iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snowmobiling In Iceland

Started by Deadwood, January 29, 2006, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadwood

Out of all the forums I routinely log onto, without a doubt this one has the most international members. I was hoping someone on here might be from Iceland, or have at least visited Iceland at some point and could give me some pointers on visiting this facinating country.

I have been trying to convince my wife that Iceland would be a great country to visit, but up until a week ago, she was unconvinced. With the lack of snow this year, I figure we could go snowmobiling and go on a nice trip all at the same time.

Jeff

Deadwood, really, know matter what you think, it will get better. Maine will get snow again and your last excursion will be but a distant memory.  ;)

I think I would go to greenland.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Winter isn't over yet son. I seen mild winters like this before and we got 4 feet in March.  ::)

One winter it was tee-shirt weather (1980-81) and the bristly locust on the lawn leaved out. In March it turned cold and snowed and fixed the locusts real good. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Quote from: Jeff B on January 29, 2006, 12:13:51 PM
I think I would go to greenland.
Yeah, isn't Greenland the better place for snow and ice?

Deadwood

Snowmobiling is not the only reason I would like to visit Iceland, but I did find out they have snowmobile tours there 365 days a year. I have yet to find anyone that has visited that country so I was hoping for some information here. As I said, its amazing how many places the people of this forum have visited/ live in.

Paschale

I have a friend who married an Icelandic immigrant to America...but the marriage took place in Iceland.  MAN--it's EXPENSIVE to go there...and expensive to get around over there.   ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

pappy

Quote from: Jeff B on January 29, 2006, 12:13:51 PM
Deadwood, really, know matter what you think, it will get better. Maine will get snow again and your last excursion will be but a distant memory.  ;)

yup I can remember a winter back ten or so years ago where the snow the second week of February was only ankle deep... Then we got it good... we were still sledin' in mid April... ::)

Patience Grass Hopper  ;D ;D ;D

Sorry I don't know anything about Iceland execpt there's alot of rocks...

some Google info I found though

Geography - note:
strategic location between Greenland and Europe; westernmost European country; Reykjavik is the northernmost national capital in the world; more land covered by glaciers than in all of continental Europe

Climate:
temperate; moderated by North Atlantic Current; mild, windy winters; damp, cool summers

Terrain:
mostly plateau interspersed with mountain peaks, icefields; coast deeply indented by bays and fiords

Land use:
arable land: 0.07%
permanent crops: 0%
other: 99.93% (2001)      looks like a canidate for a nuke test site  ;D

Natural hazards:
earthquakes and volcanic activity

Languages:
Icelandic, English, Nordic languages, German widely spoken
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

simonmeridew

Deadwood:

Yes it is very expensive in Iceland. Would remind you of Maine where everyone needs 3 jobs in order to make enough to get by. There are NO trees in Iceland. (There is a National Forest so called, near Reykjavic (It looks like you're  5 years into someone's silvicultural project.) This is a result of open grazing by many, many sheep, as well as a rather harsh(not cold, compared with Vermont and Maine)weather. As someone said in the posts there is yearround snowmobiling(summers on glaciers only of course, I'm thinking guided tours etc.) Rentals very available; Winter would obviously be better for snowmobiling. Icelandic language is absolutely indeciferable, but English is nearly universal.  Americans are well liked; certainly in the minority as tourists, compared with Germans, UK, Dutch, Japan.
http://www.vedur.is/english/      is a website to checkout weather. I think intellicast.com also has localized weather forcasting.
The nice thing about traveling in winter is that the only Airline to Iceland(spell that monopoly) is Iceland Air and the fare is MUCH lower in winter and gradually peaks in price in July. http://www.icelandair.com/?bhcp=1. Think in terms of near the arctic circle so daylight this time of year is short but getting longer.  Can give more info if desired
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

Jeff

Quote from: simonmeridew on January 30, 2006, 10:20:58 PM
Deadwood:
There are NO trees in Iceland. (There is a National Forest so called, near Reykjavic (It looks like you're  5 years into someone's silvicultural project.)

I found something interesting on this...

Reforestation work began early this century and although there is still only one proper forest in the country (Hallormstadaskógur in the east), Iceland today plants more trees per head of population than any other nation in the world around four million a year, or 16 for every man, woman and child.

Looks like someday they may. :)

Another site I found that does have an islandic tree gallery.
http://icelandiscool.com/treepicture/

SwampDonkey

The softwood trees seem to be doing quite well, the deciduous look kind of twisty. I wonder how much different the climate would be than in the Canadian Territories, the Yukon is more productive than the other territories.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I didnt look to see when that statement sayd "Early this century" if it was actually refering to the 21st century or the 1900's. :)

SwampDonkey

It's hard to tell scale to, but the leader growth in relation to the total hieght present the ellusion at least, that they are growing well. ;)

simonmeridew

Yes  You drive by the National Forest on your way to Reykjavic from the airpost in Keflevic(sp??) You are exactly right about the leaders...the trees look like a Christmas tree plantation in Vermont, grown by an out of stater who forgot how to shear for a couple of years so they took off and spread their wings. There are, however, some wonderful Arboreta, and not just in the capital, but Isofjordur, and I think Akurari also. There are live mature specimens living outdoors, well labelled and documented, of many species of trees and woody plants, many from Europe as well as North America. Of course you might expect this as Iceland has the "Rift Valley" running down the middle of it, one of the few places you can stand with one foot in North America and the other foot in Europe.  I believe a second example of a Rift Valley is in Kenya, I don't recall where the third is. Otherwise they are under the ocean.
I'll try to post a pic of the national forest tonight or tomorrow; basically you see a few trees in a basaltic sea of lava. Not sure if I have any pics of the arboretum.
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

Deadwood

I noticed in the American Snowmobiler this month they had an article on snowmobiling in New Zealand. It has a platuou that always has snow as well and their are many guided tours.

Basically you take a 15 minute helicopter ride and then get a few hours on a sled. No ditch banging on your own, but at least its snowmobiling. Of course because it is in the southern hemispere, our summer is their winter so they would be gearing up for snowmobiling now. I'm just not sure sitting on a plane for 16 hours for a few hours of snowmobiling would be worth it, but then again your options for riding in June are limited to Alaska, Iceland and now New Zealand!

Thank You Sponsors!