iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Calling you Swinger Guys/and or Gals.

Started by Chris Burchfield, January 26, 2006, 07:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Burchfield

I have the Lucas and Peterson videos. Both look like fine equipment. Is the power transfer for the 90 degree, conical gears? If so, I suspect, are they in fluid? What are the normal wear parts for these two mills in particular? I know this is a loaded bunch of questions, but there is a particular mill available and as John Wayne would say "Day lights a waistin." Thanks to all. Chris.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Troy

My mill is pretty new, so no input on wear and tear yet.  Captain or the Peterson folks from down under should be able to help with that one.  Which mill do you have your eye on Chris?  They are both good quality machines, I just liked some of the Peterson features over Lucas.  I have an ATS 8" w/27hp Kohler and love it.
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Captain

The most common wear item are the simple nylon roller wheels that the mill rides on, in particular the ones with the narrower groove on the right side of the operator.  The Peterson wheels have 2 grooves, and the wheel is just turned around to utilize the other groove when one wears out.  I'm on my second replacement set of rollers at 400+ hours.

Other than that, engine maintainence, gearbox fluid maintainence, drive belts occasionally, and of course carbide tips as they wear out.  What you can't buy locally, we have here  :)

Captain

Chris Burchfield

Thanks Capt. Peterson 10" WPF by Done911 sounds very hard to beat. Don's getting info for me so I can check with the Factory. However, Bailey's Lucas is in the running too. I can eyeball a Lucas, There's not a Peterson close by to view.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Fla._Deadheader

My Peterson is an older model. The video shows how someone can rebuild the gearbox on my particular model mill. I saw a Lucas run, then attended some shows. Bought a used Peterson. ALMOST bought the one DonE is sellin. Lots of stuff for the money. I would not hesitate if I had the money and logs. That's a good deal.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Part_Timer

Chris

Don has a fine mill for sale at a fair price. 

All I can say is it's time to make sawdust and you know where the mill is.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Captain

Hey, I've cut with that mill :)

Funny thing is, it is just 1 serial number newer than mine....

Captain

jpgreen

Both are fine mills fo sho.

I think if I ran into a serious deal on either one, I would jump.

I'm still dreamin' Peterson though..  8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

solodan

Quote from: jpgreen on January 26, 2006, 10:38:03 PM

I think if I ran into a serious deal on either one, I would jump.

I agree with JP.

I saved $2000 when I bought a Lucas 827 with 2 hrs on it. ;D

The really great thing was I put the 2 hrs on it.  ;D

I was ready to buy a Peterson ATS,  when I got the call about this deal.

I have been very happy with the Lucas.

brdmkr

I have a Lucas, and it seems that the wear Captain mention on the Peterson may be in common to swing mills.  The nylon rollers do seem to wear.  Mine are still in good shape after just 40  hours, but I'll bet they will be replaced before 250 hours.  On the plus side, they are not expensive and replacement should be easy.  I am not sure what you were asking regarding the gears in fluid, but the Lucas uses ATF for lubricant in the gear box.  I hope that helps.  Given you are in TN, I'd run to Jackson and let Brian show you a Lucas.  He is good people and would be happy to provide a demo.  To be honest, I bought the Lucas because I felt like I got a good deal, I think I'd be happy with either.  I am sure you will like either mill.  Keep us posted.

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

sigidi

most common wear item? - blade tips >:(

Haven't needed anything replacing, adjusting, re-allinging, tweakin or fiddlin with since I bought my Lucas over 16 months ago. (oh hang on, tell a lie, muffler baffles where shot and the local B&S fella's replaced the muffler no q's asked)

I have broken a part on my weatherboard attachment, but that was through a bit of error on my part I think???

Rex Lucas has contacted me personally on quite a few occassions - most often than not in response to q's I have posted here on the forum!! The latest being about my 5x5 post issues from earlier lask week

Having said all that - I think everyone will be in agreement, whichever machine you get - you'll be addicted ;D :D
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!