iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need someone to carve a cedar football

Started by rgs, January 25, 2006, 10:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rgs

I'm looking for someone who can carve a regulation size football out of cedar.  It will need to have laces and the Wilson brand on the side.  It will be for a trophy for a high school football team.  I was told to post my request on this site and maybe someone who could help me would see it.  If you can carve this for me or know of someone who can please email me at gsallis@bellsouth.net.  Please don't reply on this site.  This is, of course, a paying gig.

Thanks,

RGS

Frank_Pender

When and wher do you want it delivered?  What species of Cedar.  I just so happen to have a nice chunk of Western Red Cedar about a hundred years old.
Frank Pender

Lud

Don't have the cedar,  but if I was going to carve it ,  I'd suggest spinning that bad boy down on the lathe to about a quarter inch oversize then layout the seams and V-gouge those leaving the laces for hand and powertoolin carving.  I've had good success using black ink to layout the wording and then wood burning thru the ink to simulate the brand.

I thik the school should ask Wilson for permission for a one-time usage of their copyrighted symbol just show respect.

I'd consider a dimpling tool to get the pigskin effect,  buff to a high polish and use a gloss poly finish.  Make a cradle  out of the leftover when you bandsaw the block to a cylinder prior to lathing. ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Daren

Lud, you think like I do (that should scare you). I read this post last night and came up with the same ideas, must be the right way to do it ;D. I have an eastern red cedar log laying in the yard right now that I have had for months. It came on a load of nice straight ones, it is shaped like a pop bottle,  big at the butt and tapers too fast to get long boards out of without a bunch of waste. I have been wondering what to do with it, it is 22" + on the big end, so there is some carving stock there.
I had posted awhile back about the school shop teacher and boosters approaching me to make some baseball bat blanks for them. If rgs doesn't mind I might "borrow" his football idea and run it by them. I had the same idea to use a piece of scrap and make a kicking tee to set it on.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Cedarman

If someone wants to do the work and doesn't have access to the cedar, I believe me and UPS could solve that little problem. (I could carve on every log in my yard and all that would be left would be shavings) :D :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Daren

Quote from: Cedarman on January 26, 2006, 10:02:45 AM
(I could carve on every log in my yard and all that would be left would be shavings) :D :D :D

You can't read the label in the picture, but is says

RED CEDAR CHIPS
  Great For
Closets, drawers, boats, R.V.s, Potpourri

And it has my contact info and my web address

$2.00 a quart bag. I got the idea when my preacher buddy (I don't go to his church, but it's a block away, so when he is bored he comes down and hangs around the mill) was looking for little items to sell at a chili supper to raise money for a youth center he is building. We swept up all the planer shavings one afternoon and put them in bags and I saved more the next few days. He sold every one of them at the door, I don't remember how many we had, but I bet it was 50+.
Now I keep them around to sell to people who just want to come and talk, at least I get $2 out of them ::). Since the label has my contact info on it, I drum up some future work.
Some people who are already buying say "throw a couple of those in" to even out a $100 bill or whatever so I don't have to make change. I save my hickory, apple, mulberry and cherry too, great BBQ chips.
My little brother came up from Florida last week. He lives on a boat in the Tampa area. He shoved his coat pockets plum full of bags of cedar for sticking around the boat. I guess they let him on the plane with it all Sunday, I haven't heard different.

Bro. Noble

I really don't have anything to add,  just got to thinking about the'duplicarvers'.  Anyone use one of those?  are they still being made?  Isn't that how Woodmizer started out?
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Paul_H

They used to carve Woodmizers out of wood? I didn't know that  :P
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bro. Noble

Dars probably three or two tings you don't know smarty pants--------hey isn't that the UPS truck I hear coming :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Quartlow

Quote from: Paul_H on January 26, 2006, 11:45:57 AM
I think it's the milk truck  :D

Either that or the cows got the pickup started and are headed for CA. to be happy cows

;D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Tony

Hey, when whoever carves this ball, gets through carving this ball. ::)
Please  :D ;D :D ;D

let's see some pics

8) 8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Daren

I sent an e-mail to him 10 minutes after he posted like he asked, saying I could do it. I don't know if anyone here is making it for him. ???
I may make one anyway, just to post a pic and try to sell it to someone else. Or better yet I do have a nephew on the way (2-3 weeks), the babies room is all sports decorated, his dad is a fanatic. The babies name is Wesley (or Whesley, better make sure), instead of the Wilson brand I could put his name on it in the same style. I did the same thing with a softball bat I made quite awhile ago. Instead of "Louisville Slugger" it said "Lovington Slugger" (that is where I live Lovington) I built a rocking chair for the niece and I ought be thinking about what to make the new guy.

Frank_Pender

I sent a message as well and have heard nothing final.   I do not have the Tennessee Cedar, but offered Western Red, or they could send a couple blocks and we would make what is wanted. :)
Frank Pender

Daren

Good deal Frank, I hope you get something worked out. That will prove this place is where you come when you need something, product, service, advice or just a place to blow off some steam. I know I have gotten my fair share of good advice here, and figure on getting more :P.

Lud

Had two seconds to check the Forum... things are tough in the auto biz plus my box at home (computer that is) is in triage..............anyway:

Darren ,  I consider it a compliment if we think alike.  You just probably do it faster!

I made up baseball bats at Christmastime,  and will put pics in when my box gets better and time allows....even branded them as Ludwigville Sluggers.

So ,  has anyone ever gotten back to you,  Frank?  Anyone carving their balls?   8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!