iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pull start cord not going back in...

Started by sigidi, January 23, 2006, 04:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigidi

Well after being through the archive, I found something close to this, but not quite.

Can anyone tell me why the cord won't go back in, well it does go back in but ya gotta fiddle with it  pulling it in and out a bit to get it to spring back in?

Also if I take the side cover off will it go "boing" then I have to do all these wonderfull things to get the spring back in?

Am I better taking it to the shop instead of trying to fix it myself, bearing in mind I've never had this side off any saw and this is my first reall chainsaw?

Thanks for the help
Always willing to help - Allan

Minnesota_boy

If it won't recoil smoothly, but will pull the rope in all the way if you fiddle with it, you probably have a spring that needs cleaned and lubed, or the pin that the recoil drum turns on is dirty, or the mechanism that holds it all together is broken or has come undone.  If you remove the side cover, nothing should spring out at you, unless the mechanism to hold it together is broken.  If that is the case, then remove it carefully and it still won't go boing.  It's much easier to fix those kind of problems if you can see the rewind.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

sigidi

So is there anything special I nee to do when pulling the side cover off? it's a 372xp

I have to use the saw tommorrow (my time) so don't want to be left pulling the chain through the logs myself and our local shop  isn't as fast as I'd like them to be.

I can still use it, it's just annoying, also I don't want to spend $40 per hour for the shop guys to clean my saw

Kevin

Pull the side cover off, just don't remove the pulley.

Minnesota_boy

When you get the side cover off, apply a little Rust Reaper or other light oil to the shaft the pulley turns on and into the spring if you can.  It's likely that is all you need to do unless something is loose or broken.

sigidi

Alright as long as you are all sure I can do this with minimal fuss... I gotta have this saw back together in 18 hours.

SO I put the saw on it's side undo the side cover (but not take the pulley out) and give it a spray with some lube -yeah?

Just we don't have rust reaper over here - maybe an outlet for some forward thinking fellow's?

Kevin

-yeah.

Take the pulley  off when you have more time and want to be entertained for a few hours.  ;D

sigidi

Well a little update...

I took the side cover off, and everyone was right it didn't just go "boing" I worked the cord back and forth, then slowly started to undo the bolt holding the pulley in until it gave me a little clearance, but not enough to let it go "boing" and added some WD40, worked it back and forth, did a bit of jiggling and now am pleased to report ( with the much needed aid of the FF )I now have a fully returning pull start cord ;D ;)

8) THanks to everyone - I knew you could do it 8)

Minnesota_boy

Good job!  At some point in the future you will likely have to replace the spring, but that could be years ahead.

Thank You Sponsors!