iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new member saying HI

Started by loudsam, January 28, 2006, 03:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loudsam

Hi Everyone,  I've been reading this forum for a couple of days and decided to say hi, with a couple of questions.  To begin with, I'm the proud new owner of an Oscar 30, (Hud-Son), sawmill.  I bought it kind of by accident, but, I've wanted a Mill for several years.  I'm just getting it set up still, and haven't sawed any lumber with it yet.

A couple of questions;

#1-Having read alot, I've come to the conclusion that there are several people on here using Big Tooth Aspen for Timber-framing.  Am I reading this right???  I have ALOT of this stuff, and I thought it was basically worthless in building.  But, I don't know a thing about building, and that's why I'm asking.  What about the other types of Aspen, and also Balsam Fir?

#2-If I were to be able to use this for building sheds/garages/barns/house,  who or what would I do about inspection?  It's not graded like stick framing from what I can glean from this forum so far.  Would I have to have someone come out to inspect the beams and such if I were to saw them myself?

#3-What would be the single-best book to buy to start me learning about Timber-frame building,  Considering I don't know a THING???

I've got lots more questions, but I would be happy just to have a few questions answered at this point. 

This forum ROCKS BTW and I'm very glad to have found it!  Hi to EVERYONE<

Doug/loudsam :)

jph

Welcome to the forum.
I can answer your 3rd question, without doubt Jack Sobon's Timber Frame Construction is the best book, but  others well worth having are A Timber Framer's Workshop by Steve Chappell and Building The Timber Frame House by Tedd Benson.
John

loudsam

Hi John,  For what reasons would you say it's the best book to buy?  Would it show me the techniques of Timber-framing, and how to do the different joints/etc?  Would the book also show me the rest of the steps in that style of building, such as enclosing the frame?  I don't know a thing about Timber-framing, although I do understand platform framing/stick framing.

Doug

Jim_Rogers

I have posted my list of books here, do a search and you should find it.
It contains the names and authors of these books and the reasons why I liked them.
My book list grows every year (around Christmas time) and I should update it soon.
Get one and then another....
Reading about timber framing is a life long learning process.....

Have fun, and welcome....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

loudsam

Thanks Jim!  I found your book list and copied it to my hard-drive.  I think probably Sobens book will be my first, and I might join the Guild, although I can't afford it, really.

Would you care to comment on my question about using Aspen, (bigtooth or quaking), and also Balsam fir, as I have alot of it where I live on my property?  As I said, I know NOTHING, but, I've often looked at this species, what we call poplar up here, and I'm really curious as to whether or not it could be used in Timber frame construction????

Thanks for the welcome!
Doug  8)

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.

Your exploration of aspen species in Northern WI for construction should prove to be interesting and give you some incentive to 'carefully' saw it for construction. Usually, instead of referring to it as 'poplar' it is referred to as 'popple', although some get that confused when they hear it and translate it to 'poplar'.

For getting strength information, you might poke around at the U. of MN - Duluth as well as their Minneapolis campus. Also, I believe there is a Natural Resources group in Duluth that may have interest or activity in structural use of popple. One problem is getting trees of sufficient size to make more than 2x4's.  The strength of these woods varies and might require careful tree identification, and as well, more knowledge about the grading of the timbers. Seems dead limbs hang on with aspen and don't allow clear wood to be grown over for higher strength like some species.

On your own, you can cut some timbers and evaluate for yourself if they seem to have the strength for critical beam and supports in a timber frame. Clear wood properties (that don't take into account the defects) can be found in chapter 3 and 4 in 
Wood Handbook Chapters
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

loudsam

Thanks Beenthere!  I copied the WHOLE book, (Wood Handbook).  I feel great I'm getting some good info!

Doug :P

BTW;  Where in Wisconsin are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: loudsam on January 28, 2006, 10:23:17 AM
Would you care to comment on my question about using Aspen, (big tooth or quaking), and also Balsam fir, as I have a lot of it where I live on my property?  As I said, I know NOTHING, but, I've often looked at this species, what we call poplar up here, and I'm really curious as to whether or not it could be used in Timber frame construction????

Doug:
I don't have any experience with Aspen (big tooth or quaking). I would think that Balsam Fir would be in the tables in the NDS values for strengths and such, but I'd have to look that up.

I just checked out DonP's calculator's look up table and Balsam Fir is first on the list alphabetically.
The values look ok.
Here is a link to his site and the values table:
Click here for link to Values table

Before you go way down a road you don't need to go down searching out things that may not apply, you should first create a design for your building. Then you'll know what size timbers you'll need.
Then contact your building inspector and see if they will allow you to use native lumber (aspen) or not.
Have a general, off the record, conversation with them and find out what you can do, and what you can't.
There are lumberman associations out there that have traveling graders who can come to your site and grade your timbers so that you can comply with building inspectors requirements, if you need to.

As I have always cautioned, phrase your questions correctly. What I mean by that is that if you walk in and ask a leading question like: "do I have to have my timbers grade stamped?" You may get a " of course you do!"

But if you say: "I want to build a barn out of timbers off my own property, milled out by my own sawmill, will you have a problem with that?"

You may get an unofficial "ok" until he sees the plans.....

But at least you'll know what's up.....

Good luck with your research.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

loudsam

Thanks for more good info Jim!  I'm going to learn alot hanging around here.  I sawed some boards with my Mill last night.  I don't have any logging tools except a small chainsaw.  I don't have anything to move a log with.  But, I was able to wrestle a small Maple log, (from a morphadyke tree in my yard that's falling apart everytime the wind blows), and saw it into 2-  2x4x8's and 1-  1x4x8.  It took me forever, and I'm sore this morning, but I'm happy.  My saw works well, and I'm hooked.  But, I'm going to have to get something to move logs with!!!

Thanks again Everybody!
Doug

Tom

You'll find all kinds of examples of log moving paraphanalia in this board, and many more in Sawmilling.  Check it all out before you go gallavanting down town looking for a log-moving store.  :D

loudsam

Quote from: Tom on January 29, 2006, 07:13:10 PM
You'll find all kinds of examples of log moving paraphanalia in this board, and many more in Sawmilling.  Check it all out before you go gallavanting down town looking for a log-moving store.  :D

Thanks Tom!  A merchant seaman will usually have a habit, (because we've got limited time on shore), of trying to "throw money" at a problem, (moving logs), without checking out all of our options first.  You've made a good point.   :D

Thank You Sponsors!