iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you dish it out? (Tractor Wheels)

Started by Deadwood, January 27, 2006, 08:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadwood

The tires on a tractor that is?

My father wants to dish the wheels out on our 2500 series Kubota tractor. The machine is pretty narrow on on this hilly terrain here in Maine, and it feels like it's going over quite a bit. So far so good.

We have dished out the back wheels, but he would like to dish out the front wheels. (When I say dish out I mean invert the tires and swap them from left to right so that the treads go forward, but the wheels are set out more from the concave/ convex rims). My concern is with the geometery and added pressure on the front spindles/ axel assembly.

The machine is a 4X4 and the added guage would make the front wheels track with the rear wheels and make it more stable. Any thoughts on this?

bull

You don't need to do it..... I put my 2550 in every conceiveable position. slopes etc. never had any problem.  up hill pulls w/ to much on the draw bar frontend off the ground 2 feet. down slope, side hills etc. Pull the rears back in as well if your skidding w/ it your going to strain the rear end as well, the adjustable rear are really for planting and cultivation. Inverting your from wheel will wreck your spindels { verticle drive shafts} on the front end.  A freind of mine did this with a 3300 cost him $3000 to fix his frontend machine had very low hours, he did keep his rears out and has to cut skid roads 2 feet wider and always scars tree butts .........   
13 years of skidding w/ my 2550 wheels set by factory nevey any problem. The present owner hasn't changed it and is a hell of alot rougher on the machine than I ever was and also alot more careless. He has yet to have any rollover issues or near misses....
I SAY NO WAY !!!   Haven't killed a Kubota yet and I have my fourth Machine as of last May M6800.....

Larry

Ford says no on my 1720...no reason given but I suspect added pressure on the front spindles.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Engineer

I feel like I'm going over a lot more than I'd like, on my JD 4100.  Found out last week that I can go far enough over to literally fall off the tractor and it won't tip.   :o  I got stuck in some soft dirt while backblading my yard after septic tank installation, and when the front tire sank in, I tipped over more than the tractor did....  Fell right out of the seat.    Then we had a chain hooked up, even with 4wd and a front loader I couldn't get myself out, and I had a very hard time getting back on the tractor and operating it because it was tipped over so far.

I had my dealer do what you describe to both my front and rears, plus the rears are filled with something that resembles thin molasses (actually I think it IS molasses byproduct).  JD lets you do it, I don't know about Kubots - might want to check with your dealer.  It will improve the stability but not by much that you'd notice.  You will be scared long before you actually tip over.

woodmills1

I just looked in the book for my Kioti and while the back is adjustable it says do not change the front as transmission or 4 wheel drive damage may occur.

Way back I used to turn around the wheels on VW bugs.  The ones with large bolt pattern wheels.  Much more stable but really tough on front end parts.  I also used to jam 8.55 15 tires from buicks onto those skinny wheels, good for 5 to 10 MPH on top end but relly tough on acceleration. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

beenthere

I turned mine on the Deere 4300. Has worked great and like the wider stance.  All depends on the design and structure of the axle and spindles. Can't say for Kubota but apparently Kioti and Ford don't want it done. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

IL Bull

You don't gain anything on the front because the front end is mounted on a pivot and not on a suspension.  Wide front end tractors really don't add stability until all the motion is used on the pivot which is past the tipping point on most tractors. :P
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

slowzuki

Kubota says no on the front tire flip, most of your stability comes from the rear anyways.

Sawyerfortyish

We flipped the tires in the rear and widened the front on one of our fords for planting and cultivating. It's not a 4wd but sure does feel safer on steep side hills. I use it to pull a hay tedder in hay season and one thing I did notice the torque on the front end spindles when making sharp turns is greatly increased.

dutchman

I own JD 750 compact 4x4,with loader, service manual says no to dish out front wheels.
Rears are OK to dish.
When I first ran this machine for brushhog on a side hill didn't like it
at all. Called JD and found a set of rear wheel spreaders, 8" per side
made a world of difference.

getoverit

the rear tires on my Ford 3000 are filled with water to about 75% capacity. I dont think you could tip it over if you wanted to. It grabs the dirt like a tiger paw too :)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

wiam

Engineer,  could that be a product called Rimgaurd.  That is what is in mine.  I am told it a beet juice  base.

Will

Deadwood

Thanks for all the input.

I was a little leery about dishing out the front wheels because of all the things you have mentioned. I'm going to TRY and talk my father out of this idea. That's quite the chore, once he has got it in his mind to do something, it takes a lot to convince him otherwise.

Thanks again.

Engineer

Not sure what the product is.  The dealer told me it was molasses-based, but since beets > sugar > molasses > byproducts, it's possible to be both.   All I know is it's the consistency of light machine oil or diesel, dark brown in color, and smells funny.

wiam

maple flats

Don't do it. I yried it several years ago, Ford 1500 4 x 4, no power steering, it was a real bear to steer and if I hit an obsticle it really jerked the steering wheel. I changed then back the same day.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Engineer

I checked mine, I guess the fronts stayed the same, but the dealer definitely moved the back rims out.

Sawyerfortyish

I'll agree with maple flats the tractor I have widened out for planting and cultivating will jerk the wheel out of your hands if you hit a plow furro or good size stone and can really hurt your knuckles  :'(.

wiam

Your knuckles should not be inside of the wheel.  Older tractors with no power steering can break your knuckles if they are not outside the wheel. :o

Will

Thank You Sponsors!