iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ironwood bench legs

Started by Dana, January 26, 2006, 09:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

I had some ironwood that was to go into the outdoor wood burner but couldn't bring myself to do it until opening a piece up. Glad I did, the wood looks like apple and has some spalting with no rot 8) I slabed two sides and intend to make a small bench using flared stumps for the legs. What is the best way to secure the legs to the bench?  Anyone got a good detailed photo of their method? Thanks Dana
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

dail_h

World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Tom

Here I am!    :D :D

Click here for link to "Rustic Furniture"

Checkout the Forum Archive gallery under wood working projects and you'll see some examples of benches.

Dana

Tom, thanks for the links. When I went to the forum gallery and typed in wood working projects it said no images were found. Any ideas?

Tom

Click on image archive at the top of the page
when gallery loads click on archive
scroll down to wood projects and open it
You should see lots of pictures of "stuff" :)

The top of the page will list 3 albums  click on an album

Each album has multiple pages that you can access at the bottom right of each page.

ARKANSAWYER

If this is Hophorn bean ironwood then it had better be an inside bench.  It will trun to mush outside most quick.  It will finish glass smooth and hard as a rock.
ARKANSAWYER

Dana

Arky, it is Hornbeam and it will be inside. You sure are right about the hard as a rock or is it iron thing. I used two sheets of 36 grit on a 8" area and still haven't removed all the saw marks.  :o Have to get to the store and get some 36 grit for the big sander/grinder and see if that removes them quicker. For the legs I am thinking of using flared stumps no one has mentioned securing them have they?

Thehardway

I would like to get my hands on a couple firewood size peices of hornbeam to make mallets/mallet heads.  If you have any left over let me know.  I can't find any locally.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

submarinesailor

Thehardway,

I have a fair amount standing on the mountain.  And according to my mapping software, it's about 99 miles from the James River at Lynchburg to Syria in Madison County – I'm just up the river from Graves Mountain Lodge if you know where it is.  If you want to come and get a few pieces, just slip me an IM and I'll forward you directions.

Bruce/subsailor

Dana

Thehardway, I still got a few pieces if you need them. Dana

Thehardway

Dana,

Thanks for the reply and the offer.  email me bob@liberty.edu and I'll send you my shipping address I will be happy to pay you for shipping etc.  I'm going to try to get in touch w/ submarinesailor as well but it might be a while before I can make the trip.  Thanks
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Thank You Sponsors!