iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SPOOKY ---UPDATE

Started by Fla._Deadheader, January 23, 2006, 10:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Since I have been visiting my Amiga in San Jose for the past year, there has been something spooky happening.

Every once in a great while, there is a distinct odor emitted right at the landing area of the staircase leading to the bedrooms and bath, and outdoor porch area. It never gets above or below half-way on the staircase.

Usually it is a chemical aroma, not quite like anything I've ever smelled before. Tonight, it's similar to fried fish ???

It's definitely NOT from outside, and the apartment is concrete walled, so, it can't be from a neighbors kitchen.  :-\ :-\  This is the third time in about 1 year.  ??? ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

Do you believe in ghosts?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

If you think back, do you think you could correlate it to bean burrito nights?

(Look of concern smiley here)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

getoverit

Harold, I would suggest the next time you smell this, see if a match will stay lit in the odor area. You are in the land of volcano's, and they are known for emitting CO2 gasses and other gases. I'm sure that you know what hydrogen sulphide smells like since you lived in Fl, but some of the others have distinct odors too. If it is CO2, the match should go out (if you can get it lit in the first place).
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Jeff

What if its methane? :o
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

The whole apartment complex is concrete. Every inch of concrete floor is covered with ceramic tile. The aroma is 5 feet above the main floor, and at the landing where you turn and proceed up the stairs.

I'm at a loss to understand where this could possibly be coming from, and why does it not travel somewhat ?? The aroma stays in the exact same area each time and suddenly disappears. If you sniff around the walls, the aroma is not close. It is in the middle of the open area. Not near the walls or the floor. The ceiling is high in the stairway.

Do I believe in Ghosts ??  Not sure.

Never had a Bean Burrito  ::) ::) ::)

Really doubt if it's CO2 or Hydrogen or methane or any other flammable gas.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

I have been doing a quick study of Mind Control based on the U.S. Governments experiments in WWII and also some bits of information I've gleaned from the Internet of efforts of late.  Next week you should smell Banana Pudding.

crtreedude

I have always said that the Central Valley stinks - now you have proof!  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Teri

its probably one of them invisible aliens   :D :D :D

asy

I have the solution for you...

stop pharting downstairs.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on January 23, 2006, 11:53:28 PM

Never had a Bean Burrito  ::) ::) ::)

Never had a Bean Burrito!!!
Man I could not live without Bean Burrito's from my favorite hole in the wall.

I live in my Dad's house. The last few years of his life I would complain about the smell, He spent alot of time near the stove and fridge. I used to get after him about cleaning and then do it for him.

Dad has been gone for 3 years now and I really miss him. Every now and then over by the kitchen I would smell that smell that I would get after him about.

I have been renovating the Kitchen and during the teardown process I found a LOT of mouse nest in the wall behind the sink and that was the smell.

I'm sorry I got after you Dad you weren't a saint but I sure was wrong about that one.
Jon ::)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

estiers

Might be triggered by something like memories??  I was a swimmer in high school and would often finish a lap, come out of the water and smell bananas.  ???  Asked all around and none of them smelled it.... :-\
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Fla._Deadheader

Last night, several people were in the apartment, and they all smelled it  ??? ??? ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

The answer probably is this: We don't have air-tight construction here. I don't care how much concrete you have, the roof is tin or something like it.

Airtight construction is a silly thing when you live in a climate where you don't need heating and cooling.

Those smells could be a random swirl from another apartment - probably are.

Fla._Deadheader

Normally I would agree, but, it's in the one end of the apartment, partway up the stairs. NOWHERE ELSE. These apartments are very nice, not what you normally picture, Fred.
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Well - it could always be the witches of Escazú! (Bruja in Spanish)

You think I jest - but if you go to Escazú you will see a witch on a broom on one of the buildings. Escazú is known for it's witches.

Perhaps that is because so many spoil rich Gringas live there?

You are sliding down a slippery slope on this one. The average Tico is superstitious - the stories I could tell...

Pretty soon I bet they think you are a demon or something.  ::)

Fla._Deadheader

We were sitting at the table, having breakfast this morning.
Yesterday, I bought a new half-gallon plastic jug for carrying drinking water. It's sitting on one of the steps in the stairway. I was reading the Forum, when Reina puts her hand on my arm and starts to squeeze, hard  :o :o

I turn to look at her, and she is staring at the plastic jug. Won't take her eyes off of it. She SWEARS that jug was turning back and forth as it was sitting there. She heard it moving and looked over at it, to see it moving.
   No wind, no terramoto's, no nothing ??????????????????
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Indigestion from Grits? That's my best guess...  ::)

Fla._Deadheader

No grits this morning. Out of queso Jalapeño .  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

thedeeredude

Perhaps there is a space time continuum on the stair landing.  Maybe someone 200 years ago smells bad because they haven't showered and they really are standing at that spot but you can't see them because they're in a different dimension, but you can smell them.  But maybe, no I'm definately wrong :D.  I think you just have a ghost :)

crtreedude

Residue de Grits...

You all tell me that grits have staying power - well, I think here is proof...

Murf

You say the building is all concrete?

Mebbe there's a water pipe in a wall in that area that has a little leak. It wouldn't ake much of a leak to cause some deterioration da concrete, that would give of a sort of chemical smell.  ::)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

thurlow

Friend of mine got married "Way back when"..........before the days of  living together before marriage and there was still the concept of sin.  He and the bride were both quite innocent and hadn't known each other very long.  After the reception, they get into his car and head down the road;  haven't gone very far before he realizes that SHE SMELLS BAD.  Winter time, the car is closed up and SHE REALLY SMELLS BAD!  He's afraid to say anything to his bride of about an hour;  he finally realizes that she is giving him some very funny looks.  When it gets so bad he can't stand it, he asks about the odor;  she thinks it's him.  Turns out some of his friends have dumped a few cans of flat-can sardines on the manifold of the car.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

crtreedude

Could be a reaction from one of the many volcanoes which circle the Central Valley...

Corley5

Sounds like a job for "Ghostbusters" ;) :D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!