iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cooking steak the right way

Started by alsayyed, January 24, 2006, 03:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleD

The best way for cook steak I found: I do a hot ember of Ash. I mince sage, rosemary and parsley and put them in olive oil. I put the steak on the grill and wet them with olive oil with herbs. A very good Tasty ;D ;D ;D
Wannabe a sawmiller

fstedy

I have to go with Corley 5, grilling is great but a nice rare steak with the crusty outside seared in a hot cast iorn pan is mighty good eating also. I only season with coarse kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Its nice to find that special steak with the fine marbeling and very dark reddish broen color. MMMMMM good.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Ernie_Edwards

Quote from: Tony on January 24, 2006, 06:37:15 PM
Don't encourage the use of steak sauces.  They cover up the taste of the steak.

Could not agree more Tom, I've just about got the Mrs. to slack off on the
sauces.  ;D    "Hey they are good without the A-1"  :D

Tony 8)

I once knew a cook/chef at a great steak place in southern Arizona.  If a patron asked the server for a steak sauce the chef, a big burly guy, would make a show out of coming to the diners table and ask "What is wrong with the steak? You think it tastes so bad you have to kill the taste?".

That usually not only kept the diner from wanting the sauce, but ever coming back again. Chef didn't care, he owned the place. By the way, his steak were the best, cooked over a mesquite fire.

Luckyfarmer

I been an old cattle feeder for 50 years.  I want mine hard feed on corn for long time for great flavor. I think you will find that putting salt on before cooking will make it tougher.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Ianab on January 25, 2006, 12:10:08 AM
You may find that NZ and Aussie beef has less fat than what you are used to. The cattle graze on grass only and are almost never fed grain or other supplements. But so long as the beast is in good condition there should be a nice marbling of fat thru the meat.

You cook it pretty much the same way though  :)

Ian

I seen cattle feeding on what they call grass in Florida (felt like straw under my feet) and I could see the ribs stickin out rubbin on their hide they was so hungry.  ::) Sure along way from fields of timothy and clover with nice plump cattle enjoying life for the moment. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Max sawdust

Alsayyed,
Your hot fire is fine in my opinion.  Reduce cooking time in half.  As said in many posts do not play with the meat, cook on one side and flip cook and pull off the fire.  Let the steak rest until it is done, if after 5- 8 min the steak is not done to your taste, toss it back on for a little while. 

This way you get a crusty steak on the outside, and nice and even pink in the middle.  (My wife and I like strip steaks that are cooked medium to medium rare.)

THink of cooking steak like driving a motor boat, even after you let off the gas you keep going.  Steak is like that. ;D

After reading many of these posts, I will need to have steak some time this week ::) ::)
Max

True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

beenthere

Ernie
My thoughts exactly about steak sauce. If the restaurant asks me if I want steak sauce, I say "I hope not". If the steak is bad, I tell them about it and don't get steak there again.  I also don't like when the meat tenderizer has been used. Had a filet mignon once that fell apart under the fork when ordered medium rare. It was pink inside, 2" thick, and just mush.

Others
Very good steak cooking guidance here. Hot fire, sear on one side, flip and sear on the other for a time, then one last flip at lower heat.   Serve on the red side. If guests want it more done, then hit theirs in the microwave to 'brown' it for them. It doesn't do much other than change the color a bit.

Like my beef and venison on the grill in 2" thick size for best grilling. Prefer to eat venison over beef, and always prefer venison on the grill. Never use any spices or marianating (same as steak sauce, as if it needs it, then it is spoiled meat).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mometal77

you really want to make a great steak there are a few key elements.

1. Always leave the steak out on the counter for about an hour, uncovered, so it becomes room temp. Trying to grill a cold steak not only makes the steak shrink, but at the same time it makes the muscle fiber tighten up which results in a tough steak.

2. Always rub/brush the steak with a small amount of olive/canola oil. This small amount of extra fat allows the steak to sear faster, thus sealing the juices inside.

3. Seasoning - now this all depends on the cut of beef. If you have a Ribeye, T-Bone, NY Strip, or Tenderloin, you do not want to ruin it by using a marinate or rub. Simply using Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, and garlic lend a wonderful enhancement to the great flavor of those cuts. Now if you have something like a Sirloin, Blade, or Flat-iron Steak, I would suggest a rub, marinade or a more flavorful seasoning.

Here is a steak seasoning that I created years ago and everyone seems to enjoy it.
Mix together:
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 dash coriander
1 dash turmeric

You can use a clean coffee grinder or a mortar and pestal to mix these up. Then put in a shaker bottle, and use as you would any dry seasoning.

4. Get the grill nice and hot on one side (this way when the steak is nice and seared, you can move it to a not so hot part of the grill to cook to your liking), as far as the hot side goes... if you can hold your hand 3-inches above the grate for more than 3 seconds, then it is not hot enough. (I personally use grove charcole, it is uncompressed, and burns extremely hot. It's is also sometimes called Coke charcol, and can be found at some hardware store, and most butcher shops)

5. This has to be the most important step. LET IT REST!!! Put the steaks on a warm or hot plate, and cover it with foil for 5 minutes to let the juices distribute evenly throughout the meat. The purpose of the warm/hot plate is so you are not cooling the steaks by putting them on a cold plate.

Let me know how this works out for you.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Bibbyman

Mary's older brother was a big man.  So big it no doubt contributed to him dieing in bed at age of 56.

Anyway, he was a batcher all his days and learned how to cook pretty well.  When he worked as a carpenter,  he'd carry an old grill out of a stove and some seasoned hardwood firewood with him.  Come about mid-morning, he'd arrange some concrete blocks or bricks in some safe place and start a fire.

Come about lunch time they'd chip in and someone would make a run to the grocery store and get some pork steaks.  He'd grill them.  Often he'd bring along potatoes that were cleaned and wrapped in foil.  He'd drop them into the edge of the fire and by lunch time they were done.

He was always invited along on hunting and fishing trips.  I don't think he got out and hunted or fished much but he was always the camp cook.

We could depend on him being over about one day a week.  Not just drop by – but all day, three meals worth and more. 

One day just he and I were here so we got out a deer back strap or two and sliced it up and grilled it.  It made a heaping dinner plate full.  I had one or two.   He just kept sliding more onto his plate until they were all but gone. Then he said, "You know, there's something about venison.  I can eat and eat and eat it and not get filled up."  "Yea. Right!"  I thought.  "You could pour syrup over rocks and you'd eat until the bucket was empty." 

Well, a couple of months passed and we were out someplace and we'd stopped to eat at a catfish place.  We were talking about it on the way home.  I had remembered what he'd said about the venison and said "You know, there's something about catfish.  I can eat and eat and eat it and not get filled up."  Whoooh!  Did he ever get miffed!  "You can't keep your mouth shut about anything can you?"  Apparently his two younger sisters had been ribbing him about his statement and he'd got a little sore.   
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

My ribs would be sore too.....from laughing so hard. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dana

Our cattle are grass fed only no corn or other grains. The steaks are marbled and tender, and we haven't had any complaints about heart attacks either ;) See our website in my profile page.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Tom

Granddad fed us  field beef back in the 1950's and I liked it.

Max sawdust

Quote from: Dana on January 25, 2006, 08:58:01 PM
Our cattle are grass fed only no corn or other grains. The steaks are marbled and tender, and we haven't had any complaints about heart attacks either ;) See our website in my profile page.
Nice web page, I grew up on beef like that. We raised Angus on hay and pasture, next door farmer raised long horn Mungs (koreans) woudl come down and have him shoot one with the rifle in the field they would process it on the hide 8) :D
Max
Now that is fresh natural beef :)
PS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I had to go get some 2" Strip steaks for the grill tonight after reading this thread for a day :D :D :D :D :D :D :o ::)
Yum yum they were Perrrfect on the grill :)
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Tom

What, in the Flivverseat, is a Flat Iron Steak.  We were in Pigeon Forge last year and ate at a resturant that was good a  year before.  This time we wanted a steak, so I ordered a sirloin. The waitress came back later and said they didn't have sirloin.  "Well do you have a NY Strip?" 

"I don't know"

"well then, if you do, I want a NY strip"

A while later she returned, looking rather chagrined and said that the chef told her that all they served was a Flat Iron Steak.

"what is a Flat Iron Steak?"

"I dunno."

I got catfish.

When I was in the Navy, years ago, we were in the British West Indies and the crew noticed that the meat had a funny sweet taste to it.  It was the same whether we were on one side of the island or the other.  It had to be the meat.

Later we were told that it was New Zealand Beef. 

"What is New Zealand Beef," we asked.

"Don't know", said lthe quartermaster.  "It's probably got sheep in it."  (I think he said sheep)

We didn't know, but it satisfied our curiosity.  In all honesty, I have always figured that it might have been a little ripe.  It's not like the BWI's had a lot of refrigeration.    BWI's.   That's pronounced BeeWee's, by theway.  :D :D

mometal77

Getting hungry so is this what it means when you become an old man your wife puts you out to pasture? :D :D :)
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Ernie_Edwards

alsayyed,

When a month of sundays have come and gone, giving you enough time to try all these recipies, you will have to let us know which one your kids liked the best.

Sure am enjoying this thread.

Ernie Edwards

isassi

Hey Tom; A Flat iron steak is a cut from a different part of the cow, as I understand it, but when cut correctly, is just like a New York or Kansas City strip cut. Seems like it comes from chuck roast? Anyway, when we had a calf processed before Christmas, I asked the cutter about it and he said he didn't cut for it, and would charge extra if I wanted it. If any of you guys ever get the chance, the way to get great beef is buy from a farmer direct, then the slaughter house direct, then to your freezer...and what a difference in your grocery bill..besides having great meat avaialble instead of beef from God knows where. I paid 1.30 a pound, hanging weight, and the processing was 240 bucks or so. Bottom line is I have $2 a pound invested in a freezer full of beef, pot roast for Sunday dinner, steak on saturday night (big, thick ones), great hamburger that doesn't fry out a skillet full of grease...and on and  on....you guys should try it. Oh yeah...one last thing...I know the beef I am eating has no hormones or other unknowns in it. ;D

Norm

Flat iron steak is cut from the upper front quarter of beef, it is a new cut that would have been ground into hamburger before. It is very good if you like rare steak cut into thin strips for sandwhiches, I don't care for it as a full cut in place of reqular steak.

Last night I took a flank steak that I marinated in a dry rub for a day and slapped it on a very hot fire. Turn once and then cover with foil and put it in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes. Cut into very thin strips and put on grilled buns with grilled onions and my secret dressing. Umm ummm, makes standing out in the cold grilling worth it.

I will say every time I see Toms picture I drool all over my keyboard, that's what steaks for grilling should look like.

Bro. Noble

Joasis is right about the source of your beef.  You gotta start out with good meat to begin with.  In addition to his comments,  I would like to add that it is better to get a processor that will come to your animal to kill and dress it.  You have better meat if the animal isn't stressed by loading and hauling.  Get an animal that has enough fat cover that it can be aged at least a couple of weeks before being cut and wrapped.  Avoid processors that do deer (during deer season)  because they won't have the time or space to let yours age.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SPIKER

aagggghhhaaa:  droolin g now,  I jsut had bacon, sausage links & egs for din din...

good le steak sounds nice to me!

I like how a few have put it, a GOOD HOT fire, seere on one side and flip once, aftrer2~4 min, cook for next 3~4 min on 2nd side, take off and cover for a few min while you load up on the side fixens on the plate.  take & toss on the steak & eat...   it should still be finishing cooking by the time it hits bottom ;)

depending on cut & thickness I do use different spices & marinade, never the same thing, usually just from taste & what I find in the spice rack of the day...   also cut is major play in it.  good cut usually can have nothing more than a bit of pepper & olive oil rub. for a lesser cut or when the woman is eating it with me I do something like the following.

I like a red wine mix with (aldolphs) tenderizer kosure salt/pickling salt, black pepper, a bit of margoram & or basil if I have some fresh.   this with a GOOD olive oil rub & l let it soak for a good 3 hrs or so and then like other said let warm up to room temp prior to cooking. (I usually get the steak out when I start a dry wood fire. by the time it cooks down to cooking state they are warm.   if partaking in any of the liquid refreshment you may also be warmed up good too :o lol ) "a little wine for me a little for the steaks a little more for me  lol pretty soon you don't really care if they are raw or even cooked   8) :D"  anyhow a good olive oil for cooking is extra virgin "a light color, not the darker stuf" also COLD PRESS for cooking.

I love a good cast iron & gas/propane cook top.  really can make a great steak that way, coating the cast first with a good seasoning oil, canola works better than olive oil for this but good ole LARD is best... 
use of the electric stove is teriable for cooking/grilling meat  plane & simple.  last week I made up some bacon of which on my propane stove this week same bacon bought same day same store looked same cooked on her stove (electric)  tasted terriable but the first one was cooked on MY cast iron skillet this one on her cast one...   also I ahve about 6~10 different cast cook wares only about 4 of them are really worth having.  I keep trying to get the others to take a seasoning or what but they simply don't cook well or taste nearly as good...???   wonder why.?

anyhow got to get me a big ole steak now for saterday & grill em up.

ok one question what kinds of wood do you all prefer for open cooking outside?
I been using sweet/wild cherry mostly, but this last time I used a bunch of beech which worked VERY well.   just burgers but they were exccellent made wiht the cheapest ground beef available.  lots of fat into the fire and had some flameing up problems but they were like 1~1.5" thick and as big as a big bun!  good 1/2 lbers after cooking  :o   

a few friend like apple but I have been told it contains high amounts of arsnic in the woods and that can get into the foods...   oak works in a pinch but seems much harder to get quick coals.  anyhow any other wood I should be looking at for BBQing?

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Tom

Mark,

The best, old standby is hickory or pecan.

I prefer one of the Red Oaks.  Usually it's water oak or Laurel Oak around here.  It is smokey flavorful but can have a bit of a bite.  I use Cherry, hickory, bay, and those types of sweet woods for flavor rather than heat and usually just add a sliver, now and again as I cook.  It helps to take the bite out. 

Oak makes the best coals. 

SwampDonkey

And avoid spruce and fir, the taste of burnt pitch just doesn't do it for me.  ::)  ;D

I do like sugar maple smoke, but I think Tom's recommendations are hard to go wrong with. As I said earlier I'm not a big steak fan of late, used to eat alot when younger and it was good meat to. So tender and juicy ya didn't have to chew it, you could cut it with a fork. ;) I dunno what this stuff is they sell in supermarkets.  ::)

IMERC

show it a warm room for 30 seconds to a side....
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Luckyfarmer

I fatten my own steer, usually to 1100 lbs.  We have a great locker here that will hang them for 14 days and if not busy 21 days .  the long hang will grow whiskers on it but scrapes off.  That is what makes your meat tender.  I kill one a year but give the kids lots.  There is no comparsion against grocery store meat 8)

Buzz-sawyer

THat sounds good...........
If a fella tries to raise his own steer here in Illinois, and then butcher it........you instanly become a criminal.....gotta pay another fella to do it for ya.....
:o  :o :o
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!