iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Project Done....

Started by Captain, January 23, 2006, 05:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

You learn a lot about people when you're going to rely on them.

Remember this picture??

Well we finished yesterday.  I built this for a friend's father in law.  It is my biggest building to date for hire, so I gave him a good estimate for the experience...and the ability to estimate the time required to build the next one better.  In that estimate deducted time my friend was going to help out.  Well, work and family schedules plus weather difficulties, I only got him for about 4 hours.  :(

So we're done, 6 weeks from when the ground work really started.  We overcame flooded holes for the post bases (and had to switch to 8" schedule 30 pipe poured in chimney blocks as footers instead of Sonotubes).  We endured New England Winter with frozen lumber and cold temperatures.  We even got a few days of a break in the weather where we were working in a 55 degree January Thaw.

I've got to tabulate the number of hours I spent over there and find out how we did.  Now to get he bill paid....

Here it is....

WOW, 2 projects this weekend.  The store is open, and the building is done.  Back to work this week to rest....and back to sawing next weekend.  ASM anyone??

Captain

iain

"ASM anyone??"  would love one if your running out of space i'm sure i could help you out ;)

Nice bit of timbering you done there

iain

bull

Nice job Captain.. That my spring project. Need to have a place to park the new tractor, doesn't fit in my shop. The door is only 8' and the tractor is 8'6"....

Burlkraft

Looks DanG nice to me Captain 8) 8) 8) 8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Don K

Nice looking shed Captain. Don't things look good that you build and stand back and say I did that. I got your emails and I will be getting one of the tachs soon.   Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

thecfarm

What a fine looking job.I don't understand Another Project Done.Now if you were to say Another project Started......  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

NFDBrian

Hey that building looks familiar!! Uh Oh that last batton on the left hand side looks out of plumb :-*. I can tell you guys that Captain builds one of the most strongest and squarest building on the east coast. I don't think Katrina would of touched this building! :D  Good job!! Wish I could have helped a little more but gotta help out with little one ::) Now lets get logging!!! That 7900 of mine needs a good workout!! 8) You should have know better on "MR. AMBITIOUS" helping you out! He doesn't even split his own firewood. I give Rusty a couple of months and he'll put a trap door (backhoe boom) on the backside!! ;D

Brian
He who dies with the most toys wins!!!!

Husband

Very nice shed there captain.
So when are you coming to New Zealand to try building somthing like that in my backyard using NZ pine?? :D I'll let you cut the boards as well if you want  ;D.

I've even seen the barn he and his wife Lorraine have done for the horses....oh, and captains "things", very nice workmanship, and as Brian said.....SOLID.

Its great seeing what people here do with the timbers that they cut. 8)
I'll post my pics of my project when I'm done as well.....just might be a while, have to wait for this storm to pass so I can go back out to work on it.
Chris

Captain

Yup-Brian helped a bunch, but I've gotta figure out how to pay him back....Thanks Brian...we owe you more than dinner. :)

Captain

Lud

Nice looking structure , Cap.

Just as an alternative  to sonotube- which to me is too smooth and likely to heave , back in '88 when I put a big porch on the side of the house , I used 12" ABS Drain pipe sections.  The corugations give the frozen ground something to lock into,  preventing heave  , you can pour a bit above ground level,  to allow for future grading,   and  the plastic surface can take some banging like from a riding mower and be forgiving.  Takes paint pretty good too.

See,  I welded 1" threaded rod to rebar,  plumbed it, and cemented it in down to frost level. Then I drilled my 6"X6" posts and lowered the center-drilled vertical posts down onto a plate , washer,  and nut  to create a set of built-in jacks on the outer edge of the porch.  It let me tune for drainage and correct for any movement.  It's worked like a charm for 18 years.......
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Captain

Thanks Lud.  I'm going to throw something out for opinion here...

The old swamp yankees in Vermont always said that you want smooth pipe for tubes in the ground so the frost can't grab 'em.  Corregated pipe it can grab and raise.  That is the rule I've lived by.

What do you guys in Canada with big time frost experience say??

Thanks!!

Captain

pep

Hey, I agree with the Captain.  I used 12" ABS plastic pipe for my Deck sono tubes, a little overkill, but I only like to build something once.    The pipes are smooth and buried down 6 ft.  My deck has never moved since it was built in 96, and as Captain says "frost won't grab something smooth".

Cheers Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

pep

BTW Captain

Great looking shed.  I can see that your also a perfectionist! :)

Cheers Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Thank You Sponsors!