iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Perfect weather

Started by beenthere, January 23, 2006, 04:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Just a great day for splitting and stacking firewood, about 24°F and the sun shining. About a weeks worth of wood palletized for winter in about 25 minutes.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CHARLIE

It's a beautiful day over here in New Richmond too.  I've been outside with wearing my heavy flannel shirt and no jacket.  I've been spending the day in my workshop at my lathe, which is setup so I can look out a window. You are right though......a beautiful crisp day. 8)   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

crtreedude

75 degrees today, we had just a touch of rain for about 15 minutes. Beautiful light breeze.

All in all, pretty boring weather - after all, this is what it has been most of the time for the last year...  ;D ;D ;D

So, how did I end up here anyway?

treeboy

crtreedude, how are the summers down there? Please tell me they are too hot to bare.

I do like the tropics for a holiday, but I prefer having four seasons a year ;D

Tom

I'll  have to agree that 24 degrees f. is a great day for making firewood.  If that kind of temperature doesn't give you incentive to create some fuel, nothing will.  :D

Minnesota_boy

Tom,

You're wrong.  24 degrees is way too warm for wood splitting.  The snow sticks to the wood a bit, gets on your gloves and melts, leaving you with soaked gloves and cold hands.  Better to split it when it's near zero.  The snow doesn't stick to the wood, if any does it won't melt and wet your gloves, and better yet, it's much harder to work up a sweat so you can't use that for an excuse to quit.  If you're splitting with a splitting maul instead of a hydraulic splitter, then -20 to -30 is best.  The wood splits easier when it's that cold and you never work up a sweat.  In fact you have to keep splitting to keep from freezing to death.  How much more incentive do you need than that?  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

crtreedude

Treeboy,

I am sorry to have to inform you that the summers are nearly the same as the winters. That is what the tropics mean. We live at 2,000 feet, the beaches get warm (90 degrees) but up here is wonderful year round.

We have two seasons a year, rainy and dry - or Tourist and Peaceful if you prefer...

Tom

Minnesota Boy,

How in the world can you use -200 and "sweat" in the same sentence.  :D :D

crtreedude

Oh, and treeboy, I don't think it is ever too hot to bare (I think you meant bear...)

The less clothes the better when it is hot in my opinion.  :D

Burlkraft

Hey BT,

It's really nice being able to palletize your wood...then just pick 'em up with the big Green Machine.

That cuts out a whole loading and unloading and stacking of the wood again ;D ;D ;D

It was nice today...I was working on the living room with just brief trips outside to use the mitre saw.

TreeDude....

I don't know how you are able to tollerate that weather :) :) :) :)

Cheap good coffee too..........Now I know why Harold went there ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

treeboy

QuoteOh, and treeboy, I don't think it is ever too hot to bare (I think you meant bear...)

opps, sorry thats what I get for trying to type and watch my kids at the same time :-[, sounds nice down there.

Coon

And they say that Canadian winters are long and cold....

Today here in east central Saskatchewan it was only -3 degrees celcius and beautiful out this morning.  There was a few clouds in the skies above and they were moving fast. That was about 9 am this morning and by about 10:30 it started to rain and eventually WET snow.  Our winter as a whole has been with above normal temperatures for the most part.  Not even like winter is supposed to be >:( >:(  Been too mild here on the prairies to be in the bush logging.  Swamps aren't even completely frozen and now there's too much snow for the frost to set..  Abnormal horror frosts are showing that we will be having a very wet and rainy summer.  I guess it will be a constant struggle to get our logs out  this winter and will have to build a saw shed to keep out of the rain during the sawing season.  Doesn't look like I will be sawing anymore high grade spruce lumber for paneling.....  Not going to make no messy lumber from the half frozen and half thawed logs.  It's just not an option.  They'll still be there and of the same grade in the spring.....
Guess that's more than just my 2 cents in this 2 bit world.
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

swampy

When it was 24 degrees out when I was a kid in Arky, the only way I would see wood is watching it burn in the stove. It was too cold to go out and just warm enough to stay in. When we had the dairy farm it was never too cold out. ;) ;) ;) ;) Them there cows needed lookin after. ;) ;) :D :D
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

wiam

Beenthere what brand is that splitter it looks alot like mine except mine is connected to a rotohoe brand rototiller drive minus the tiller. ::)  I can drive it around. ;D  Is the tube under the cylinder the resevour?

Will

CHARLIE

Weather here in New Richmond turned to "Hashbrown" tonight. Snow and wind and that ain't a real good combination.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

beenthere

Yup, wind picking up alright. Talking gusts up to 46mph tomorrow. Batten down the hatches. But supposed to be in the low 30's.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

Quote from: wiam on January 23, 2006, 10:08:32 PM
Beenthere what brand is that splitter it looks alot like mine except mine is connected to a rotohoe brand rototiller drive minus the tiller. ::)  I can drive it around. ;D  Is the tube under the cylinder the resevour?
Will

It is a TimberKing, out of Indiana and bought in 1985.  It has a tube crossing underneath between the wheels that is the oil reservoir. Nothing in the tube that holds the 'push' anvil. It has an 8hp B/S and has been a real good runner. I fashioned a 3rd wheel with a handle that slips into the 'post' support right beside the trailer hitch, and it rolls around easily by hand or behind the tractor. From the picture, looks like it is time for a cleaning and some new paint. Didn't realize it looked so ratty.  :)

south central Wisconsin

Fla._Deadheader

Looks kinda-------well-----USED  8) 8) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

janet

Getting ready to watch the sunset with a glass of wine, on my porch, which registers 75 at the moment.  Think we got all the way up to 78 today, at nearly 5000 feet. LIVING outdoors is a great reason to be here.
And, yeah, 90 is HOT here...anywhere in the country.
Ah, life in the tropics...
I do NOT miss those four seasons AT ALL.
8)
Janet

UNCLEBUCK

It has been a mild low 30"s here for the high for many weeks and very boring but today it was blizzard conditions and roads closed but yet almost 30 degrees .  I have a ton of free basswood burning from all the summer storms. It dont split very good at this temp but at 10 below zero the splitting maul "me" it just pops the chunks . When it mild out the spliitng maul "me" it just sticks in the chunk . I never knew green basswood burned if it is split but it gets really hot but it takes twice as much as a good hardwood .  I hope to have a woodsplitter someday like yours beenthere . You been a busy beaver . Excellent pics beenthere or as Harold would say now " excellento"  :D

This morning all the wind driven snow stuck to my shack !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Thank You Sponsors!