iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TreeFarmer Skidder C8

Started by Parttimewoodsman, January 28, 2006, 03:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parttimewoodsman

I've inherited a Cancar C8 TreeFarmer skidder in my culdesac.  Does anybody know what the engine in this thing is exactly?  I think it's a Detroit Diesel 8V-71....    We're going to try and start it tomorrow and it would be nice to know what I'm dealing with. 

Is there anything I need to know about the controls before I try it...I've never driven a skidder! I'm mainly a tractor/truck person.

Minnesota_boy

Raise the blade before you move forward.  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

thecfarm

I guess you gave him a taste of what we are like here.  ;D Welcome to the forum.Sorry I can't help you,I'm mainly a tractor/truck guy too.Probaly change all the filters and fluids on it,once you know it runs good.Hang on to your wallet,probaly will cost 4 times what you think it should.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Minnesota_boy

I thought it was a pretty practical suggestion.   :D

My neighbor had a skidder once that the packing on the blade cylinders would leak a bit.  He was driving it down the gravel road in high gear and not watching the blade.  When it hit the gravel, the skidder stopped rather suddenly.  :o

I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Parttimewoodsman

Well, ....thanks for the advice.  I got the skidder started and moved but did indeed have problems with the blade.  It went up once and then stayed down for good.  Eventually, I kept pushing the hydraulic lever and it jerkily lifted and off we went.

Boy its a big machine.

leweee

Partimewoodsman....Welcome to the forum 8)

What part of canada you all from?

How's dem brakes on that hungry C8? ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Parttimewoodsman

I'm in the Fraser Valley - a rainy 60 miles outside of Vancouver.  Lots of alder, cedar and old big leaf maples.

The brakes didn't work too well.  I'm assuming that it's because I dripped some hydraulic fluid on the drive plate.  I'll clean it and see what happens.

Sawyerfortyish

Are you sure it's 8 cylinder Detroit? The 8v-71 has 318hp before turbocharging. Thats a lot of engine for a skidder. My guess would be a 453 or a 653 Usally the 53 series engines is what was put in equipment altho I have seen a Timberjack with 671.

Parttimewoodsman

I'm not sure what engine this thing has!   I DO know that it's got 8 cylinders and is not turbo'd.  Can't seem to find a way to figure out what exactly it is.  I can't find anywhere on the web a way to identify whether it's a detroit diesel or not!

Sawyerfortyish

If it's a detroit it'll say so in big letters on the valve cover or on the air intake.

Parttimewoodsman

Thanks.  You were right, it's not a Detroit.  It's a Perkins.

ely

i was gonna say if it hurt your head when you revved her up then its probably a detroit. ;D

Coon

The Perkins engines are still nice too.  Alot quieter than the Screamin Jimmies. :D  The Perkins deisels were fairly fuel efficient along with the hp.
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Frickman

Perkins are great motors, you should like it. Is it a V-8? that's the only Perkins 8 cylinders that I've seen.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Parttimewoodsman

Yah, it's a V8 from about 1971.  Upgraded the muffler system.  Possible oil in the radiator.  Seems to run fine, though.  Winch is great.  Nasty urban youths smashed the instrument gauges, though.  Stole the knobs, too.   

exLogger

I see this is an old thread but, I would LOVE a pic of your C8.

My gypo-logging father, Randy Welker, had a C8A that I used to operate in N. Calif, USA in the 70s/80s. We were always too busy working to take any pics and now its gone and so is he :(

It was quite the beast... uncommon for this area. And, of course, no brakes really. Too much hydralic fluid leaking down on em :-))

Mark K

They used them engines in the Massey Furgason. I've been around them a little, neighbor use to chop with his. Seemed to have decent power. Good luck
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Buck

Welcome,  PICTURES! please ;)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Reddog

Quote from: exLogger on November 10, 2010, 12:35:26 PM
I see this is an old thread but, I would LOVE a pic of your C8.

Pretty unlikely
Last time they where online: Last Active:    March 07, 2006, 06:05:35 pm

Buck

Yeah, wasnt too observant on my part. Oh well. lol
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

tjdub

I got curious and managed to find a photo of one using google.

Looks like quite a beast.

barbender

It looks like delimbing arms on the blade of that monster, or something hydrualic actuated anyways. What a beast :o
Too many irons in the fire

lumberjack48

Dam that's one Helluva horse, i rented a C6 one winter, it had a 6 cylinder Perkins , 140 hp with a 6 speed Allison automatic. It was fun to operate compared to my C5D  stick shift with 353 Detroit, but this way i rented it i didn't want to pay for a break down, just needed a little help to finish a job up, we ran her hard, and she liked the taste of diesel fuel.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

treefarmer87

its got so much power, it will pull itself over backwards if the drag gets hung :o
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!