iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started by dubert, January 27, 2006, 10:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubert

Hello:   
   My name is Duane Reynolds. I am a farmer and trucker living in south-central IL. I am trying to do my part to help our kids futures by planting about 120 acres of CRP ground in 9 different kinds of oak trees. I am the hauler that is bringing getoverit's truck from Nashville to FL. and after talking with him a while, he invited me to join this forum. I have a 1 ton pickup and 2 goosenck trailers (20ft and 29ft) and plan on looking for an enclosed cargo trailer in the near future.I look forward to hearing from and meeting you all,and maybe help you out with some of your shipping needs. Duane
Duane

Brad_S.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Duane! 8)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Frank_Pender

Welcome a board, dubert.  There is a definite need for some hauling services, that is for sure.
Frank Pender

Tom

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Dubert.

I sure look forward to the story of the trees, Each and every one of them.  :D

getoverit

Hey Dubert !!

Glad ya finally got it figured out and VERY glad to have you on the forum. I'm sure you can find plenty of stuff to haul on here, and there's some really good foresters to help with the farm too.

Welcome aboard!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

CHARLIE

Welcome to the forum dubert (Duane)! 8)   I have a cousin down in Alabama that has a grove of oak trees but it's just a hobby for him.  He collects acorns when he travels. Then he plants the acorns and when the tree is big enough, he transplants it to his grove.  He has all kinds of oaks. 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Coon

Glad to have you here Dubert.  Pull up a stump and join in the chatter we have goin on here.  Don't be afraid to ask questions or give your point of view we won't criticize you much. :D :D

Like to hear that you are planting more trees cuz what would this world be like without em???  I know one thing for sure most of us would rather be dead without em. 

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum! You will be hauling a sawmill to your place pretty soon.   :D  Nothing like sawing lumber.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isassi

Daren

Hi Duane. We do need a member who can/will haul, from what I have learned here we are a bunch of swappers here always needing something someplace else. Visit when you can, there is alot of interesting conversation here. I am going to keep your contact info handy. I just bid a big custom cherry entertainment center that would need to go from central Illinois to Flint, MI. (don't know if it will fly, the price even scared me and I know it was real fair). I have a thick slab table top to go to Florida someday. I have turned down/lost jobs in the past 'cause of shipping, if I knew I could get it there (eventually) I would try harder for out of state work. People are willing to wait for custom stuff. If you get to heading different directions, maybe I could throw something on and help everybody (you, me, them). I would have some interest in the trip back to Illinois some too, no need to come back empty. I could have had some of those Katrina windfalls as a novelty (maybe still can?) and resold the furniture right back down there for a premium.

Daren

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Stamp

Welcome to the Forestry Forum! 8)

Kirk_Allen

Welcome aboard Duane.  Your about 60 miles south west of my place. 

So what kind of Oaks did you plant?  Where did you get them? Did the state supply them under the CRP?

dubert

Quote from: Kirk Allen on January 28, 2006, 10:07:19 AM
Welcome aboard Duane.  Your about 60 miles south west of my place. 

So what kind of Oaks did you plant?  Where did you get them? Did the state supply them under the CRP?

Thanks for the welcome. The oaks came from Berg-Warner Nursery in Lizton ,IN. I recieved them in oct/2001. Ken Hoene timber services from Shelbyville ,IL planted them. I was involved in a pilot program for bottom ground that year in that the FSA wanted to try planting 4 ft-7 ft greenhouse raised trees to get them off to a faster start. It seemed like a great idea at the time. The local deer herd evidently thought it was a great idea too. Those nice ,tender young trees must have been real tasty, because they ate most of them off that first winter . (2100 trees). Now ,4 years later, the trees that survived (60-70%) are almost as big as when they were planted. They have one heck of a root system though,so they should really take off and grow now and the deer must think that the volunteer soft maples and cottonwoods taste better now. The FSA paid for 90% of the cost.  The oaks are as follows:
RED OAK , SHINGLE OAK , SWAMP WHITE OAK , SWAMP CHESTNUT OAK , BUR OAK , PIN OAK , CHINQUAPIN OAK , and SHUMARD OAK. They also mixed in 300 more Bald Cypress and Buttonbush for wildlife. I look forward to meeting you sometime.Have a good day,  Duane
Duane

maple flats

Welcome dubert. You've found the right place. Sounds like you have a good start and know the reality of growing trees. Next you need to get some venison, reduce the herd some. Deer are good but you need to keep the numbers in check. Some times it helps to plant something in a remote corner of the property that they feel more secure and they can feed on  and like better in the winter which is usually when the chew on trees and buds the most.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

highpockets

Welcome Duane.  I have to worn you, about this bunch.  They are the most wonderfull folks you'll ever know.  There is something about sawmilling and integrity that seem to run on this forum. 
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

sandmar

Welcome Duane......yep,this bunch is hard to live with at times..that's why I check in this forum about 5 times a day  ::) Lots of info to be learned here,wish my memory were better,so I didn't have to keep looking stuff up in the archives  :-\

Sandmar

DoubleD

Welcome Dubert you are in the right place a lot of info friends and humor 8)
Wannabe a sawmiller

red

welcome

keep that truck Full  bothways!

we just might be able to help with that
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

dubert

Thanks for the welcome. I really appreciate it, and if I can be of service for your hauling needs, just let me know. Duane
Duane

Faron

I spoke on the phone to Duane yesterday.  We're trying to work out details of a hauling job.  Heck of a nice guy.   :)  Anybody need something hauled from northwest  NY back to the midwest next week?  Duane's your man if you do.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Woodcarver

Welcome, Duane. Maple Flats is right on about the deer.  They have a taste for oak saplings. 
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

dubert

Well ,I have a taste for deer,so I reckon that makes us about even. Duane
Duane

Thank You Sponsors!