iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Takin' it up a Notch !

Started by fencerowphil (Phil L.), January 28, 2006, 09:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

For years my signature had indicated that I was a piano tuner/rebuilder
involved in wood because of that occupation.  Still true,...
HOWEVER... ::)
I had also used this for my "two cents worth,"  :

QuoteDon't care if it pazes; Make my livin' other waze.

Well, as of just recently,  it has begun to pay, so now all of a sudden I have
ratcheted up a notch from hobby to what I call "bi-vacational."  In other words,
I use piano work to vacation from sawing and sawing to vacation from piano
repairs and tuning.

One of my "ratchet clicks," if you will, is to watch the weather on the internet:
If long range says rain in two days and lasting two days,  I get on the telephone
and set up my appointments to do the indoor career for the rain days.  I plan the
sawing for the other days.

There are some other "ratchet clicks," involved.

What are some of your clicks-
     things you have just done or are about to do,
     in order to ...
  8)   8)  step farther and deeper into sawchips?     8)  8)
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Larry

Well ok Phil.  Since it is raining today I'm setting here at the PC getting about 200 Ebay auctions ready to list.  Good thing is I'm never further than a click away from the FF. :) 

Won't take to long until I get bored and my clicking finger wears out, so I'll wander out to the shop.  Got a reproduction walnut stair railing to finish and a gun stock repair. 8) 

Guess I could turn my attention to setting and sharpening couple bands...that won't last long ::) so I might work on one of the woodworking machines I'm restoring. :)

Whoops...boss just caught me goofing off...better get back to the Ebay auctions. :-[
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

HORSELOGGER

If I get any further into sawchips/planer chips/ moulder chips I'll end up as compost fodder under the horses :)
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

highpockets

Larry what are you selling on Ebay?

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Larry

Not much. :-[  The boss sells bout anything and everything. :o  She does most of the buying, all of the shipping, and write ups while I take care of pictures and the listings.  Biggest seller last year was George Foreman GRP99 grills...think maybe around 400.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

woodbowl

Hi phil, as you know, I thought I took it up a knotch when I bought my sawmill.  :D I was making good money tuning pianos, but I was just bored out of my gourd sitting on a piano bench for 25 years. Rebuilding old uprights was a lot more fun than tuning to me, trouble is you have to do it all. I still haven't rebuilt my players like we were discussing last Aug. and it looks like I will be putting off restoring the two square grands as well.
      I would much rather saw wood but have never really made more than a living at it.  I am continuing to step it up to saw more effecient so maybe my "ratchet clicks" would be sharpening my blades.  ;D Naw ...... I still tune from time to time, but I also sell the wood bowls that I make. It's a nice break and I've got big plans for that too.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

I will throw in another "ratchet click."
:P                                                 :P
Back in my chainsaw milling days I had a small pile of wood here and
another there.   (You just can't put out much wood with that method,
ya' know!)  Now the old Peterson 10" Swingblade can bury me in wood
in a day.  New challenge!
:-\
I decided to build nice block foundations and set up tidy drying stacks.
It was becoming obvious that I needed to preserve the value of my
sawing effort by doing the best I could to properly process the product.
Next, I need to fabricate some light-weight covers for my stacks which can be
lifted on and off with the trusty BobCat.   Then I can move up from
black plastic and cardboard with another "ratchet click."

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

jpgreen

I worked in the music business for 25 years.  Toured much of country and parts of the world as a piano/keyboard man from the age of 17.

The whole time I was torn between that and my love for the outdoors.

Now- I get excited just by the sight of logs as I drive down the road..  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

After getting little from the Katrina damage area from the internet postings,  I
decided to click up a notch.

I placed a paid advertisement in a paper in the heart of the Mississippi
damage area and will make one trip for sure.  A recent acquaintance,
whom I talked to on the telephone, said that they were hardly making
a dent in the needed sawing.   My hope is to secure enough paid work
to be able to afford to do some volunteer sawing.  The sawing for charity
will be done in geographical areas whose codes readily allow the rough
sawn lumber to be used freely.

[ Not that my Peterson makes any "rough sawn lumber!"]

(chuckle, yuk, yuk)

Phil L.

woodbowl

Quote from: Phil L. on January 30, 2006, 07:00:03 AM  The sawing for charity
will be done in geographical areas whose codes readily allow the rough
sawn lumber to be used freely.

Phil, there are no restrictions in using rough sawn lumber in the county I sawed in north of Biloxi and may include all of rural Miss, not sure. I couldn't belive it!. I'm afraid change is in the works though. Here in Fla, we are hog tied to use inspected lumber for home building, ........ unless you know about remodeling ordinances.   ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Hey Woodbowl,  I will p.m. you on that county.

Now that I have several thousand feet of various woods fully air dried,
a "ratchet click" I need very soon is a solar kiln with a solar pre-heater
for sterilization of some of my old piles. 

Phil L.

woodbeard

My piles need sterilisation, too, but that is another story. ::)

I am finally getting around to putting a roof over my mill. That is my latest "click", the last one being buying it. It won't be the prettiest shed, but it will keep this expensive machine frome becoming expensive junk.
All I lack is 8 pieces of roof tin. Everything else I already had laying around, including myself.. gotta get back at it. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!