Keep in mind, it isn't the cable(and the log) that is coming forward, just the block and the arch.  All this happens very quickly and with a certain amount of violence.  All you gotta do is fasten the log to the arch, and fasten the winch to the arch.  The arch will provide all the lift you need to get the end of the log on the trailer.  Fergit the DanG snatch blocks!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Chris Burchfield

Not that I'm grown now at 47 yoa, but I thought I had to learn all my lessons the hard way. The snatch block has a roller in it for the cable of the winch.  :-\ DanG, I thought I was almost there.

DanG

You're not almost there, Chris, you're already there.  Just don't take the winch cable all the way to the log.  Connect the arch to the log with a chain, and pull the arch with the winch cable. It works a lot smoother that way.

jpgreen

This thread is startin' to git good now..  smiley_turkey_dancing

rbarshaw

Thanx' getoverit, I got the picture now, just didn't make the connection as this one was setting on the ground I couldn't see it on a trailor.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

dail_h

Yeah ,but 'spoze the dang log is off yonder sommers from the trailer? Whaca do then,huh?
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

jpgreen

Don't someone make sum kinda bleet or log call?..  :-*

getoverit

I finally got a couple of hours to work on my log lifter and thought I would update you.
Maybe tomorrow I can get it all mounted on the trailer to show you how it works ;D First thing you will notice is the paint job. It is a coat of rustoleum red primer (wish I could still get red-lead primer) and then 2 coats of safety red rustoleum paint. waiting for the paint to dry was the major holdup on today's progress ;D

The first pic is the 8000# winch that will be the work horse of the lifter. It is a black mountain winch I got off of ebay a couple of months ago for around $300. Mind you that it is just sitting on the trailer right now and not mounted. There's also a bunch of old sheet rock that I need to drop off at the dump on the trailer.

The next pic is a closeup of one of the knuckles that is at the bottom of each leg. The very bottom of the knuckle piece is cut so that it rests on the very back beam of the trailer, and then slips down into the stake pockets that are already on the trailer. By doing it this way, I should be able to take the lifter on and off as needed to haul other things. I am hoping that the major weight will be transferred to the beam and not on the stake pockets.

next is a closeup of the chain I welded at the top of the loader. It is only a few links long, with hooks on each end. One end is for the chain connected to the log, the other end is for connecting to the winch. The "A" frame is upside down in the pic, but the link of chain I welded to the face of the top (hanging down next to the sawhorse) may be used for connecting the winch... I'll have to wait and see if it can handle the stress later...

next is a couple of pics of the whole thing. Dont pay attention to the mess in the garage... by the way, those plastic sawhorses arent the best thing for welding stands....dont ask me how I came to this knowlege  :D

I hope that tomorrow morning I can get the winch mounted down on the bed of the trailer, and the lifter mounted and a good trial run to see if it all works as planned. I'll try to take a few pics of it and post them when I can.

by the way, to answer an earlier question.... the winch has 100' of cable on the spool, and I have a couple of hundred feet of logging chain, so as long as I can get within about 300' of the log, I can load it.... one way or another...

DanG

Hey GOI!  I went up to Hootie's place and got that snatch block you want.  I'll see ya tomorrow with it. ;D 8) 8)

Chris Burchfield

Completed fabrication yesterday and here it is. Old farm machinery wheels. Cut and turned axels to meet 1 1/2" pipe / pivot pins.Schedule 40 pipe cross member. Tapped for 3/8-16 single bolt each side on the angle. Front wheel turns for direction of travel.

Preparing for the Snake River Canyon Jump.

Going Airborn.

Wheels gone, mounted for the DanG way.

Short Take Off and Landing Log (STOL).

Stops in contact, letting the log back down to trailer.

After the log is up on the trailer, I just winch it forward to where I want it.
No slop jars but, a nice load of pe can logs.

Good Chunk, little sag on the Schedule 40 but, it returned to normal.
20jars%2C%20but%20nice%20pecan%2C%20logs_opt.jpg[/img]

The day wasn't out I added more. The ground was wet, the two wheel drive slipped and wouldn't pull, I left the trailer there for a dryer day. Should have a 2500 4WD and not a 1500 2WD. The National Weather Service is calling for 2 - 3 inches of snow. Aint that the way it goes!

beenthere

Chris   Nice work, looks like, I think.  :)
Hope you can get the pics sized so we can see them. Looks, best as I can gather, that there are some interesting things going on, but can't see them.
There are good directions for posting pics to first re-size to under 400 longest side, and then file size under 30KB. They will come out like 'getoverit's then.
Behind the Forum is where to get the instructions, I believe.  (where is the Furby?)  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

getoverit

Outstanding work Chris !!

Looks like the old DanG might be onto something there  :D  I've got mine mounted, but still need to do some work on the winch mount. I'll try it out and post some more pics later this week.

Good Job !!

Chris Burchfield

DanG, I did have that running snatch block think occur a couple of times. I think there is a half way point when the arbor is off the back where it does not take as much work to lift the log, as it does to overcome the up and forward force causing the snatch block to run forward. The logs you see on the trailer were without incident.

dad2nine

Could some do a video of this bad boy in action? Man what an invention

joelmar10

I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

timcosby

if ya dont use a snatch block how do you lower the log to the trailer? could be i'm dense.

Thank You Sponsors!