iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stumps

Started by sandy, October 19, 2002, 04:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandy

I purchased approx. 32 ac. and part of it had been logged. Now some of the stumps are starting to grow again. My question is if I cut the smaller growth from the stump and leave the larger growth will it continue to grow or do I just clear it all.

Kevin

This has never been a concern of mine but if it was I would trim off the new growth and most likely poison or saw the stump.

Tom

A forester will give you an educated and correct answer later but I was wondering where you were and what kind of stump you are talking about.  

We have had the Dept. of Forestry in Florida try to teach loggers where to cut cypress so that it will regenerate.  Paulownia regenerates from the stump and this propogation is used to regenerate the stand. Many hardwoods around here regenerate from the stump and it is a nuisance.  Much effort is spent trying to inhibit stump growth beause Pine is the favored tree and hardwoods will canopy over a newly planted pine plantation.  I sure wish our good pine species would stump sprout.  It would save a lot of money in land preparation..

sandy

Sorry that I did not inform all of the type of stumps. They are Hickory and I think that the other is White Oak. I am located in East Tx.
Thanks for all replys.

Kevin

Tom, are you trying to imply that my response isn`t educated and correct?   :D

Tom

No Kevin, I was covering my own dairy ear ;D

Your answer is pretty right and not bad for a canuck, eh? ::)

Kevin

Tom,
If I had half your money I`d rent a stump grinder and take them down to the roots!

Tom

If I had half my money, I would too :D  Gotta talk to the wife and find out where my half is being kept. ???

Kevin

Ok, here`s another one ...

Sprinkle them with salt and let the deer kick them into the ground.
Not quite as quick as the stump grinder but a little more economical.

Bro. Noble

Sandy,

Are you wanting to grow trees on the acerage?  If so you can allow the best sprouts to grow.  If you want to clean it off,  Cut the stumps low enough to brush hog or use chemicals to poison the roots.  Either way will take several seasons to be completely rid of new sprouts, especially with hickories.  Just be thankful you don't have honey locusts.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Corley5

If you want your trees to grow back stump sprouts are fine.  The huge virgin red oak on Colonial Point on Burt Lakes west side are the result of stump sprouts from native American agriculture.  If you haven't seen these trees they're worth your time to check them out.  The land is now owned jointly by MSU and the Little Traverse Conservancy.  Some is owned soley by the Conservancy.  It was purchased from a logging company who had plans to cut the stand.  I believe it was a Deveraux from down state that owned it and intended to log it.  They had markets all lined up.  The veneer, of which there is a LOT, was going to be shipped in log form to Germany.  Anyway...   The Indians way back when would girdle a patch of existing trees and plant their crops, corn, beans, squash in the resulting opening.  After a few years they would move on to a different spot and start over.  The trees would begin sprouting back from the base of the stumps.  The end result is a stand of red oak that survived the logging at the turn of the century and later.  The virgin maple was cut from the stand in the 20s or 30s and there is still some of the original white pine growing in it also.  This is one instance when stump sprouts turned out fine.  If your trees were good before they were cut you may want to let them grow back this way.  The sprouts are clones of the tree that that was there before.  In a few years pick out the strongest healthiest looking stem and cut the rest off.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Larry

Noble,

I found a way to get rid of my honey locust.  Ring them twice all the way around and use a paint brush to apply 2-4-D or toredon (sp?) to the bottom ring.  Has worked real good for me.

I tried the same thing on black locust but they seem to sprout real bad from the roots.  If you have any suggestions let me know.  

Larry
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jeff

Guys, in reading the question, I am not sure that he wants to nessesarily quelch the growth, but is asking if he can get quality trees from the growth. And if yes, what steps does one take in selection or pruning of the stump sprouts to maximize quality.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

I've seen stump sprouts develop into sawtimber sized trees.  But, in most cases, they are multi-stemmed.  Some of these could be weeded out at a very early age.

The big drawback is the original stump will eventually rot and that can cause heartrot in the sprout.  I've seen stumps last a good 20 years before they're gone, and that's without sprouts.  The new sprout will end up growing around it.

For multi-stemmed butt logs, you then have a multiple heart.  That will probably negate the veneer value.  You can cut them short in the woods, and lose 3-4' of your prime lumber, trying to get beyond the multiple heart.

The multiple sprouting comes from epicormic buds that are present underneath the bark.  They are stimulated by sunlight.  If there is enough sunlight, they will continue to grow.

These are present in a large variety of trees.  That is why you will see a tree get covered with leaves and branches on the bole when all the surrounding trees are cut.  They all turn out to be defects
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Texas Ranger

In Texas the stumps, and the sprouts, will usually turn to heart rot, due to insects and fungus.  Best bet is to herbicide the stems and plant back to better species.  Hickories are not the best for east Texas.  I assume it is on some bottom land type soil, if so, check with the local Texas Forest Service office on the species that can be planted there, and possibly set up a planting schedule.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Scott

Stump spouts don't reproduce the best quality wood for the reasons stated. Heavy deer browsing will also deform stump  sprouts even more.

It is best to herbicide the stumps, do some site preparation, and plant seedlings of your preferred species.

If stump sprouts are of a preferred species and the quality of sprouts seems to be suitable and approachibng sapling size  you could do some selective weeding of releasing the best dominant sapling in place for some diversity of species on your property.

~Ron

woodmills1

stump sprouts are great for firewood but not so good for sawlogs. :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!