iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this a deal or a lemon ?

Started by Grappletractor, January 23, 2006, 08:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grappletractor

I've found this home made mill  for sale . If the motor is ok could I go wrong in buying it for such a cheap amount ?

A homemade portable band-saw mill.
Milling system includes hydraulic log lifter, hydraulic clutch, and hydraulic band tension. Pneumatic Log stabilizer and electric up/down controller.
1 7/8 ball reciever and hitch, axel with 15 inch tires.
18 horsepower Briggs engine for plenty of power.
Comes with 3 band blades 1 sharp. Extras avalible from Woodmizer.
You haul or transport.
$2200.00 check or &2000.00 cash

isassi

How could you resist? Lots of parts there worth far more then the 2 grand price......

Tom

It's impossibel to say without seeing and operating it.   It doesn't even matter how well built it is if stuff isn't lined up properly.  The blads have to track true and cut straight.  The guides have to accurate and maintainable.  The bed has to be flat and in line with the blade as well as adjustable.    Having something as strong as a tank is no good if it doesn't cut straight.

Grappletractor

Wouldn't everythng you've mentioned be fixable without too much trouble and expense ?

Fla._Deadheader

How much mechanical ability do you have ??  Have any idea how things need to be lined up ??

I'm not raggin ya, anything is possible. There's so many guys on here that would offer help, you can't go too far wrong.

Will the owner demo it ?? If not, take something long and exactly perfectly straight and lay it on the bunks, end ways. Look for even touching of every bunk. Are the bunks adjustable ??

Take a stout string and stretch it tight as possible across the face of both band wheels to see if they are close to even.

Are the blade guides adjustable ??  The more adjustments built into the machine, the better your chances of making it saw well.

Answer these questions and you will see if it's something you can work with. Me, I'd go for it anyways. I'm a glutton for punishment. Good Luck
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

isassi

I was making note of what you would get, let alone condition of the mill. I agree with Tom completely that you would have to inspect it carefully for alignment issues, ect. Suppose the guy would let you saw a log or 2 and see how it works? 3 bands and 1 sharp mean you have only 1 sharp band or sharpening equipment comes with it?

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Fixable yes, without trouble and expense? Depends on how well it was built to start with.
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

wiam

If it looks straight then go for it.  With that much log handling you could put guides and some other parts on it and still be ahead. 

Will

Tom

Grappletractor

I don't mean to imply that alignment isn't fixable.  What I'm trying to say is that the means of alignment must have been provided.   A commercially produced mill has had a lot of this engineering applied.  A home-built mill may not.

I've seen homebuilts where everything was lined up and welded with the idea that nothing would ever move again.  The first log moved everything.  Once caught in this predicament, re-aligning is almost impossible and you end up with a mill that needs to be rebuilt.  Sawmills aren't the "bulldozers" that many people think. Sawmills are finely tuned instruments that get their job done with finesse', not a strong arm. 

wiam

Grappletractor,   What we are all trying to say here is more pics, closeups,lots of them.

Will

Grappletractor

OK he just got back to me with an e-mail asking me what I'd like to know about it .
I live a days drive from this mill so driving there just to have a look isn't an option.
So besides more pictures , ajustable blade guides and ajustable bunks what more should I ask him ?

isassi

A days drive is a haul. but if you were going to buy it, you would make the trip anyway...take a few logs with you and see how it does. A picture is worth a thousand words, but is only in 2 dimensions. Whenever I buy equipment, I always to find out why it is being sold. Good luck

BBTom

I would think that the engine, bandwheels, hydraulics, and electric motors are worth much more than the 2 grand.  Especially if you might someday rebuild or build your own.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

highpockets

I built a mill in 1999 and it does not take much to eat up $2,000.00.  I had about $7,900.00 in parts.  You can do a lot if the basic things are there.  That is my two cents worth. 
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Minnesota_boy

Go take a look at the mill and bring along a pocket full of cash too.  If you like what you see, leave the cash and take the mill.  If you don't like whant you see, count it as a short vacation and take your cash home with you.  Like the guys say, it don't take much parts to add up to $2000.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Fla._Deadheader

If he's willing to demo it, that's 90% of your problem shown up front.

I would make the trip and take money.
   First, it is ridiculed;

etat

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on January 24, 2006, 08:51:24 AM
If he's willing to demo it, that's 90% of your problem shown up front.

I would make the trip and take money.

Yep, I'd take cash money with me.  HOWEVER I'd only have ohhh, i don't know, 16 to 18 hundred in my wallet that he could see.  Then I'd count it out and offer it to em.  Best case, it works.  Worst case, you pulll a few more hundred outta yer other pocket.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Grappletractor

Quote from: cktate on January 24, 2006, 02:30:27 PM

Yep, I'd take cash money with me.  HOWEVER I'd only have ohhh, i don't know, 16 to 18 hundred in my wallet that he could see.  Then I'd count it out and offer it to em.  Best case, it works.  Worst case, you pulll a few more hundred outta yer other pocket.

Ha Ha , ya that's always on my mind being that I am an Old Yankee Trader , :D

sjh

Shame shame! I see you broke Jeff's #1 golden rule and pet peeve. I see a big red X where your pic belongs.If you do not know, look below your name and you see members gallery. You put all pics there.
Scott

Grappletractor

beenthere

Maybe looks is deceiving me, but is the saw head stationary and the log on a carriage on tracks?  Or maybe they both are on short carriages on short tracks, and they both move?  Maybe just my eyesight too  ;D ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

Sure looked that way to me, too.  Figured he didn't know enough about the mill to answer the next 20 questions.  ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

dArN,
>:(
Normally, more pics would help, but ... man.
:P
These seem to make it worse!
:-\
Go there, young man.   See it work.
8)    8)    8)
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Jeff

Looks to me like the mill is in sections and it comes off of the trailer for set up.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

highpockets

Looking at the lift arms, I think it would have to stay at that height to work.  It also looks like there is a carriage that moves the logs under the blade.  If so, I wouldn't think it can saw a very long log.  Still I'd probably but it.  What do I know?
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Thank You Sponsors!